Coming Soon Replacement Steering Coupler/Rag Joint

Dennis Kirban

One replacement part that has been difficult to find is the steering coupler or rag joint. This is the part that connects your lower steering column shaft to the spline on your gear box. These can develop play in them as years go by and oil from every possible orifice on your engine can leak causing it to develop cracks.

I finally found a company that recently had it made. This version actually fits from like 1977 thru 1987 GM cars.
Problem is GM never listed it by itsel they only show it inthe parts book as being part of the lower steering shaft assembly which is no longer available. Auto Zone and others do not even show a listing probably because it was never a specific part by itself.

Adding to the confusion is what is the technical name for it rag joint or steering coupler or steering gizmo?
Anyrate we have some due in shortly which will be priced under $39.95 each. For now you would have to call Christina to get on the list for one of the first ones.

Its cheap enough where its worth replacing simply because of the material they are made from. It would have been nice had they made that a metal joint such as what Jeep used. I am aware of owners substituting the Jeep one.

Our initial order of them is due in next week (lst week of February).

dennisirban@yahoo.com

kirbanperformance.com

One replacement part that has been difficult to find is the steering coupler or rag joint. This is the part that connects your lower steering column shaft to the spline on your gear box. These can develop play in them as years go by and oil from every possible orifice on your engine can leak causing it to develop cracks.

I finally found a company that recently had it made. This version actually fits from like 1977 thru 1987 GM cars.
Problem is GM never listed it by itsel they only show it inthe parts book as being part of the lower steering shaft assembly which is no longer available. Auto Zone and others do not even show a listing probably because it was never a specific part by itself.

Adding to the confusion is what is the technical name for it rag joint or steering coupler or steering gizmo?
Anyrate we have some due in shortly which will be priced under $39.95 each. For now you would have to call Christina to get on the list for one of the first ones.

Its cheap enough where its worth replacing simply because of the material they are made from. It would have been nice had they made that a metal joint such as what Jeep used. I am aware of owners substituting the Jeep one.

Our initial order of them is due in next week (lst week of February).

dennisirban@yahoo.com

kirbanperformance.com

Dennis: Would you consider stocking the Jeep version also?

I found a couple of possibilities online. A stock Jeep steering column made by Crown for $105 http://www.jeep4x4center.com/steering-column-shaft-with-power-steering-4713943.html and a custom one by Borgeson http://www.summitracing.com/parts/brg-000893/overview/year/1994/make/jeep/model/cherokee for $270. I haven't tried either one yet but am planning on trying the Crown one.

For that price why don't you go with a DSE unit?

http://www.gnsperformance.com/products/suspen_front_steeringshaft.html

I don't know enough about either one to make an informed decision but one negative I've read about the DSE in another forum thread by someone who installed it, is that you have to drill holes to mount the 2 ends on to the splined shaft.

Kirban Update

After much research and dealing with a source that refurbishes them for me we are going with a a shaft that others also have sold that come out of a later GM vehicle. This shaft is a GM part is no longer available from GM and is 8-10 years newer than the ones that come out of the earlier Jeep models.

It also does not have that rubber like bushing in the center area that can retain moisture. The other advantage with this shaft is in the vehicles they come out of the shaft is encased in a rubber boot so the elements don't corrode it. The boot is discarded when I remove the shafts as I have to cut it away. This lower steering shaft looks basically like new before my source even does the modifications.

You do not have to drill any holes in your steering column however, you do have to make a small notch in the base of your main steering column so the clinch bolt can pass cleanly through the joint and thread into the other end. The small notch you make is just at the top of your shaft.

Directions are very clear with photos that come with each shaft.

I will offer these newer shafts refurbished. Again not that issues exist with the Jeep ones only that for our company it makes more sense to carry a newer one, one that is GM originals, and actually easier to remove from vehicles.

Last weekend I made my first attempt to get one of these shafts and lacked one important tool so I went back this weekend armed with the proper tool and was able to get that one and three others.

My threshold for cold weather is about 25 degrees and 2 hours at the most standing on bricks of solid snow.

It is a very nice upgrade plus a side benefit is you shed some weight. The joints at both ends are metal swivel joints and it frees up some room under the hood so when you drop something you can actually see where it goes.

Like many of you I have looked at the various posts and I can see how confusing it can be.

This source that redoes them for us has done several hundred over the years.

I currently have a few on hand and more in the works.

Right now I can still hold the price it $99.95 and $12 UPS ground shipping to any of the basic 48 states by paypal.

Once this winter weather goes away I will be hunting down more of them. Yards that are not You Pull charge me more only advantage is I am a buyer for all of them not just one so it gives them more motivation to get me a better deal.

Again these shafts we are getting are 8 to 10 years newer than the Jeep ones and come in a GM vehicle.

It also pays to replace the bearing at the base of your main steering column at the same time. GM instead of a metal bearing simply used two rubber seals on a plastic adapter. We have them in stock now for $37.95 Part number is #7572 and is on our website. Reason is to replace that you have to remove the lower steering shaft first which you would do to install this upgraded lower shaft anyhow. Both upgrades will give you more precise steering.

We will have these items on display at our Open House.

This upgraded lower steering shaft and bearing is like the fold down stay down license plate bracket. A clever idea that works but was not offered on our cars.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

To answer the above questions:

I already have a brand new Crown shaft to examine the problem is as it is shipped it is not the correct length. It is way to long and the bushing that holds it in place I have not been able to break loose hitting it with a board against the joint and using a super heavy hammer. I was told by my source is it requires a great deal of effort and WD 40 or PB Blaster to make the unit slide. In other words the new shaft from Crown is set at the specific distance for a Jeep Cherokee. We may offer them once I see what my one local friend can do about freeing it up so it slides easily.

Also as I stated the Jeep one has that joint in the middle the ones we are getting from a later model GM vehicle don't have any joint in the middle making it easier to work with.
Yes Borgeson does make various units we looked at them also but they run price wise $200 or better. A slick unit for sure but for now I plan to stick with the ones I am doing with this other source. At $99.95 plus $12 shipping takes the guess work out of the "game" Plus as I stated above its best to upgrade the bearing at the base of your main column as all you got in your G body Regal is 2 rubber seals....

One we market as stated no holes get drilled but you do have to make one small notch so the clinch bolt that secures the upper joint can clear the hole cleanly. You would have to do this with even the Jeep one as well.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

What I got works.....I agree other options are out there...but you are gambling on guess work or spending more money or spending less money and refurbishing it.

Kirban again

I was able to reduce slightly the price on these GM used r furbished lower steering shafts. The new price is $89.95 plus $10 shipping. I found quite a few today and I am sending them to my source to make his modification and refurbish them.

Another point of interest besides the fact this is a real GM part and 8-10 years newer than the comparable Jeep shaft that fits. It is also a collapsible one which can be a critical thing in case of a front end collision. This will collapse or rather slide into the upper part of this shaft by 3 inches or more. I am not sure if any of the aftermarket replacement lower steering shafts have that feature. Again this has the metal joints at both ends and eliminates the flexible rag joint found on your original lower steering shaft. Also you shed some weight with this as well over the original one.

These come with full detailed directions and photos. The only modification you need to do to your upper steering column is a very small notch has to be made so the upper clinch bolt can slide through cleanly and thread into the other part.

I do take paypal

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Again they run $89.95 and $10 shipping to any of the basic 48 states. PA residents add 6% sales tax,

Kirban Update:

At this point we have decided not to offer the new Jeep lower steering shaft. The reason is that shaft is pre-adjusted for the Cherokee and in order to compress the shaft to the length of the turbo regals requires a major amount of effort. This was told to me by the source that fools with the used Jeep shafts and currently is refurbishing the shafts we are offering.

I soaked the new Jeep shaft overnite with PB Blaster which he recommended and even the next day using a 2 by 4 board and a heavy hammer I could not get the shaft to contract. If there was an easier way of doing it I would love to offer a new Jeep shaft to compliment the one we are getting because the one I am getting requires hunting them down at various yards.

So right now I have about 8 getting redone of what I believe and my source that actually refurbishes them agrees with is the better lower shaft. First its from a GM vehicle and the vehicles are 8 to 10 years newer than any of the Jeep ones. In the vehicles it is in the shaft is encased completely in a rubber boot so it has zero corrision issues. Its bear metal that would look for brand new prior to my source modifying it for our application and painting it black.

Trust me I have wasted money on a new Jeep shaft purchased two used Jeep shafts that my source who redoes them said they were junk because of corrision and it would take to much to make them work.

No doubt several options exist other than this one for more money or less money but this is the one we will be offering. Its also highly adviseable to buy the new main steering shaft upgraded lower bearing kit. This is far superior to the GM method of two small rubber seals that GM used at the base of your main shaft. This part is on our website complete with photos so you can see what it is. Part number #7572. That part runs $37.95. It has to be purchased from Kirban performance. The refurbished lower shaft I am selling through my other company and that works by paypal to denniskirban@yahoo.com Obviousily if you call my office to order the #7572 pay just the $37.95 I can ship it with the shaft at no extra charge for shipping. You must email me for the lower shaft denniskirban@yahoo..com to get on the list. I would then contact you when I have the refurbished lower shaft in stock. I expect to get more again this upcoming weekend as temps are due to hit 50 degrees which in our area will feel like summertime.

Adding to the confusion according to my source who is far wiser on these shafts than I am at least 4 versions of the Jeep one exist in between the years that will work.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

If there comes a time we do get enough on hand they would be on our website.

Kirban update:

I currently have 9 of these later GM upgraded lower steering shafts getting modified and refurbished. Two are already sold. If you want one from this next batch its adviseable to email me denniskirban@yahoo.com

This lower steering shaft has all the desireable advantages which we have pointed out in earlier posts. We will have this on display at our April 12th Open House with the new reproduction rag joint and the new reproduction upper steering column bushing as well. We also have a Jeep shaft so you wil be able to see first hand the differences between the Jeep one and this later GM one.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

The weather is supposed to break for this area this weekend as I got more of these shafts to pick up from another yard. This yard does not ship and has no computers everything is by fax. I did inquire they do have running water!

I owe a lot to salvage yards as years ago one owner of a yard where we lived help me get started in the towing business.

Wanted to give an update. Received the part today. Although Dennis says it is refurbished, it looks like new. Don't know if that is paint or powdercoat on there, but it is very nicely finished. Concise instructions with photos included.
Will let you know how the install goes...

Thanks Dennis!

Jay J

Wanted to give an update. Received the part today. Although Dennis says it is refurbished, it looks like new. Don't know if that is paint or powdercoat on there, but it is very nicely finished. Concise instructions with photos included.
Will let you know how the install goes...

Thanks Dennis!

Jay J

The person that does them puts two coats of paint on them day or so apart. What also helps is the fact they have been encased in a protective rubber boot prior to me removing them so the metal looks brand new.

we currently have some in stock for immediate delivery....even the unskilled such as myself can install this part.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Installed mine yesterday and took it out for a test drive. Much more precise feeling in the steering. Installing it had the usual mechanical problems and solutions. Removed the MAF and air filter can so the lower connection to the steering box was fairly easy to reach. Wish I could have removed the Powermaster because that was a pain to work around on the top end. Replaced the upper bearing at the firewall with the Kirban replacement which on my original was just a plastic sleeve. The only other part I'd like to add would be a dirt/dust cover for the exposed bearing on the steering box. I may slit and remove the original plastic sleeve from the old steering shaft that covered the bearing and see if I can fit it to the new install.

I found it easier to work on grinding the upper slot by rotating the steering wheel 180 - 270 degrees ( i did it clockwise ) and locking and unlocking it with the ignition lock. Then remembering to reverse that the same before bolting in the column.
Started the slot with a rat tail file before using a carbide rotary cutter on an air grinder.

Old upper plastic sleeve.

IMAG0245.jpg
IMAG0243.jpg