conversion from R12 to r134

Joeld

I'm confused.
I've replaced the orifice Tube.
I've replaced the accumulator.
I've replaced o-rings.
I've added r134 adapters to high and low side.
The adapters I used are the simple, non-core, hollow adapters.
I've purchased harbor freight gauges and vacuum (run off my compressor).
My confusion is. If the r134 adapters are hollow, with no core, how is the existing core being engaged by my connections on the vacuum gauge? Aren't the valve cores too far away from the fittings to get depressed and then let me pull a vacuum? Seemed like a pulled a vacuum very very quickly, as if I was only pulling on the gauge hoses if you know what I mean rather than the entire car's AC system.
I hope all this makes sense. I just can't understand how the valves can be engaged?? I could better understand if I had to remove the original cores, and the adapters had cores in them.

Thanks, I've been searching for a while and can't find / figure out.

Joel

The gauge set will engage the valves. I just went through my entire system and found a leak at the front of the low pressure switch. It will hold a steady vacuum for days now, but we will see what happens when I charge it. Make sure you don't have any leaks.

Thanks guys
I will be attempting again tomorrow

Thanks for the quick responses

I would think if you hold vacuum you should be good fingers crossed

Joel

Just to let you know that I did the same thing last summer, bought the harbor freight gauges, vacuum pump that runs off the air compressor, and it's still blowing out cold air. I did replace the compressor, condenser, hoses, accumulator, orifice tube, basically the whole system, .... Good luck !!

Chuck

Thanks chuck, funny, I can see you changed the post from initial response :) I have to google each time myself to get the names of the bits each time. The beer can (accumulator), etc. :)
Thanks for the post, this is something I've always wanted to figure out, each time I buy an old vehicle I've never been able to get the AC working, this is the first time I've educated myself on how it works, I never understood before. Amazing how valuable the internet is. 21 mpg Chuck with an 11 second car?? wow. My durango with a 318 gets 16 on a good day.
Joel

I have CRS Syndrome, (can't remember sh*t) and was to lazy to google the names, then I read your initial post again and corrected my sentence.... so much for hoping know one had seen it....
I got to tell you I bought my car new in Feb of 84 and by the time the warranty was out, so was the A/C, but all those years since, I was to cheap to have someone fix it. I just pictured it, I take it to a A/C equipped repair shop, pick it back up in two days, walk up to the counter to pay and the guys says, "turn around, bend over and hold your ankles, this is gonna hurt", so I lived with it. Then last year I hit the big 50, and with the help of the Internet and the guys on these forums, I have cold(20 deg. colder then the outside temp) a/c again.
The 21 mpg was coming home last yr from the BPG Nat's out close to Columbus OH, the cruise control was on and we had it set at 60 mph, after a while you get used to everyone(and I mean everyone) passing you. Around town here I get about 13 - 15 depends how often the right foot drops.... so many mustangs, so little time....
The car is a solid low 11 second car, and now with a fresh tranny it feels like a 10 sec car, but now that I where progressive glasses, wrenching s*cks, especially looking up at something close, so the car is more of a daily driver now, even has the factory 84 wheels on it..

Chuck

I'm envious Chuck, awesome that you are the original owner by the way, my goal is to go as quickly as possible with fuel pump upgrade and injectors, with all else, within reason, remaining stock. I want the boss to be able to drive comfortably not to mention she'd put the stop on any crazy modifications (she has possession of the checkbook). With luck I may have AC this weekend, although a bit chilly here to test. My compressor could be toast but won't know till I try.
Have a great weekend Chuck,
Joel

Been there and done that, WHEN I was married we kept old Betsy inspected and that's it.... As it should be, other things have more priority, like kids and house payments.
Put a k&n filter on, unrestricted the exhaust so she can breath, bump the boost up a wee bit to like 15 lbs, then talk her into a TT chip and you should be good.
Good luck Joel and have a great weekend your self.

Chuck

supposed to take the shrader valves out of the r12 lines when putting the r134 fittings on. the r134 fittings should have the shrader valves in them. then vacuum for 1/2 hour, then fill with r134. everything else you did is correct.

The adapters did not come with cores nor are they threaded for them

I would've expected what you described

Joel

OK, you guys were correct, the AC gauge connectors engage the shraders. I pull a vacuum, I then go to jump the low pressure switch and no AC clutch engage. I have AC on high and tried defrost as well. The AC clutch will not engage. I checked the fuse and it was fine. I'll check for 12 V at the low pressure switch. Can someone tell me which is the power wire to the clutch? There are a couple of connectors and I'm not sure which one to check as I trace the power through. What is the order of events? Fuse, then low pressure, then clutch? I know there is a relay in there somewhere?
Thanks,
Joel