code 44 madness

gsgnnut

Ive been fighting with a code 44 poor idle issue on my 87 now for quite some time. maybe this will help someone else .granted if I had a scan tool I might have figured it out a whole lot sooner but nonetheless I finally figured it out. Went through every diagnostic for a lean idle condition and nothing was amiss. The car ran perfect off idle and real well from a cold start. when it got warm the idle went to hell. I do have a typical cracked right header so I always figured that was the probable cause and just lived with occasional stalling in city traffic, planning someday to get a new one. Anyway after going over everything again tonight I noticed that at idle I had more than the typical vacuum signal of 17inches . I noticed that when the engine came down to idle II had about 20 inches for about 15-20 seconds before the idle started going to:poop: and then the neurons fired and I had an oh duh moment.:eek: their must be either dirt or other obstruction in the idle bypass or the air valve is just closed too far. anyway A quick look at the air valve adjustment screw with the cheaters on told the story. The tip of the screw was not even contacting the tab at idle. a quick turn or so later the idle went perfect. A test drive through the city was in order with ac on. I expected the tps might now be out but the car held a perfect idle at every stoplight, it pulled hard under boost, no stumble or hestation and no codes. :D It Finally runs like its supposed too! I have ordered the aldl cable and software and have a good laptop so I won't have to pull out any more hair. :)

that is why having a scanmaster is nice,iac and tps is right there to see.these cars can get you to chase your tail for a while.

Thanks for posting your results. Someone who is still on the fence about getting a Scanmaster might take your headache to heart and do themselves and their hair a favor.