Class A RV Questions

Scott A

We are looking at Class A & Class C RV's for family camping adventures & tailgating. Seen some really nice looking Class A's for the $15-25k range for 8-10 years old, looks like gas prices have took their toll on RV's this year.

We're looking to haul (5) people during outings. One question I have is how do they equip the Class A's with seat belts for (5) or (6) people? From what I've briefly read, Class A's are exempt from seat belt laws, but some MAY have seat belts. I had a crash a few years ago where a seat belt saved me from a lot of hurt, so I've become more of a advocate of using them.

Also, when is the best time to buy one? I was thinking late this fall before most people put them away?

I have a 2001 Coachman class A 31 ft. The gas crunch has put a damper on our travels. But I have to be fair and say that we didnt use our much before gas went up. My wife is works full time and goes to college full time plus my 60 hr a week job.Kinda hard to get away.

My RV as most later models do have seat belts although most people never use them . Of course the kids are always belted down just like a car unless they have to run into the bath room. Some RVs have full shoulder,lap belts up front.My RV has single lapbelts in the dining room table, sofa and front captains chairs.

A word of advise if you are buying a gasser , Fords have the main market. The reason is that Ford is the only one that sells an in house RV chassis unlike Chevrolet. Buy something 2001 and later. It has the better v10 310 hp/425 ft lb. Make sure that what ever you get has a minimum 19.5 in dia. wheel / tire combo. The 16.5 in tire /wheel combo Class A RV's are very trouble some when it comes to blowouts.

The best time to buy is now.

Attachments

• l_5aa7e69a75e655851a60a53f5d912e62.jpg
    l_5aa7e69a75e655851a60a53f5d912e62.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 82
I have a 34' 94 Pace Arrow Class A and it has the shoulder belts in the front seats and a lap belt on the lazyboy.
My inlaws have a 04 Alpha and it only came with the belts in the front seats.

The next one I'm buying will be a Sennaca with the Duramax and Allison tranny. It's a class C but has tons of room and will pull an enclosed trailer much better then my 460 gas pot does. Not too mention I won't be over weight anymore.

R12 22.5 tires aint cheap either. They have a tendancy to overheat and fail. Mostly because the dealers use cheap no-name tires. A good set of Michelin's will last a while.

Just like heavy equipment, if there is a provision for seat belts - there needs to be a seat belt.

Since Class A's are soo big, your biggest concern is the four-wheelers. You are nothing but an obstacle to them.

BE careful, and happy RV'ing!

All, thanks for the info. Louie, that's a nice looking rv! Here's one similar to what I was looking at:

eBay Motors: FLORIDA 99 FLEETWOOD 34D SLIDE RV A MOTORHOME 9 HOURS (item 170215510577 end time May-11-08 17:48:43 PDT)

The one I'm looking at has 29k miles too, the guy is asking $27k for it. I need to look at it in detail. Would like to pull the GN on a trailer to Bowling Green too if I bought it, how do they tow and are there max GVW laws to be carefull of? I've already found out in Indiana you have to pay property taxes on RV's too, but its deductible on federal taxes like a regular home, along with any loan interest. Biggest concern is still the seatbelts though. I have (3) kids I would be travelling with, safety first!

Small world, myself and needboost were employed at Coachmen of GA. Can u get a diesel in the class c now?

My best Friend has a PACE ARROW 37.5 ft with two roof A/C's in nice shape. It has a chev 454 and he is asking $14,500 best offer. It is in above average condition.

Ty

That was weird , that RV appears to be right from my town. Thats a nice unit. Its an early V10 unit, its 275 HP. These were also known for blowing sprk plugs off the head. But there are argument about the reason for those issues.

From the pics I could tell that It was going to need an awning soon, thats about 1200. Another thing is to check the tires on them. Some say 5 years some say 6 years tops before they should be replaced. Check the DOT code on each tire. Usually they look new but are way old. 6 RV tires are expensive. These are things that should be checked and perhaps used to bargain for a lower price.

Just as a comparison I paid 30k for mine out the door 2 years ago. It had 65K. All of them driven by a 68 year old woman and her 70 year old husband. He was legally blind so he rode shot gun..LOL

They had every record available for it. He even had a set of headers, full stainless exhaust and a KN air filter installed on it. He also had some aftermarket suspension work done on the front end. The unit easily had 5-7 k in additions. Mine has no slide outs, makes it tight but it works great for us.

Oh I forgot, towing is not bad at all as long as its not overdone. I tow my open 18 fotter with my GN . I do use load leveler and a sway control. They have so much over hang that the load levelers are a must at times.

Slideouts are leaks waiting to happen! Keep a sharp eye out for leaks from roof/doors/windows and water lines. Small leak can cause major work. A shelter when its sitting is a good idea. I saw a LOT of floor jobs done under warranty.