Considering mods ( Heads )

BOP4ever

I have to change the Head Gaskets now so the engine will be out soon.
I was thinking this would be a good time to either home port the heads or buy some already done of just skip to aluminum.... I don't want to blow money just for the sake of blowing money though.... I am leaning toward a simple bowl blend port match of the stock heads with new springs. I did some home porting on my old Pontiac heads and they worked pretty well so it would not be my first foray with a die grinder.... Id like to put the car solid in the basement 11's or high 10s set on kill and mid 11's daily driver power...
Running 93 + alky.... safely ... I was thinking better flowing heads would require less PSI and lower intake temps and reduce the detonation worry.
I am also looking at either a wide band or a scan master for constant monitoring of AF and maybe a Casper Knock alert buzzer to get my attention and prevent another screw up.... I am adding a TE44 and Stretched SLIC at this time as well... My next question is what head gasket... the Felpro I think it was # 9441 or like one of my buick buddys told me RJC ... I figure cometics would be over kill and a bad choice with out decking the heads and block for proper surface etc.... I will also put in a new timing set while it is a part... I was thinking I would keep the stock cam.

Point out my mistakes please....

THanks

Nothing wrong with your approach. I would suggest a roller cam, though. Home porting will get you about 70% of the way. Search my posts for porting tips.

Ok the engine is coming out.
I think I will do some porting on the heads following the post Ive found here and other places. The cam is the next part I was considering.
I have new springs for a flat tappet cam but I won;t let that keep me from doing the right thing.
I want the car to be stock like un manners so keeping the stock cam may be what I need to do but Id rather change cams now while it is on the stand if I can get worth while power gains without messing up the street manners.
So it would be a small cam if I upgraded.

Rest of package would be te44 turbo, 2800 stall converter, Stretched intercooler, TT Chip, and Alcohol... maybe upgrade to a Razor kit even.

Goals basement 11's

What ....

the roller cam will do, is give you more longevity as well as give you more options in cam choice, take some of the stress off of the valve train and you will be prapared for any new oil restrictions the scum epa, may try to use to eliminate these old engines.
If you can afford it, the 6262, along w/60#ers and a cam in the 206 to 212 range would probably make your goals more easily attainable w/less stress on the componants. the key to all of this is tuning of course. That's where the use of the s/m and p/l combined w/Eric or Bob's chips come in.:biggrin:

Id love to here from someone that made the switch to a bigger cam from stock without doing like me and changing everything at once lol...
Thanks
I would like to get there without boosthaving to be over 21 to 23 psi

I have changed more cams than I can even recall over the years. I use to have cam cores (read FLAT) stacked like cord wood in the corner of the shop as a reminder that roller is the ONLY way to go.;) You can run a 208/210 hydraulic roller and it will have EXACTLY the same street manners and make a measurable torque gain. Seriously, I will not build a Buick V6 with a flat tappet cam anymore. $800 goes a LONG way towards labor replacing a flattened cam. DO flat cams still work? yep. Will I use one? NOPE.

Thanks for the input.
I run a Hyd Roller in my Old Trans am and its been good I just never felt it was much better power wise than the flat tappet grinds... maybe 20 hp or so maybe..so I always kinda thought it was too much money for 20 hp....
I am guessing on the power I changed too much to know for sure...