Clean up wiring under dash

m3x1c0

Bad luck Buick
Im getting ready to add another accessory that will need a constant 12v supply. I refuse to run a wire to the battery because I hate the way that looks so I will look to power it somewhere off the fuse box. However, while I was quickly rooting around under there today I realized my alky power connection came off with a slight pull on the wire because the fuse block connection doesn't quite have good tension. This got me thinking about a more solid connection using some sort of terminal. Has anyone created a nice breakout terminal box for power to clean up there wiring under there? It's basically a rats nest from factory so anything I can do to make it cleaner will be wonderful. Any wiring pics would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
I don't have a pic but it is pretty straight forward. You would be surprised how fast you fill up the fuse block. I have one for gauges hooked to ignition circuit and one for bulbs hooked to lamps circuit.

Bringing power in from bat to a common buss style fuse box for accessories will prevent contaminating the factory fuse box thus not affecting any ignition related items!
I use a mini fuse buss with ground for several low draw items (wide band, powerlogger, etc...) see if this works for you..............o_O

I don't have a pic but it is pretty straight forward. You would be surprised how fast you fill up the fuse block. I have one for gauges hooked to ignition circuit and one for bulbs hooked to lamps circuit.
Did you run a wire direct to your battery?

No I ran it from the fuse block. I think I used the gauges circuit, not the ignition circuit.

No I ran it from the fuse block. I think I used the gauges circuit, not the ignition circuit.
Sorry for all the questions but what guage wire would you recommend coming off of there? Small enough to use a spade terminal obviously?

I think I used 16 gauge. Nothing caught fire yet and it's been about 3 years :)

Pure power from bat will ensure no interference thru ignition and factory systems!!!
Try not to guess how power thru factory fuse block may react!!!

Pure power from bat will ensure no interference thru ignition and factory systems!!!
Try not to guess how power thru factory fuse block may react!!!

I have no idea how the factory wiring works but are you sure all those systems run through the fuse block before going to the ignition terminal? If not then in theory its just as good as running to the battery no?

More is better in this case............bring pure power with no loss of supply !

Do you really want to test 30 yr. old pieces??? New & safe feels better to me.............

You can grab 12volts at the back of the alt as well. If you are crafty it really easy to do and can be hidden.

More is better in this case............bring pure power with no loss of supply !

Not trying to disagree but I think I need to research what is in the way of that ign terminal. I'm already relying on the factory fuse block to run alky, wideband, maft pro. If those lose power at WOT Im blowing the top off this motor. Hasn't been a problem for many years for the PO and no problem for me in the year that I've owned it.

You can grab 12volts at the back of the alt as well. If you are crafty it really easy to do and can be hidden.

Only thing is that the Racetronix harness is already cluttering things up back there and don't want to add to the mess if possible.

There is Batt, and Ign 1 & 3 on the fuse box. I run mine to a term block and to the devices. Still have some clean up to do, but don't have a bunch of wires ran everywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

here is Batt, and Ign 1 & 3 on the fuse box
Look at some of the jy harnesses. You will see snap in connectors for use in these ports. No need to use spade terminals, that can fall out... {As already mentioned.}
A new terminal in a jy connector, and it's pretty much failsafe.

Magdaddys are a good way to retain wire bundles, too.