Cooling...So Cal Heat...Alum. Radiators

Taylor04

So it seems that the F-body alum radiator conversion is pretty popular and works well, but I want to know what the people in my area are running for cooling systems. I got home today and the overflow tank was boiling....its definitely time for a cooling system.

-So what does the trick for So Cal Heat? ...and I mean heat, anytime from June to August it can bee 100+* for hours during the day here in the desert.

I'm leaning towards an all aluminum radiator with external trans/oil coolers...going to take some measurements tomorrow

Who's got what?:biggrin:

A Becool Radiator or F-Body, Duel Fan Setup, 160 thermostat, Water Weter or Royal Purple Purple Ice. If at a later date your thinking of going with a front mount Intercooler make sure your Trans Cooler & Oil Cooler are in a spot that won't be in the way. I just run a trans cooler myself.

I run the F-body, duel fans, Royal Purple, no oil cooler, w/ a setrab trans cooler mounted under the front bumper. With the RJC front mount 160-175. I have heard of the end tanks blowing off the F-body radiators do to crank case pressure entering the cooling system while blowing a head gasket with the 700hp + guys.

Check out the link in my sig. Doesn't get much better than that radiator.

First step should ALWAYS be to pop the fan relays off the drivers side inner fender. Unplug them and look to see if all the pins on the relyas and sockets in the connectors are filled with 20 year old die-electric grease. Its like black roofing tar after all those years. It causes terrible conductivity and draws a massive amount of current. The fan spins slow and the whole electrical system wont like you. I had major problems. I used ronsonol liquid lighter fluid (7-11 has it) some toothbrushes, a blowgun, toothpick or any kind of hard pick, and set aside plenty of time to clean it all out right. Keep going till everything is like new. Spray some WD-40 in the sockets and plug it all back up.
Set aside 300 bucks and you'll have a kick ass system if you get the F-Body radiator.
100 bucks for the radiator. Pop the old one out, pop off the upper radiator hose and the thermostat neck, remove the thermostat.. (5 minutes).
Keep the lower hose connected at the block but open at the other end. Stick a garden hose in the bottom radiator hose and flush the whole block out. Itll be messy but its ok cause you have to clean everything anyway when the old radiator is out. Then stick the garden hose in the thermostat hole on the intake and flush. Then go backward again. You're good to go. Have to get that crap out cause the old garbage will clog any new radiator and make the whole mod pointless. Saw the tranny cooler lines off about 8 inches from the tranny and flare the ends with a brake flaring tool. Install the F-Body radiator. Super quick job.
Get about 15 feet of tranny fluid line from autozone, and a few boxes of fuel injection line clamps.
Spend the 60 bucks for a cheapie (which will work fine), or 170 for a kick ass tranny cooler with a fan from Summit. Pull those old steel tranny cooler lines out and install the new tranny cooler with the new rubber lines. Those steel lines rub together and will wear a hole over time and your day will SUCK when you start spraying fluid everywhere, so go rubber, flare the ends, use fuel injection clamps...use 2 of them at each end.
Install an aftermarket oil cooler, but one with big fittings...not the small fitting cheapies from autozone. Call summit and get the right one. I personally just sawed the old lines and looped it around and ran no oil cooler. It probably contributed to my turbo dying, and therefore, my engine when it dumped impeller metal through the system.
In the end, its about 300 bucks and you will NEVER run hot in socal traffic in the dead of summer, with the AC on. The total bill in the end will be less than just the radiator from most places.
Run royal purple ice stuff or water wetter if you like. Just make sure to do the flush like I said first, do the relay connector cleaning AND DONT BYPASS THE OIL COOLER.

First step should ALWAYS be to pop the fan relays off the drivers side inner fender. Unplug them and look to see if all the pins on the relyas and sockets in the connectors are filled with 20 year old die-electric grease. Its like black roofing tar after all those years. It causes terrible conductivity and draws a massive amount of current. The fan spins slow and the whole electrical system wont like you. I had major problems. I used ronsonol liquid lighter fluid (7-11 has it) some toothbrushes, a blowgun, toothpick or any kind of hard pick, and set aside plenty of time to clean it all out right. Keep going till everything is like new. Spray some WD-40 in the sockets and plug it all back up.
Set aside 300 bucks and you'll have a kick ass system if you get the F-Body radiator.
100 bucks for the radiator. Pop the old one out, pop off the upper radiator hose and the thermostat neck, remove the thermostat.. (5 minutes).
Keep the lower hose connected at the block but open at the other end. Stick a garden hose in the bottom radiator hose and flush the whole block out. Itll be messy but its ok cause you have to clean everything anyway when the old radiator is out. Then stick the garden hose in the thermostat hole on the intake and flush. Then go backward again. You're good to go. Have to get that crap out cause the old garbage will clog any new radiator and make the whole mod pointless. Saw the tranny cooler lines off about 8 inches from the tranny and flare the ends with a brake flaring tool. Install the F-Body radiator. Super quick job.
Get about 15 feet of tranny fluid line from autozone, and a few boxes of fuel injection line clamps.
Spend the 60 bucks for a cheapie (which will work fine), or 170 for a kick ass tranny cooler with a fan from Summit. Pull those old steel tranny cooler lines out and install the new tranny cooler with the new rubber lines. Those steel lines rub together and will wear a hole over time and your day will SUCK when you start spraying fluid everywhere, so go rubber, flare the ends, use fuel injection clamps...use 2 of them at each end.
Install an aftermarket oil cooler, but one with big fittings...not the small fitting cheapies from autozone. Call summit and get the right one. I personally just sawed the old lines and looped it around and ran no oil cooler. It probably contributed to my turbo dying, and therefore, my engine when it dumped impeller metal through the system.
In the end, its about 300 bucks and you will NEVER run hot in socal traffic in the dead of summer, with the AC on. The total bill in the end will be less than just the radiator from most places.
Run royal purple ice stuff or water wetter if you like. Just make sure to do the flush like I said first, do the relay connector cleaning AND DONT BYPASS THE OIL COOLER.

I replaced all the lightbulbs and found that black tar everywhere, needs cleaning. I'm having some voltage issues also...had to jump it last night. Thanks for the advice...I'll have a cooling system update in a few days...