Correct routing for External wastegate and boost gauge

meenkeene518

Hello all,

As my title says id like to know the proper way to do this. Car runs fine but the lines routing are sorta a mess, but as of now just the external gate is hooked to the 2nd port on the vacuum block, and the map sensor goes to the vacuum brake conversion nipple on the other side. Since i'm not using that conversion one any longer, i was going to switch back to the standard 5 port vacuum block. Can you tee the map sensor line with the external gate and a external boost gauge, making it a 4 way split instead of the normal 3 way split, then run it into the correct port on the block?

Thanks for the help!

Typically, you can run one hose from either your compressor cover hose barb, or one of the vacuum block ports into a Tee. One side of the tee goes to the bottom port of the wastegate. The other side of the Tee, goes into a manual bleeder valve, out of the valve into the top port of the wastegate.

See this picture.

wgdiag1.jpg

The one vacuum line that you do not want to Tee off of, would be your fuel pressure regulator hose. Leave that one alone. Personally, I like to tap the MAP sensor vacuum hose for an aftermarket boost gauge. And the compressor cover barb for the wastegate hoses source.
If your turbo does not have a hose barb, then you can tap from any of the other vacuum block lines, except the fuel pressure regulator hose.
HTH

Patrick

Why wouldn't you want to tap into the fuel pressure vacuum line? That is how I have my boost gauge hooked up right now. I might have to change it. :confused:

I personally do not want to alter that signal line to the fuel pressure regulator, because I want it to be a true / full source of pressure with no chance of leaks under WOT. Any leaks that are created in that one hose, can cause a decrease in fuel pressure. Which can be detrimental to the life of your head gaskets.
Just my O2's worth.

Patrick

Like this is correct or you can use the spring that gets you to the desired boost but that does not give you a lot of room. It can be done any ways but you just can't beat an electronic controller.

Attachments

• wastgate.jpg
    wastgate.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,872
This is a super awesome thread right here. And then another question: How bad is it if the top port on the external wastegate is not used and is left open, then only using a bleeding type manual boost controller on the lower Port of the wastegate using the compressor cover barb for signal?

This is a super awesome thread right here. And then another question: How bad is it if the top port on the external wastegate is not used and is left open, then only using a bleeding type manual boost controller on the lower Port of the wastegate using the compressor cover barb for signal?

I use a Turbonetics Evolution WG. When I installed my new turbo I was getting boost spike (like high 20s) when using the bleeder connected to the top port. I had to disconnect the bleeder and use the WG spring to avoid the spike. I now also have an RJC boost controller. So between that and a 9# spring, I can control / maintain the boost (18lbs). The top port is just open. Nothing connected to it. I guess I could install a screen so nothing gets in there but I think the chances of that are pretty minimal.

Dan