Complete Suspension Upgrade Project

How's this going, looks great!!

Curious if you got any weights from the Moser rear etc.

Didn't look like you notched it but any 60ft times etc?

Thanks...The complete rearend weighed in at around 165 lbs. I decided not to notch the frame rails, for now anyway. I wanted to fit a 325/50/15 inside the wheelwell, but I couldn't get the section width inside the wheelwell lip and lower the car. I haven't had the car out yet, I ran into a problem the Powermaster brake system when we started bleeding the brakes. I'm converting over to a Wilwood Manual Master Cylinder, I just got the Firewall Adapter yesterday to start putting everything back together. I'll post some progress pics in the the next few days...John

Back Together...Road Test...

We got the brakes buttoned up...The Manual Brakes feel really nice. They take a little pressure with the pedal but stop the car good. The firewall adapter worked out really nice and the brakes bleed out pretty easy. The Line-Loc was a nice addition to the car also...

06-12-08009.jpg

06-12-08010.jpg

06-12-08007.jpg

06-12-08008.jpg

I took the car for a road test to seat the brake pads and try out the suspension. The car ride's stiffer than before, but it's a firm ride and I don't think it will be to bad. I did a few short burnouts and launches, It feels really nice. You can tell the difference between the 3.42 gears and the new 4.10's, it seems to have alot more low end torque. The ride height is currently 24.5" in the front and 26" at the rear. I'll be taking the car to the shop to realign the frontend, I also have to rework the stainless exhaust over the 9" rearend to allow some additional clearance.

06-12-08001.jpg

06-12-08002.jpg

06-12-08005.jpg

06-12-08003.jpg

06-12-08004.jpg

That is one sweet set-up. Have you had time to drive it hard yet to evaluate the parts? Does it handle like a M3?
Mike
86 GN

That drain plug on your trans pan is going to be a low point. Watch the speed bumps.

Excellent buildup.

That is one sweet set-up. Have you had time to drive it hard yet to evaluate the parts? Does it handle like a M3?
Mike
86 GN

Thanks Mike...I've had the car out for a few evenings of good cruisin. The car has a firm feel to it, a little rigid, but drives really nice. I've made a few hard launches, the suspension seems to work nice. The 4.10's seem to work with the turbo nice out of the hole and mid range, but I'm not sure about the big end yet. I won't be hanging with any M3's in the corners, but I think I got something for them on the straight away...John

That drain plug on your trans pan is going to be a low point. Watch the speed bumps.

Excellent buildup.

I hear ya Donnie...The transmission pan and the exhaust flange are the low points, their about 4-1/2" off the ground. It's a trade off for getting a low stance, I guess. I'll have to keep an eye open for speed bumps and huge potholes.

Curious, did you need to alter the driveshaft length with the Moser rear end??
I think the 3.5" I just got was 50 3/4" or 51" long and I might go to the Moser next year.

I think the 3.5" I just got was 50 3/4" or 51" long and I might go to the Moser next year.

I'll have to check the build sheet, but I think the driveshaft length was around 3/8" longer than stock with the 9" rearend. I think I could have got by using the stock driveshaft by changing the U-Joints to fit the 9" yoke. I'll check the measurement and post...John

Now thats the way to do it. No more monster truck look. I too am going a bit lower, but more to the tune of pro-touring. Looks good!

Driveshaft Length

New aluminum driveshaft is 51 1/2" with the 9" rearend...

You owe me a keyboard....its ruined w/ drool. AWESOME build, and you nailed the stance.

Thanks for the compliment Greg, It's been a fun build so far. Looking forward to the next project with the car. The GN has been a hit at alot of the cruise-in's...John

Suspension Revisions...

With the rear coil spring pigtails cut off to lower the car, I had a few problems to correct. The first problem to address was the limit of shock travel. I fabricated some new brackets that fit inside the stock mounts, these will lower the lower shock mounting location to increase shock travel.

Shock mounted in stock location...

01-08-09007.jpg

Shock travel was about 1" in stock location...

01-08-09008.jpg

Fabricated Brackets...

12-28-08005.jpg

Powdercoated Brackets...

01-08-09005.jpg

Bracket installed, Shock mounted in new location...

01-08-09009.jpg

Travel was increased to about 3" with new brackets...

01-08-09010.jpg

Second problem was to keep coil springs centered and from falling out when jacking the car up and rear end sags. I fabricated 5" round aluminum tubes that are about 4" tall. The tops of tubes were cut out and mounted where the pigtails were located...

01-08-09011.jpg

That's an awesome upgrade !! Nice stance. When you went to the manual brakes, did you leave the prop. valve and just plumb in the new MC ?

That's an awesome upgrade !! Nice stance. When you went to the manual brakes, did you leave the prop. valve and just plumb in the new MC ?

Thanks, I appreciate it...I just switched the MC's, stock proportioning valve remains untouched. I haven't had any issuses with the brakes so far.

Thanks, I just installed mine and didn't get a chance to drive it yet. I just plumbed the new MC in also.