coming soon....

GregInAtl

After having a hankering for a sound quality build in the GN for a few years, I had to succumb to some truths. The economy won't allow me to spend the $ right now, and I dont have the time to build a year long 110% perfect build I want to do. As a single dad, it's just not an option......
SO.....
After years of sponsorship from Polk Audio, I made a call and called in a favor; and then yesterday it started coming in! I am doing a big stereo w/ MM series speakers and amp, and will be pimpin Polk at some shows this coming year!
her's the list of supplied products;

front dash - db 3.5" coax
kicks I am building- 5" coax MM in each side
Door pods- each door two 5" MM coax
no rear fill
2 12" MM DVCs
and a BIG... PA1100.5 5 channel amp. (1200 watts at 1 ohm on the subs, and 200x4 at 2 ohms...all of which it will be runnin)

that is a lot of sound, and will likely not run all 8 tweeters, for obv reasons! Anyway, I am psyched and thankful for Polk letting build a 4th car w/ their products! Install starts in a week after hours once the plexi arives and I cut all my 5" rings for fiberglassin stuff.

heres the subs, amp and 3.5"s the 5.25" are still on the way.

Attachments

• Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 251
do you have to go to car shows and stuff or what? advertise polk wherever you go? How does it work, im hoping to get a sponsor once i finish. I will be taking it to shows.

do you have to go to car shows and stuff or what? advertise polk wherever you go? How does it work, im hoping to get a sponsor once i finish. I will be taking it to shows.

Sponsorship is a great deal, if you are used to the pace they want you to run at. After 20 years and showing in hundreds of shows I have been able to have a bunch of sponsorship help. The hardest thing is everyone wants to be the last sponsor on a completed car. I would too, a car 99.9% completed and my little bit as a manufacturer goes on and gets exposure w/o a wait of a long build. That's what they all really want. The juggle is letting the big sponsors get that for a while and proving you will come thru w/ a great build, and slowly working them up in the build and allowing other big sponsor needs to come later.
Sponsorship is a blessing but there have been days I'd rather slept in vs travel to a ricer show and blast a stereo all day. The cool thing w/ Polk is after so long, they know what to expect from me, and know they will get exposure. A few decals at shows, a system worth being in a magazine and doing a few shows I likely wouldn't attend otherwise is well worth a few grand in gear....you just have to convince them THEY are getting the better deal. I have sold a TON of Polk Audio by WOWing people at shows....they witnessed this in action, this equipment is payoff for that work!
BTW, this is a VERY hard time to get help, when the economy was good, it was MUCH easier. Most companies (including Polk) have canceled the sponsorship program for at least another year, I got gear thanks to past working relationships and years of over delivering on my promises.

nice nice. Well the car won't be done anytime soon, so hopefully the economy picks itself up and I can get a sponsor :) Did you have to illustrate the plans to them, and have an audio shop sign saying that they will professionally install it, or can you do it yourself? Why not 5.25'' components and ditch the dash speakers?

I have a theory that has worked w/ the audio choice, build a system that sounds amazing and do it w/o the premium line of products. Most people apply and ask for the best of everything. The issue is that is not what people buy. They wanna showcase what is affordable to Joe Avg, that is the MM line, and coaxials sell 10x more than component. I chose stock locations + others to make it be very loud at a jog.....nothing working hard, so less chance of damaged gear at a show, and keep the drivers in the efficency range.
Dont get me wrong, I'd loved to have gotten 2 of these amps a and bridged them each to 3 channels and had a high powered 6 speaker system highlighting the SR series, but that is far less likely to get approval on. I went with what I thought would benefit them most, and I knew I could make sound awesome even to people who know audio.
BTW, I build and install everything....it is always done in my garage, and that's kinda the charm in it. Affordable gear done in a garage like most guys want to do. I can tell anyone "Yes you can...I did!"

interesting, i like that idea. Cuz every show I go to, people show off some outrageous stereo. Would they want to see a stereo installed/ and pics from car shows you've attended first before you apply for sponsorships?

interesting, i like that idea. Cuz every show I go to, people show off some outrageous stereo. Would they want to see a stereo installed/ and pics from car shows you've attended first before you apply for sponsorships?

yeah, prior builds, shows attended, awards won, print and tv coverage, future itinerary, etc etc. In the end it is all about exposure. get their name in front of ppl. I have gotten spo's over better cars because I have more history and speak like I have sense. As a sponsored team member you are that company, you gotta act the way they want you to act and respect their ideals....so all those gangstas w/ deep pockets never have a chance.

Good to hear Greg. Look forward to seeing pics and maybe getting to hear it sometime.

Not to hi-jack:tongue: , but I'm getting ready ready to start a new install in my truck in two weeks.:biggrin: A friend of mine owns a couple of old school audio companies and is getting ready to get them back up and running full steam. No sponsorship, but good prices to help get the word out. Surprized a few folks at the Scrapin' the Coast show back in June with another truck.

My truck will has all his amps (which it already does:tongue: ) and speakers. We're doing a new design soft dome neo tweet in the pillars, a 5 1/4" midrange in the kicks, a 6 1/2" or 8" mid-bass in the front doors. The sub stage will be in a custom console, but what it will be is unknown at this point. Gotta figure out how much room and how custom I want it to be. I will run rear fill, but we'll have to play with what and where it will be.
John

John, this is an old school company making a come back?! I still wanna hear your GN, I have heard from several it's unreal. I will have a system more loud and clear, emphasis on loud.....the show car vs SQ car difference. Yours will be perfect at 105db, mine will make your hair move and understand every lyric at 140+. Yours takes science, mine takes cone area and power. Both cool, but I am hoping to find a way to make something different w/ the install.....some new details maybe.....

Greg, wrong car.:eek: The GN you are referring to belongs to another John, but his screen name is grocerygetter. I guess what makes it confusing is that he has a 6APPEAL tag on the front of his car. I've ragged John/grocerygetter about that, but it's all in good fun. Kind of a running joke between us.:tongue: I heard his GN at Scraping the Coast in 08. His car is what really turned me on to Hybrid Audio, which is what's going in my GN.:tongue: Doing an L8, L4, L1Pro combo for the front end in my GN.
John

THATS RIGHT!!! I know Scott the founder of Hybrid pretty well, we live close to one another. I am gonna hit him up someday later when I have the time to build a SQ car that can sit in the lanes and chase SQ titles.
For me, Polk is about as good of a consumer line that can be purchased and installed by common people and get great sound, and usually less expensive that other reputable names. I love Polk Audio.

scotts good people, he was always a standup guy havnt seen him in ages since he moved from fla

polk and that blue leprecon car

1st i want to say that blue is killer, rims add a nice touch but the paint says it all just wanted to say NICE. polk is as good as it gets in my opinion, guess opinions vary as some may like diamond. when you said you were going with MM series i thought it was M&M the god father speakers which were real big back in the late 80's here in tx. guess i've been out of the loop too long on the latest car audio. i'm still itching to yank my stocker out of the dash and start up. already have the precision power matching amps. thinking of going with 1 15" sub in a downward firing box. think it would sound good but not overwhelm the rest of it. as someone who also has some limited means for now due to the economy i'm going with sony 6X9's in the deck and haven't figured out what in the doors. but i have a set of pioneer 5.25's ready to install. yea i know not the best but for what i want it'll do the job for the time being. not trying to inprint the sterring wheel logo into my forehead with some bass but get some good sound out of it.