Correct Tire Sizing

Pliskin1

Yea, probably another topic beat to death, and you all want to tell me to just look for it, but that's what I got a wife for. Oh wait, I don't have one of those anymore... Anyway:

I'm looking to put 275 50R15 on my stock wheels. They should fit. But when I view the various tires in this size, I see there are some minor differences in diameter:

M/T ET Street R Tires are diameter of 26.30
M/T ET Street Radials are 26.
M/T ET Street S/S Radials are 25.90
Nitto NT 555R are 25.75

What's the exact dimensions on the stock tire so I know what the closest fit is from the above choices? And I guess while we're at it, and preferences on the different MTs? I know - personal preference.

I assume there would also be some speedometer variation. Probably not a big deal - who pays attention to a speedo anyway!

The MT ET- R's have a "slash pattern " in the contact patch as opposed to the regular MT ET S/S Street Radial having an actual tread pattern.

I've had both and really prefer the regular ET S/S's for street/strip application, especially if the car will be ever be driven in the rain. (not a good idea on either tire to be truthful)

The MT Sportsman style tires are a true street tire and will wear longer but won't hook as well.

I have no experience with the Nitto's.

Good luck.

Last edited:
The 255 60 fits best on a stock wheel. 275 50 may or may not rub the frame, each car is different. 275 50 looks cooler though. For the street I run a non drag radial 100 treadwear 275 40 17 Nitto NT01, so it handles well. Then change at the strip to a set of slicks, best of both worlds and last a lot longer. My speedo bounces all over the place so its ballpark anyways for that.

The 255 60 fits best on a stock wheel. 275 50 may or may not rub the frame, each car is different. 275 50 looks cooler though. For the street I run a non drag radial 100 treadwear 275 40 17 Nitto NT01, so it handles well. Then change at the strip to a set of slicks, best of both worlds and last a lot longer. My speedo bounces all over the place so its ballpark anyways for that.
I understand each car is different, and suspension set ups may come in to play.

But looking at the 255 60, the dimensions I'm seeing show this tire at a 27.10" diameter. Wouldn't that actually make it more likely to rub than a 275 50?

No the height isn't much of the problem unless you're going really tall it's usually the bulge of the tire hitting either the frame or the inner fender well/trim.

The taller tire can help at the strip as it helps keep the trans from shifting into od. But this as with anything depends on how fast your car is. I used to get told you needed a 26" tall tire when these cars were new, but I've been running a 255\60-15 for years and see no drawback. I also like a 28x9 slick at the track. Your results may vary.

I ran 255/60 -15 on stock wheel with some success
Or track prep is bad so I went 28-9-15 slick on 8 in Aero wheel cheep and light

Traditional knowledge says: You want the widest patch and the largest dia to shock the tire.

I like the 27" because we have low rpm motors and need to load the turbo to create and use the low end torque. Plus I k ow it will fit. LOL

The 27" at 19 psi air pressure will probably be <26" anyway but will grow and add "gearing" up top.

One thing I have wondered about is psi on the patch. A smaller patch with the same weight will have higher psi and *should* increase friction. Now if the tires spin, all bets are off, but believe suspension setup and technique should than be the next mod.