code 44 madness

gsgnnut

Had to walk away from the GN again. 99% of my problem is I don't have a scan master so I'm limited in diagnostic technology . I Have a code reader and am getting an occasional 44 lean code that is driving me nuts. Ive checked everything, TPS values, no vac leaks, new plugs, new wires,new ISC, new egr, new O2 sensor, all checks outs car drives and runs quite well but idles like :poop:. The only thing left I can think of is could this insanity be caused by a crack in the driver side header? I'm ready to give up and send this car down the road or admit failure and let cotton work his magic on it .

IAC adjusted? Try to get it under 15. You could also spray out the throttle body with carb cleaner. Not sure if this will help you with the lean code but should help it idle better.

I had the same problem but found two problems. Fuel pressure would not adjust below 50psi at idle diagnose found clogged line. Replaced that took care of my oxygen sensors code. while I had the tank down I blew out vent line and it was clogged diagnose replaced vent liner between canister and tank. Test ok no 44or45errors

thanks to all. I will follow up on the IAC adjustment. Fuel pressure was normal last time I checked that but I will check that again. keep them ideas coming!

If and when you can verify all the things posted above and you still have the problem you may want to look at the ESC as that POS can trip many different codes.

If you go to gnttype.org they may be able to answer all your questions or at least help point you in the right direction.

That site has lots of useful info and instructions on how to keep your TR running at its best.

Hope this helps you as well as others who may not know about the site or have overlooked it and how useful it is.

BTW Sam you could call me and I could help you out if you want. I know Jack is a nice guy but he doesn't work for free;);).

Well I think I can put away the gas can and lighter for now. I believe I found my problem. It was a vacuum leak in the egr valve. the valve worked fine however vacuum was leaking from the diaphragm side of the egr valve down the actuator pin/shaft. There had been a steady loss of about 2 inches of vacuum at idle under load( in gear/ ac on. Just enough to cause code 44 madness at idle when in gear with the AC running. Fuel pressure seems a little low? . 32 psi at idle with vac to regulator/40 with vac off and blocked. I made a temporary egr block off plate and it no longer is stalling and tripping code 44 or any others for that matter. I am although a bit reluctant of romping on it with the egr blocked but I have heard others have blocked it off .

If your running a regular TT chip he disables the EGR anyway. Block off the hole and eliminate a potential leak.

You can buy me a beer sometime after this fixes it.pull the PCV valve off the upper TB and and block it temporary .many aftermarket units do not meter the correct amount of air and cause a 44 code .just let the crank case vent to atmosphere and let it idle and then drive around the block .after the code goes away change the valve to an AC oem PCV valve.and then go buy me that beer

Thanks . I will definitely give that a try. I did replace the pcv grommet. What a pita that was. I do have a new AC pcv valve but I will double check the number on it to make sure its the proper one.

Well, after some test driving it turns out the leaky EGR wasn't the only problem as the idle is still not very good and code 44 has returned,:rage: although the car doesn't stall anymore. I checked the pvc valve type and function as was suggested as well as cleaning and resetting the IAC. I had to fight the urge to get out the gas can and just light this nightmare up :mad:and instead focused on rechecking all my steps and I found something very interesting. The brackets for the relatively new remanufactured :poop:AC MAF had pulled out of the unit and left behind two 1/8th inch holes in the side of the MAF that clearly are leaking a considerable amount of air that is bypassing the MAF sensor:eek:. One had pulled out the day I installed it last year but I never noticed the hole and the second one pulled out sometime after that:banghead:. Long story short, this "new" MAF leaked from day one. :confused: These holes were on the underside and not at all visible unless the MAF was removed. I can easily fix this with a little epoxy and I'm hoping this is the end of the cars crummy idle. If not its time to go see Mr. Cotton. I think a scan tool and new style MAF and translator may be in my future. I cant take much more of this car.

Repaired MAF netted some overall improvement but idle still lousy and she tripped a code 44. decided to try a new 02 sensor since the one in there had been there quite some time and needed a change out anyway. With the new o2 sensor car idled in gear with ac on for half hour pretty smooth, set no codes. In the end it had a leaky egr, a leaky MAF, a leak in the intake flex hose, and a lazy O2 sensor all causing a terrible idle, stalling and setting code 44.