Coming together

scpls19398

Hot Air Fan
ok fella's, I about have the motor and trans ready to install. Can the engine and trans be installed togeter with the turbo attached?

Good deal, great to hear!!!

We have done the motor and trans, so I don't see why the turbo wouldn't go with it...

Yes, be on the road shortly.

Will have to wait till next spring for the suspension upgrades that will be needed for what's about to go between the fenders:biggrin:may be flat out scary to drive.

It has been interesting putting it back together. thank god I have a factory service manual.:eek:

Hi George, I had the engine and transmission together with my install, plus the headers were on as well. I don't see why you couldn't do it with the turbo on, but I didn't.

Good to see it's coming together!

I thought about swapping engine & trans together, but decided I'm too lazy to drain the trans, LOL! :tongue:

Seriously though, do you guys find it's simpler/easier/quicker to swap the engine with trans attached? Anything to reduce the time spent under the car is worth it in my book.

I think it also depends on how many people are helping pull or put them in. One under the car, one around the engine bay and one that's raising and lowering. Two could probably do it, but 3 or more seems the best.

I thought about swapping engine & trans together, but decided I'm too lazy to drain the trans, LOL! :tongue:

Seriously though, do you guys find it's simpler/easier/quicker to swap the engine with trans attached? Anything to reduce the time spent under the car is worth it in my book.

I am not proud to say it but have done the motor thing a few times. :eek:
I like “Motor and trans”. To me, it is easier in the long run if you work on your back, BUT, trans oil leaks SUCK! :mad:
Driveshaft plug and some plastic bags over the plug seem to work well. (You still need to have the transmission drained.)

If doing motor and trans separate, it is a one person job. Can be done without removing the hood.
Install headers, turbo, fuel lines, etc., except DP. It will go. (Not sure how it will with a 76 series turbo though :biggrin: . . . LOL)
Like I said, I am not proud to know about this, but hey . . . . . whatyagonnado? ;)

I am not proud to say it but have done the motor thing a few times. :eek:

If doing motor and trans separate, it is a one person job. Can be done without removing the hood.

Like I said, I am not proud to know about this, but hey . . . . . whatyagonnado? ;)

Don't feel too bad Jerryl, I've pulled mine so many times I can pull it out in about an hour. On the installation I can install it and have everything hooked up and running in 3.5 hours or less. That's with the tranny still sitting in the car.

next question??????????

ok looks like I am going to have to put a wastegate on this thing. What size do I need, and what kind do you fella's recomend? 6262 Billet turbo

Don't feel too bad Jerryl, I've pulled mine so many times I can pull it out in about an hour. On the installation I can install it and have everything hooked up and running in 3.5 hours or less. That's with the tranny still sitting in the car.

Boostmaster, you're hired. :biggrin:

ok looks like I am going to have to put a wastegate on this thing. What size do I need, and what kind do you fella's recomend? 6262 Billet turbo

Precision Turbo's new 38-39mm is all you need. Assuming your going external gate, internal might want to use a heavy duty unit.

I would go up a size. Your car is going to make some SERIOUS H/A power:biggrin:

yep, going external, My schedule is whipping my butt. Everytime I get close to getting this thing rolling, I have to stop take things back apart and more farication, time and money.:eek:

will get some pics soon.

the housing was modified and looks like an adapter was welded on and ground to a gradual opening to the oring. The side of the housing had a fitting for a hose almost perfect for the turbo brace, a drill and tap wasall it reqired to become a bolt to the original brace. If anyone can post some picts for me I will be happy to share with all. As Shane noted above the the headers, up-pipe on this is goind to be impressive.

By the way Shane I thank yo for all your help, don't think you are out or the woods yet. I will be needing some input on running 2 alky pumps with the ISAC