Considering E-85 Conversion, seeking opinions.

TireFryer

The New Kid
I'm seriously considering switching to e85. It's available in my area and I got a new daily to drive so it's not like I'd be driving all the time like I did last year. What would I need to change (Look at signature for car details)? I have a dw300 I can install and I have a new in tank wiring harness and hotwire kit from racetronix. I have 80 pound injectors too. I have a 6.1 chip and a wideband. Alky went from 50$ a 5gallon drum to 120$ a drum. And 93 is 4.80 a gallon right now and e85 is 3.40. How much worse is the fuel mileage? And should I leave the alky kit installed in case I wanted to get crazy in the future? Would I just need fuel lines from cruz? They have a whole kit. Would I need to change anything else major on the car? TIA

Thinking about switching to a SD2 chip and a flex fuel kit too... Then its basically like running a stand alone but not.. right?

I would go SD2/Flex fuel if you can't go something like the ecuGN or Holley. Flex fuel sensor gives you a margin of safety if the e85 content is not what it's supposed to be and the ability to go back to gas without a chip change.

You can probably get away with the stock lines with your combo. Make sure the rubber lines from the tank to the tank to the hard lines have been replaced with ones that are compatible with e85 (2 sets of lines, one that connects to the tank and ones that connect those hard lines to the ones on the chassis. It wouldn't hurt to change the lines out but it's more work and expense.

On the alky; you won't need it on e85. I took mine off as it is one less thing to worry about (still in the process of putting my car back together)

I would go SD2/Flex fuel if you can't go something like the ecuGN or Holley. Flex fuel sensor gives you a margin of safety if the e85 content is not what it's supposed to be and the ability to go back to gas without a chip change.

You can probably get away with the stock lines with your combo. Make sure the rubber lines from the tank to the tank to the hard lines have been replaced with ones that are compatible with e85 (2 sets of lines, one that connects to the tank and ones that connect those hard lines to the ones on the chassis. It wouldn't hurt to change the lines out but it's more work and expense.

On the alky; you won't need it on e85. I took mine off as it is one less thing to worry about (still in the process of putting my car back together)
I can’t afford a Holley or ecu gn at the moment. So sd2/flex would be my rout. Any info on fuel mileage?

80s are pushing it...120s are ideal
dw300 is also pushing it
Dont switch solely on the price of e85 do it for the performance gains, gas mileage is almost cut in half.
You really need bigger leflon lines, the pump you will need will over whelm the stockers.. at least 450lph

Also note Alky doesn't tune well with e85, i turned my knob down to 1 when i switched but i left the system in because i have a flex fuel sensor so i can run 93 when needed.

I'd do it for the performance as well as I'm sick of buying alky and replacing the pump every year. Like I said I don't mine the fuel drop as I don't daily it anymore. I was looking at the cruz performance fuel line kit.

80s are pushing it...120s are ideal
dw300 is also pushing it
Dont switch solely on the price of e85 do it for the performance gains, gas mileage is almost cut in half.
You really need bigger leflon lines, the pump you will need will over whelm the stockers.. at least 450lph
Theoretically I would think the DW300 would be good for about 400hp on e85 with a small bit of head room; The 80s would be good for maybe 500hp at 85% DC. Stock turbo is 38ish lbs/min flow which would be in the 380HP range if everything was perfect.

A bigger return line wouldn't hurt but the stock feed line should be fine. Doing the lines now though is good if there are future plans to go further.

If the OP upgrades his turbo then 100% with you; more pump and more injector will be needed.

Theoretically I would think the DW300 would be good for about 400hp on e85 with a small bit of head room; The 80s would be good for maybe 500hp at 85% DC. Stock turbo is 38ish lbs/min flow which would be in the 380HP range if everything was perfect.

A bigger return line wouldn't hurt but the stock feed line should be fine. Doing the lines now though is good if there are future plans to go further.

If the OP upgrades his turbo then 100% with you; more pump and more injector will be needed.
Have a te-62 (.63 backhousing) and a vig 3200-3400 lu converter. Built trans. Currently running 27 psi on alky/93. Plans are to be a really fast street car. When money provides.

I always like to over build any fuel system but thats just me though because you end up wanting more in the end and then have to do things twice, i dont like running these cars on the edge. Its bit me in the ass a few times

Have a te-62 (.63 backhousing) and a vig 3200-3400 lu converter. Built trans. Currently running 27 psi on alky/93. Plans are to be a really fast street car. When money provides.
Ok, if you have those you will need A LOT of fuel system as V6Sleeper said. Your mods in your signature might be old.

I always like to over build any fuel system but thats just me though because you end up wanting more in the end and then have to do things twice, i dont like running these cars on the edge. Its bit me in the ass a few times
Agree 100% I went way overboard on my setup. A custom Ricks Tank set up with a Camaro fuel module (acts some what like a surge tank) with dual DW300 pumps and corner pickups, -8 feed -6 return, 120# injectors (probably going 160# but bought these before I decided to do other mods) Working on a custom hot-wire kit running dedicated 10ga back for each pump. 2nd pump will be turned on by the Holley.

I am over building it for when I either end up with a TA/Stage 2 or even a LS in the car; a lot will go over as is.

Agree 100% I went way overboard on my setup. A custom Ricks Tank set up with a Camaro fuel module (acts some what like a surge tank) with dual DW300 pumps and corner pickups, -8 feed -6 return, 120# injectors (probably going 160# but bought these before I decided to do other mods) Working on a custom hot-wire kit running dedicated 10ga back for each pump. 2nd pump will be turned on by the Holley.

I am over building it for when I either end up with a TA/Stage 2 or even a LS in the car; a lot will go over as is.
If you sell the 120#’s and the motor eventually let me know lol. Guess I’ll start saving up for a big pump and lines. Might just go ecu gn and be done with it. I love tuning and with the stand-alone I could do whatever I wanted. Plus the added safety’s and all that is awesome.

Just get a new 6.1 wideband chip for E85 . You're familiar with it and they work well on E85 . Message Eric and see if he can do something with your old chip . Keep an eye on duty cycle and fuel pressure , also look into a better fuel filter than stock .

If you go ecuGN (or SD2), I'm not far away and can show you the ropes on tuning.

SD2 is as close to standalone as you can get with the stock ecm, and has a lot of capability, but the ecuGN is another dimension as far as flexibility.

Note. ^^----- biased opinions above.

Bob

You can switch to E85 with your current stuff, just change the chip. With stock heads, the 80's will likely support low 11 second power, which is lots of fun on the street. But you will be right at their max, so keep an eye on things. Just turn the alky off initially, and see how you like the E.

If you plan to shoot for the moon , then you need more of everything....

If you go ecuGN (or SD2), I'm not far away and can show you the ropes on tuning.

SD2 is as close to standalone as you can get with the stock ecm, and has a lot of capability, but the ecuGN is another dimension as far as flexibility.

Note. ^^----- biased opinions above.

Bob
I’m just waiting to start working again so I can afford either of them lol. I was reading on the ecu gn and watching some videos and I’d definitely like one eventually. When I can afford it… I know where to go..
You can switch to E85 with your current stuff, just change the chip. With stock heads, the 80's will likely support low 11 second power, which is lots of fun on the street. But you will be right at their max, so keep an eye on things. Just turn the alky off initially, and see how you like the E.

If you plan to shoot for the moon , then you need more of everything....
If I switch I’ll get new lines and filter at least. Again. Just waiting to start working. Maybe I’ll just wait till I get the new motor done. Then just do “more of everything” all at once…

Appreciate the comments Bob:giggle:

I'm seriously considering switching to e85. It's available in my area and I got a new daily to drive so it's not like I'd be driving all the time like I did last year. What would I need to change (Look at signature for car details)? I have a dw300 I can install and I have a new in tank wiring harness and hotwire kit from racetronix. I have 80 pound injectors too. I have a 6.1 chip and a wideband. Alky went from 50$ a 5gallon drum to 120$ a drum. And 93 is 4.80 a gallon right now and e85 is 3.40. How much worse is the fuel mileage? And should I leave the alky kit installed in case I wanted to get crazy in the future? Would I just need fuel lines from cruz? They have a whole kit. Would I need to change anything else major on the car? TIA
Cheapest now way is to Leave the 80s and spray the meth on top for the additional fuel only in the 25psi + range.
That will last a little bit
The right way to do it is new lines.
You can make your own for alot cheaper
And a killer pump like a brushless spur aeromotive.
With an upgraded injector.
The stock ecm is more than enough.