Classic Auto Insurance. Suggestions?

I was also once told that if you go too long without having an accident, you are considered a higher risk. A freinds father was dropped by state farm because never had an accident. He was way overdue. :facepalm:
Damned if you do, damned if you don't...

I'm sure seeing a agent is the better way to go. I had a friend that was/is a Farmers agent that does American Collectors as well. They did come out and inspect the car and take pictures has anyone else had this done?

I had to send in pics from multiple angles of the car including underhood to Grundy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just reading all the different threads, and what I have gather from the different quotes. everyone premiums are are basically uniform.
My personal opinion I can't bash State Farm , I been with them for over thirty five years { Telling my age ,and age may play a big part
of this } I registered my TB two years ago as an antique classic ,with 5000 miles cap annually driving ,garage kept { $129.00 a year
premium an insured for total lost at $28K. I will agree with TurboBuRick State Farm has been calling a lot wanting to go over my policies
and my rates have increase just a few dollars or so,But at my age it's not worth kicking them to the curb.

American Collectors Insurance in Cherry Hill NJ. Just got my renewal notice, agreed value $25,500, mileage tier 5000, $187.85. I did have to send multiple pictures when I first got coverage & have never submitted a claim. There are certain restrictions like not parking it at the mall to holiday shop but they also automatically raise the agreed value $500 per year. Pip deductible is $250, collision deductible Is $500.

Last edited:
I just switched to classic, agreed, value insurance at American Collectors located in Cherry Hill, NJ. I called all the other major classic insurers and they were all out of their minds. I insure two vehicles for an agreed value total of $35,000 for about $550.

Thanks everyone! I didn't realize there are so many other Classic car carriers. I'm going to give a few more calls. See if they are competitive. Main thing is I definitely want to be covered but I also would like to drive the car as well. Granted I'm not driving it much in the winter months here, but if we get a break from the rain I would like to take it out without having to worry about mileage restrictions, coverage etc... just tired of State Farm's mess. Plus I've heard a few questionable stories with their Classic Antique coverage.

I had coverage on the GN with State Farm for 2 yrs and as the 3rd year premiums were due I was double checking coverage and had been lied to as to agreed value. I didn't even have it at all once it got down to it. They totally misinformed me and luckily nothing happened in the first 2 years or I would have been screwed.

I have been with State Farm since 1985 and have 6 polices with them and have never had any issues . I do live in a small town in North Ms where ever body knows ever body . I go by bout once a year and talk with my man there and just make sure we all on the same page . I have mine insured for 30k for 180$ a year , I think its a 5,000 mile year policy . I'm not selling SF they have just been good to me . Just my 2 cents , Keith

Everyone here that has SF or any other regular insurance company for the TR, have any of you ever had to file a claim with them on the TR?

There was a friend here local several years ago that had his GN broadsided and totaled and he had SF on his TR because he had it on his DD, so it was convenient . Now I do not know the specifics of his policy but I do know he got screwed on the value of the car. This was a nice GN with fairly low miles in the 50K range. He did drive it to work sometimes, I asked him about that one day at lunch and he said yeah I'm with SF and there are no restrictions other than garage kept.

We talked about classic car insurance but he was happy with SF and was assured by his agent that the car was covered for it's value. This was probably a least a 15K-18K car back in like '07. Today in this condition I would say 25K-30K easy

The guy that hit him had liability only with some bottom of the barrel company.

SF led him around by his nose for 3-4 months, it turned out that the other guy had been drinking and I guess they were trying to go after him? The car sat in the pound for quite awhile I remember. He was offered $5K by SF. Hell it was worth that in the wrecked condition. He fought them for several months and ended up settling for 10K and keeping the car.

Every policy is different... if you not using Collector car insurance on your TR your just asking for it in my opinion.

Everyone here that has SF or any other regular insurance company for the TR, have any of you ever had to file a claim with them on the TR?
Every policy is different... if you not using Collector car insurance on your TR your just asking for it in my opinion.
My thoughts exactly. Also, big difference in Agreed Value vs Stated Value policies. Make sure you know which one you have before its too late.

My total lost is in writing or my car,and also shows it on my premium statement every six months.

I have heard quite a few people complain about State Farm when they have a claim on their classic car! I have Hagerty for all three of my classics. They are a little bit higher on the grand national and the Trans Am, but they're cheaper on my Bee then grundy. I've never had a claim with them; however I know quite a few people who have and its always gone flawlessly!
KID

Thank you everyone for the feedback! I really do appreciate it. I will end up going with a classic car carrier. Seems like the way to go per my situation.

I just signed with American collectors.
$40,000 agreed value
5000 miles a year
$500 a year

They blew Hagerty out of the park. Grundy wants 2 other vehicles on the policy.

State Farm use to be the best for taking care of customers. Now they are no better than Geico or the General. They don't care how long you been with them. Put in a claim and you will get the run around.
And like mentioned, stated value doesn't mean squat!

One thing I've learned over the years[dang I'm sounding old] is your insurance agent can make or break the deal. If you have a crappy agent then when you have a claim you will have problems. A good agent will go to bat for you and smooth over the bumps. I've had SF since the early 80s for my house and cars. Same agent and he's helped me out several times.

Grundy wants 2 other vehicles on the policy.

FYI for anyone who does not meet the 2 other vehicle requirement. Same thing happened to me and as mentioned in post #16 if you go through Philadelphia Insurance collector car insurance (which is still Grundy) you can get around this.

After reading this thread yesterday, I made a few phone calls, and got a few quotes. Ended up with American Collectors for my '67 Camaro Pro Street car. Agreed value of $50,000, for $235/year. That's after a discount for being a USAA member for 30 years... I'm going to add my '87 GN to the policy after the new year..
I must say, the guy from American Collectors, John, was spot on and extremely easy to deal with. If you call them, make sure you tell, them if you're a USAA member. They give a healthy discount to USAA members.