Connecticut title question


Active Member
I’m looking to buy a car from a guy in Connecticut and I am from NY. He says the Connecticut doesn’t issue titles for cars over 20 years old. The car I’m looking at is 1970 duster. Does Connecticut have transferable registrations? He says all he has is a Q1 form. The car is not in his name as he purchased it in a package deal with another car and parts from the previous owner. He already sold the other car. So what do I need to register this car in NY. I know in NY you would only get a transferable registration on a 1970 vehicle. Just want to be safe on this purchase.


Daily Driver
Connecticut Titled
If vehicle was purchased in CT and it is newer than 20 years old, you will need a title. Vehicles with a model year over 20 years prior to the current year are non-titled and not required. For registration of a non-titled vehicle, the registration from the last owner and a Supplemental Assignment of Ownership (form Q-1) and/or Bill of Sale (form H-31) is needed. See more information when a title is not needed.

If he doesn't have an old registration form from the car in any state he would need to contact the last place it was registered to get one in order to register it here.

It might be the same in NY, so you may need additional paperwork from the state it was last registered as well as the Q1 or Bill of Sale.


Active Member
That’s what I’m wondering. I know NY you need the registration cause it’s transferable. Wonder if CT is the same. Does any of you guys have transferable registration in CT for your Buick’s?


Daily Driver
Here is the back of my current registration, nothing on the front except VIN, Plate info., name and addy. etc.

Doesn't seem to be transferable.


Active Member
That’s a registration for a vehicle over 20 years old? If so I guess I only need the Q1 form and a bill of sale from state in order for me to register it in NY. Thanks


Daily Driver
The registration in CT is the same for all cars.

Over 20 years old you don't need a title to register a car.

You need a bill of sale or Q1 form and a previous registration from out of state or in state to register it, plus emissions test if applicable (20-25) year old cars.

You should only be worrying about what NY needs to register the car that is the paperwork you will need to produce to register it.

Great game last night at the Stadium. :D


Daily Driver
Model year 1972 or older
The acceptable proof of ownership is either
  • a NY State Transferable Registration – must be the original or a certified copy, not a photocopy
  • acceptable proof from another state 4
To transfer ownership
  • the owner can use the transferable registration and a bill of sale
  • make sure the registration document is marked "transferable" on the front
  • the seller whose name appears on the transferable registration must sign the back
The front of my Registration does not say transferable nor have a place to transfer ownership on it.

Basically it's for tax purposes and insurance since those must be valid and cleared and only the MVD and police have the current up to date info. in their computers for the compliance records and issues.

If the guy never registered the car in CT and doesn't have a transferable registration from another state it doesn't look good to be able to register it in NY state....

I'd give them a call assuming they answer their phones they don't here in my towns MVD office or go to a branch and ask specifically what you would need to do.

Most likely some sort of title search would be needed perhaps by the current owner in CT?