Comp Cams 212/212

rodman99999

Has anyone out there had any experience(good or bad) with the Comp Cams 260-H grind(69-248-4), and a similar set-up to mine? I'm in the process of a rebuild, my cam has a wiped lobe after 153K miles, and I'm shopping. Thanx for any input- Al

Hey Frank- What lifters, valve springs, retainers, and locks did you use with it? Thanx for the input! ;)

I used the lifters and springs that came with it in a kit. It will have the recommended spring # on the cam card. Stock retainers. Frank

I asked about the lifters 'cause of all the warning about aftermarket ones being undersized. I'm assuming you experienced no problems with Comp's?

rodman99999 said:
Has anyone out there had any experience(good or bad) with the Comp Cams 260-H grind(69-248-4), and a similar set-up to mine? I'm in the process of a rebuild, my cam has a wiped lobe after 153K miles, and I'm shopping. Thanx for any input- Al

I have the flat tappet 212/212 and I couldn't be happier with it..

The 212/212 roller is what I have decided to go with. I have read some negative things about the comp lifters. I think Crane lifters are an option.

Does anyone see a problem with running Crane lifters with the Comp ductile roller?

Sorry to highjack rodman99999 but this may help you as well.

I'm lookin' for all the info I can get! ;) Mainy about the flat tappet 212/212, and what the best lifter is though.

The 212 cam is a great unit, great on the street and on the strip.
I used the comp lifters with it and had no noise.
Ran it into the 10's many times.
hth

Hum

If its a flat tappet you want just go ahead with the 218/218 comp this is what I went with on the current build an its a sweet cam. This is also the same cam Jason Cramer runs an you see what he does!!! On the street this cam just wants to go like mad of course a lot of that has to do with rest of my build up but this cam just tops it off!!

RUQWKNF27 said:
If its a flat tappet you want just go ahead with the 218/218 comp this is what I went with on the current build an its a sweet cam. This is also the same cam Jason Cramer runs an you see what he does!!! On the street this cam just wants to go like mad of course a lot of that has to do with rest of my build up but this cam just tops it off!!
I'll never need to go lower than 11's(for the same reason I quit carrying a gun), don't want to do anything with my valves or heads, and probably will stay under 5500RPM most of the time. I just think a 218/218 would be overkill for my desires/build(and I'd lose some low end torque/fuel economy at the same time). Wish I had the bucks and self-control to drive a 10sec car on the street, but that just isn't the case! That's a really good looking car by the way! ;)

Thanks

Well just thought I would run that by ya!!! Yes the cam is big an sounds great with the 4" exhaust. Thanks for the comment on the car its truly a 10 sec 10 outta 10 score TR. If the gas keeps going mad might have to part with it. :D NOT :D

I had the 212/212 and liked it. Made great power and spooled well with good low end. It was a little noisy but not as bad as others. I went faster with this cam than any others, from stock to 224/224.

If this will be your combo a 206/206 would be a great cam and probably a better choice. Which ever one you decide on make sure it's on a 110 to 114 intake centerline and can go in straight up. The 218/218 I just put in RUQWKNF27's was on a 106 and had to be degreed.

Comp lifters are O.K. for the flat tappet, they are all made by the same company anyway. I always soak them in paint thinner overnight. Blow them out through the oil feed holes the next day with the air compressor and then soak them overnight again in motor oil. Sometimes I am suprised at what comes out of those things.

By the way- Anyone that's used the complete Comp Cams kit on this cam: Did you have to shorten the stock guides any? Thanx again!

Really, the 200, 206, 212, and even the 218 are pretty tiny in the grand scheme of things. You have a ~ 3000+ converter, which will likely make any slight amount of low end power loss not even noticeable. Otoh it should strengthen the torque peak area near that stall speed neighborhood anyway (peaking above it would be nice). Personally I'd go with the 218 as the minimum upgrade. Seems people like Ryan Guy, Jason Cramer, etc have had great success with it.

TurboTR

212/212 comp cam kit

I used the 212/212 cam w/112 lobe seperation,along with the comp cam lifters and springs(#980),very quiet,very impressive,love it---just my 2 cents----Jack