Complete Suspension Upgrade Project

jevans

I'm starting the suspension upgrade on my '87 GN. The car currently has a ATR Suspension Kit, boxed lowers and adjustable uppers. The wheels are stock with MT Drag Radials 235/60's on rear and 215/65's on the front. The ride height started with 26-1/2" front and 26-7/8" rear. The plan is to upgrade suspension,brakes, lower the car and add aftermarket wheels and tires.

The list of upgrades...

Moser M9 Bolt-In Housing w/ Back Brace
35 Spline Axles w/ 5/8" Studs
Strange Aluminum 3rd Member
Detroit Locker Posi w/ 4.10 Gears
Aluminum Driveshaft w/ 1350 U-Joints
UMI Adjustable Uppers and Lowers
BMR Xtreme Anti-Roll Bar
Wolfe Racecraft Billet Upper Sperical Bearings
Moog #5413 and #5658 Springs
Belltech 2" Drop Spindles
Wilwood Dynalite Pro Series 4 Wheel Disc Brakes
American Racing TrakStar's
Rear 15x8 w/ 4" bs BFG Drag Radials 275/60's
Front 15x4 w/ 1.75" bs MT Sportsman 26x7.5's

Moser M9 Bolt-In Housing

04-05-08001.jpg

35 Spline Axles w/ 5/8" Studs

03-29-08005.jpg

Wolfe Racecraft Bearings Installed

04-05-08003.jpg

UMI Control Arms / BMR Anti- Roll Bar

04-05-08004.jpg

TrakStars w/ BFG Drag Radials

03-29-08001.jpg

03-29-08007.jpg

I'm still waiting on a few parts, I'll post some more pics once I get parts and get going with upgrades...John

suspension

i'm drooling right now buddy please post some photos when it's all done. What's your goal with the set up drag/street or road race/street or both? what's the total ball park cost with this upgrade?

i'm drooling right now buddy please post some photos when it's all done. What's your goal with the set up drag/street or road race/street or both? what's the total ball park cost with this upgrade?

This will be a Street/Strip set-up. I'm planning for future engine upgrades with the suspension parts being used, I'm thinking I'll also notch the frame rails while I'm working on rear suspension. I'll be fabricating brackets and adding them to the rearend in case I decide on Coilovers in the future.

ATR Coil Springs (right) / Moog #5413 (left)

03-01-08004-1.jpg

Car with ATR Suspension...

01-07-08007.jpg

Car with Moog #5413 Coil Springs (pigtail removed)

03-02-08002.jpg

TrakStar's w/ Moog Springs...

03-29-08012.jpg

03-29-08010.jpg

Just a couple of thoughts on this. First of all, looks like you have some very nice parts! The rear end looks awesome! Why did you remove the pigtail on the 5413's? How much did you cut? Another thing is you are going to be very very low in the front with those springs and the BellTech spindles. As long as you are running skinnies, you should be fine but you are going to have a hard time with anything wider becasue of rubbing issues. I had problems running 215/65's with stock springs and BellTechs on an older car I had! Once I changed the spring I was ok. The 5658's, once settled are going to drop the car 1.25" so your looking at a total of 3.25" of drop in the front! It's going to look killer! Just dont run a deep tranny pan!

Just a couple of thoughts on this. First of all, looks like you have some very nice parts! The rear end looks awesome! Why did you remove the pigtail on the 5413's? How much did you cut? Another thing is you are going to be very very low in the front with those springs and the BellTech spindles. As long as you are running skinnies, you should be fine but you are going to have a hard time with anything wider becasue of rubbing issues. I had problems running 215/65's with stock springs and BellTechs on an older car I had! Once I changed the spring I was ok. The 5658's, once settled are going to drop the car 1.25" so your looking at a total of 3.25" of drop in the front! It's going to look killer! Just dont run a deep tranny pan!

Thanks Jeremy...I cut the pigtail plus an additional 1/4 coil off the #5413's to get the car down to it's current height. I installed the 5413's right out of the box and the car actually sit higher than it did with the springs I had on the car from ATR. I'm fabricating a insert to keep the coil springs centered at the top where pigtail was removed. I purchased the 5658's to lower the front, but I'm thinking they won't give me the ride height I'm looking for, I'll install the drop spindles and I have three different springs to choose from to get the correct ride height. I am running skinnies, I'm waiting on the TrakStar's I ordered for the front. The front tires will be MT Sportsman's 26x7.5x15's. I'm hoping I'll be able to run a deep aluminum pan, I plan to install one once I tear into everything...John

Set up looks awesome and car looks great. What is that in the background I see on engine stand looking wonderful as well? Great Job!

Set up looks awesome and car looks great. What is that in the background I see on engine stand looking wonderful as well? Great Job!

Thanks I appreciate the compliments...The engine on the stand is out of my Mustang, It's a 400 C.I SBF with a Geardriven F-2 Blower. I've removed all the drivetrain while the car is at paint, hopefully I'll have it back together soon.

Jeez! I guess I'm out of the loop, I've never seen a gear driven blower that looked like a centrifugal before...looks like a beast!!

Jeez! I guess I'm out of the loop, I've never seen a gear driven blower that looked like a centrifugal before...looks like a beast!!

It's become pretty popular lately, their made by The Supercharger Store. Their starting to become common in alot of the head-up classes, where their allowing forward facing blowers. Here's a look at the set-up on the Small Block Ford...

03-12-08007.jpg

03-14-06035.jpg

Thanks Jeremy...I cut the pigtail plus an additional 1/4 coil off the #5413's to get the car down to it's current height. I installed the 5413's right out of the box and the car actually sit higher than it did with the springs I had on the car from ATR. I'm fabricating a insert to keep the coil springs centered at the top where pigtail was removed. I purchased the 5658's to lower the front, but I'm thinking they won't give me the ride height I'm looking for, I'll install the drop spindles and I have three different springs to choose from to get the correct ride height. I am running skinnies, I'm waiting on the TrakStar's I ordered for the front. The front tires will be MT Sportsman's 26x7.5x15's. I'm hoping I'll be able to run a deep aluminum pan, I plan to install one once I tear into everything...John

John, I think you will be just fine with the skinnies on there and at that height but i cant be sure. I hate to tell ya but I'm pulling of my deep trans pan and going to have to sell it for just a stock drainable one. It's WAAAYYYYYYYY too low. I wouldnt feel comfortable driving it anywhere to be honest. Do you know if anyone makes a pan that is just for a couple quarts extra? I know my buddy RapidoV6 just runs an extra court of tranny fluid in his.

Impressive parts list. Christmas came early for someone.

Jason at our track runs a crank driven supercharger on his Fox body Mustang. When you're turning the big boys, a belt just doesn't get it done. His machines performance is very impressive. He had some problems early on with it though. Make sure you run the best drive setup they have for your setup. Jason found out that there was a better drive option after shearing the first drive he was supplied with.

Impressive parts list. Christmas came early for someone.

Jason at our track runs a crank driven supercharger on his Fox body Mustang. When you're turning the big boys, a belt just doesn't get it done. His machines performance is very impressive. He had some problems early on with it though. Make sure you run the best drive setup they have for your setup. Jason found out that there was a better drive option after shearing the first drive he was supplied with.

Thanks Donnie...I recently got rid of my Outlaw 10.5 car and have been selling some of the drivetrain off. I'm trying to spend the money before I use it on something practical.

On the Geardrivedrive Set-Up, We're using a double keyway on the crankshaft to prevent possible pin shear. I really haven't heard of any other problems from this set-up. You would'nt by chance be talking about Jason Lee's Drag Radial Car, would you ?

I'm not sure on the last name. It's dark green colored and I believe it is a drag radial car. Not the cleanest setup, but it does scoot.

A Few Pics of Parts...

Front Wheels and Tires...

04-23-08003.jpg

Wilwood Rear Disc Brakes...

04-23-08002.jpg

QA1 Shocks...Front "R" Series Single Adjustable...Rear Double Adjustable...

04-23-08001.jpg

What did your rear brake kit cost ya? Parking brake? Nice parts man!!!!!!:biggrin:

Thanks guys...Parts still coming in, I've started some of the mock-up on upgrades. The rear brakes were around 540.00, I purchased them without the parking brake. Wilwood has a parking brake option which is about 90.00 more.

I've got the same Wilwood rear brake setup. It improved my braking a bunch. Before, I would most often have to run past the turn out at the end of the track. Now I can easily get stopped 50 feet before the turn out. It makes for more fun at the track when you're comfortable in knowing the car has plenty of stopping power.