coolant temp.

jlat

hello men and women; All summer I was worried about my coolant temp being to high. This monday morning in Mass. it was chilly and my coolant temp.was below my thermostate temp. of 180. It was mostly highway driving and I know this can happen when it's really cold but not at this outside temp.
Any words of wisdom on this subject?
IBBY

Thermostat could be stuck partially open not allowing enough flow in the summer and too much in the winter.

Normal for this weather.

On 40 degree days I won't see over 150 with a 160 stat. unless I sit at idle a lot, highway it's completely normal, drive it. :smile:

hey salvage; I once had a 160 in it and that did happen but now with the 180 or 185 I should not see that problem. So I do believe that the stat is stuck as mto suggested.
I just need some time to change it.
And that leads to another question as what would be the ideal coolant temp.
for a all around street driven turbo regal?
IBBY

My ideal temps. are whatever the scanmaster says above 130 and below 220 degrees, well I can go WOT when it's between that range anyway and have for 22 years. :smile:

If you are saying your car never got to 180 to open the thermostat to begin with then it's stuck open.

If it goes to 180 once and then cruises on the highway lower that's normal.

I assumed it opened once. ;)

hello mto; I bought the car from original owner in 92 (I believe) and the engine was just rebuilt. I tried to get more info. on it but could not. Other than suspension mods,kirban wheels, cone K & N, TPS tech., BGC downpipe,RJC exhaust,3" cat. I think that's it. The injectors and chip are stock 86 T-type. There could be more but I think that's it.
What's kinda weird I got the BGC 5 row rad. years ago and it never helped my cooling.
180 or 185 stat also
IBBY

same issue here in minnesota

I have the exact same issue and I'm using a 160* t-stat. Idle or city driving it's fine, but on the hwy it can get down to 140* and the car begins to run like crap; torque converter unlocks and the chip enters open loop. I spoke with Eric at TurboTweak and 147* is the standard switch point for TC lockup and closed loop operation on his chips. For this reason, I'd recommend trying to keep it above 150*, at least I wish I could. Not ruling out the possibility of my t-stat not closing all the way though.

How much cooler was it than 180*? What was the outside temp? What your seeing sounds normal in cool weather. When you first do a cold start does the temp go up to 180+ then drop?

hello mikster; It's about 170 if you can trust those meters I have. But at that temp. the heat isn't as I like and I like heat. Not overwhelming but quality heat. What do you think of maybe the coolant itself being part of the problem? I know I should change it but the cars almost in the put away mode and I'll deal with it all then. But then it will be the cooling thing.
thanks to all for the help
IBBY

hello people; Speaking of heat. I've never replaced my heater control valve. I've had this car for a while and I think it's pretty impressive. I had 69 olds for a long time and if you didn't change out that valve once a year you had no heat.
what do you think
IBBY

The coolant is not the issue unless it is low. The heater control valves can go bad but all you need to do is feel the lines going to the heater core. If they are hot the heater control valve is operating correctly. I also have a 160 thermostat, the heat is not the best. If having good heat is more important to you than performance I would put the stock thermostat back in. Just make sure that if you do put the stock thermostat back in you run the stock chip. Or you can have a peformance one made for the higher coolant temps.

The stocker is 180 which he allegedly has in there.

Make sure the water level is full and water flows through the heater core.

Both sides should be equal temps.

The water control valve can get weak and only partially open and close.

Anything mounted near the heater vents will also cut down on flow and appearance of heat.

First test is make sure it gets to 180 and opens up upon startup on a reasonably cold day like the rest of the week will be.

Then make sure the water goes through the heater core.

Simple tests will get to the bottom of this without speculation. :)

hello men; well counselor I think we have to strip search the prisoner for the alleged thermostate but first we have to get the correct paper work? We do not want to infringe on the prisoners rights.
I'll see what I can do.
IBBY