Comm open failed

watz

Hello,

I have XFI 2.0 I bought new. I have installed and running, I found and old driver NOT prolific usb/serial driver.

I had to reload my laptop and lost the driver, now I can't find it. I called fast but they say I must buy their $50 cable to work with windows 10. I know this isn't the case, I had it working before I reloaded the laptop but for the life of me, I can't find that driver.

The error I get is "comm open failed", I have reloaded the prolific chipset driver. that didn't work, I know it's 3.0. something from a generic manufacture but I can't find it.

Anyone on here know what I am looking for? I swear it was off the yellowbullet forum, someone mentioned a generic usb/serial converter... But I can't find it again.

Any helpers out there?

Last edited:
cheaper fix is just go on ebay and buy a manhattan 205146 usb -9 serial cable is under 20 bucks and is same one you'll get from fast and then the prolific driver will work .

the prolific driver is in the software bundle from fast on the flash drive that comes with it when new or download the XFI2.0 bundle from their site at fuelairspark.com , or search the internet for it.

once the driver is installed and the laptop can recognize the cable you need to find out where windows assigned it in "settings>connected devices> device manager " then find the prolific device and note what com port # it was assigned ..it needs to be on com3 , if its not open it and then in advanced setting change the com port to com 3 , then open ccomXFI WP 2.05 and click "communication >setup.. > COM port " make sure that its set to com 3 (default is com3 but someone may have changed it) ,
to connect to the XFI press F2 key or click communication>connect

Last edited:
Thanks for your responses gents.
So , the other day my buddy came over to my shop with his two lap tops . Tom has two Buicks running XFI.
I have three laptops . One is running Windows 7 the other two windows 10.
None of my three will connect.
Now we take Tom's windows 10 using (my cable) and it connects immediately. ??
Spent over a hour on the phone with XFI rep. Still no luck with my laptops. This has been going on for last year.
I noticed this thread after a quick search and thought I would reach out for some help here.
Any other ideas as to what could be causing this issue for me.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I hear you. We did , after checking in device manager settings.

Thanks for your responses gents.
So , the other day my buddy came over to my shop with his two lap tops . Tom has two Buicks running XFI.
I have three laptops . One is running Windows 7 the other two windows 10.
None of my three will connect.
Now we take Tom's windows 10 using (my cable) and it connects immediately. ??
Spent over a hour on the phone with XFI rep. Still no luck with my laptops. This has been going on for last year.
I noticed this thread after a quick search and thought I would reach out for some help here.
Any other ideas as to what could be causing this issue for me.

If you are on the correct port and still can't connect it's a driver problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Brian ,
Its Gus from Michigan.
Yes, you are correct its giving me a driver error ( code 10)

These problems can get complicated with the Prolific adapters and now newer operating systems like Windows 8 and 10. With the older Prolific adapters I found that the newest driver version won't work with the cables chip set. For mine as an example is only supported on Windows 7 and with driver version no newer than 1.11.0. Prolific has a chip check tool that can run in Windows 7 and let you know what chipset is in the cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm having the same problem. Fast 2.0 tried all comm's made sure the proper comm was selected, latest driver update on the cable. Comm open failed on every one. I'm running windows 10

I'm having the same problem. Fast 2.0 tried all comm's made sure the proper comm was selected, latest driver update on the cable. Comm open failed on every one. I'm running windows 10

The cable you are running may not be compatible with Windows 10. My original cable was not and can be verified if you have a Windows 7 machine to test it on. If not you can just buy a new cable in the link I have below.

The below is an example of the Chip Check tool for my Prolific adapter cable. Yout can see that its an HXA/XA chip. This was run in Windows 7 and connects OK.

checkchipscreenshot-jpg.9054

Then in the Readme file from the latest driver you can see that this is not supported in Windows 8 or 10. Looking back at some older drivers it may be possible to get the older driver to work in Windows 10 but don't know for sure.

prolific_readme-jpg.9055

I bought a new cable from here
http://www.cablestogo.com/product/26886/1.5ft-usb-to-db9-serial-rs232-adapter-cable

I got it in tonight and confirmed that it has the newer chipset and works on my Windows 10 machine.
AG

Bumping this thread up. I could use some clarity here.

I have the port situation under control and know how to match the comm port from the laptop to the XFI. I had the XFI connected and running. That night, I brought the laptop in and downloaded the XFI Dash/Datalogging software from the Fast site. When it did that, I believe it installed new drivers ( something popped up that basically said that's what it was doing). Ever since I can't connect. Could this be a simple cable change? I just went on to FAST site and downloaded their current drivers into the laptop but that may have been the same ones the Dash Software put in. It's pouring here so I can't go confirm right now if it's working or not.

try rolling back the drivers if that doesnt work you may need a new cable ..prolific recently made a change to their drivers to combat bootlegging which made older cables inoperative

Is there any way to know what drivers I had in there and replaced? Those were working and when I replaced them they aren't. I tried uninstalling what I just put in put it doesn't seem to be working. I can go into the device and go straight to the USB Port and open a list of drivers for that USB port while it's plugged in. However, when I try to change to a different one it doesn't seem to take action or do anything.

have to uninstall current driver , then plug cable in and when it prompts to install click it and then choose to load driver from the old ccom driver folder