Column problem?

gsgnnut

Maddening ignition problem. Ideas welcomed. Occasionally when turning the key to start the car it just clicks. Repeat a few times and it starts normal. I was sure it was a tired solenoid so replaced starter. Nope still occasionally clicks. Thought 6 yo battery might be done. New battery fully charged still occasionally clicks. Now I'm sure it's the ignition switch. Change ignition switch. Nope not that either. Then decided it must be the hidden kill switch. Changed that out. Still Occasionally clicks . what the hell am I missing here? Thinking maybe starter kill switch wire splices are 20 yo and might be loose or oxidized so that's next check but after that I'm stumped. I did try lowering the tilt and that might have helped but is there a wire in the tilt column I need to check?(n):arghh: wtf?:banghead::banghead:

Make sure you have good ground then a good power wire sometimes I've seen where the big cables are bad but look like they're in good condition

There is a "no hot start" thread going right now and one person had this advise:

Probably less likely but you might also want to check the ignition switch located I believe at the base of the steering column. Turning the key at the wheel moves a push rod within the column that actuates the switch located at the base of the steering column. This is what sends power to the starter solenoid that is on the starter and heat soaks from the crossover pipe.

It could be part or all of your problem.

Good luck.

The new starter could be bad also. it happen to my sister. Actually we got 2 bad ones then bit the bullet for the 900 dollar Volvo part.

Thanks I'll check it out !
Nope cables are good and clean and tight . Running out of ideas fast.still need to chase the kill. Switch wiring tho.
The new starter could be bad also. it happen to my sister. Actually we got 2 bad ones then bit the bullet for the 900 dollar Volvo part.
Ignition switch new . I had thought about the new starter being bad and I may swap that out next but the old starter was doing the exact same thing.

Nope cables are good and clean and tight . Running out of ideas fast.still need to chase the kill. Switch wiring tho.

Ignition switch new . I had thought about the new starter being bad and I may swap that out next but the old starter was doing the exact same thing.
It should not be the kill system. I don't think it would click at all.
Try and have a helper strike it sharply with a small pipe or hammer. Hold key to crank and if they hit it and it works its a bad starter guaranteed.

It should not be the kill system. I don't think it would click at all.
Try and have a helper strike it sharply with a small pipe or hammer. Hold key to crank and if they hit it and it works its a bad starter guaranteed.
Ill give the starter a whack while someone works the key and see if that can confirm its the gremlin causing the chaos. Every 3rd or fourth key turn to start results in a click so it shouldn't be too hard to do. The kill switch wire is spliced into the purple wile to the starter with 20+ year old crimp connectors and I want to correct that by properly soldering and shrink wrapping them anyway. Butt connectors are notorious for failing over time due to oxidation of the wire.

Ill give the starter a whack while someone works the key and see if that can confirm its the gremlin causing the chaos. Every 3rd or fourth key turn to start results in a click so it shouldn't be too hard to do. The kill switch wire is spliced into the purple wile to the starter with 20+ year old crimp connectors and I want to correct that by properly soldering and shrink wrapping them anyway. Butt connectors are notorious for failing over time due to oxidation of the wire.
think I figured it out. The battery shut off knife switch was oxidized. Cleaned the contact points and problem seems to be gone.(y) thanks to all for the helpful suggestions. They kept me after that friggin gremlin.:troll: