CK Performance Full Billet 2004r

Michael Bradley

Hey Guys,

New member here but I've been to the forum many times exploring feedback on 2004r builders and tonight I need some help.

After much research and 2 failed transmissions from a west coast shop I made the jump and purchased a Full Billet 200r4 from Chris a couple of weeks back.

Tonight I have the car on a friends lift just installed the transmission and it seems I have some major pressure/TV issues at hand.

With the transmission warmed up and topped of with Mercon V I obtained the following pressures from my in car installed Auto meter transmission pressure gauge.

TV Disconnected - car at idle (1000 rpm)

P - 50 psi
R - 105 psi
N - 50 psi
D - 50 psi
3 - 50 psi
2 - 125 psi
1 - 125 psi

TV Fully Extended - car at idle (1000 rpm)

P - 140 -160 psi (fluctuates)
R - 250 psi
N - 140 - 160 psi
D - 150 - 160 psi
3 - 160 psi
2 - 125 psi
1 - 125 psi

In addition the TV pressures do not rise off idle, the TV cable needs to be about 50% before the pressures begin to rise. The pressure also does not rise with RPM in any mode.

The TV cable is adjusted perfectly (TV bottomed at full throttle) and the throttle body it hooks to off a 93 F body LT1 with the 700r4 so it has the correct geometry.

I remember Chris stating that the 2004r needs at least 235 - 270 full TV psi to survive in a performance application and I should be seeing around 90psi at idle so it would appear I'm way short of those numbers. I did check another gauge and the pressures where within a couple of psi.

I did E-mail Chris and I'm sure he will get back to me tomorrow, but for right now I wanted to reach out to the GN comunity to see if there is any obviuos things to look while I have lift time.

I'm heading out of state tomorrow on buisness for a couple of weeks and need to get this car back home but I'm affraid to drive the car with no pressure rise off idle.

Thanks for listening

I never understood the "disconnected" cable. The car doesn't operate that way. That is way below minimum setting. If cable comes off and exhaust checkball is removed from case, trans burns up if under heavy load. I check with cable always hooked up. Check one notch looser to compare pressures. Check pressure rise. Check WOT position. As for the fluctuations and non rise off idle, definitely talk to Chris. Could be something simple. Throttle valve lose it's little return spring or sticking. Leak at separator plate (gaskets to plate). I know Chris does a ton of checks, but things do happen once in a while. I purchase a lot of parts from him for the heavy hitters around and I don't have any issues with that so hopefully he will get ahold of you pretty quick.

I never understood the "disconnected" cable. The car doesn't operate that way. That is way below minimum setting. If cable comes off and exhaust checkball is removed from case, trans burns up if under heavy load. I check with cable always hooked up. Check one notch looser to compare pressures. Check pressure rise. Check WOT position. As for the fluctuations and non rise off idle, definitely talk to Chris. Could be something simple. Throttle valve lose it's little return spring or sticking. Leak at separator plate (gaskets to plate). I know Chris does a ton of checks, but things do happen once in a while. I purchase a lot of parts from him for the heavy hitters around and I don't have any issues with that so hopefully he will get ahold of you pretty quick.
Thanks for the reply GNeric, having been through this setup before the process usually entails checking pressures with cable disconnected and then connected to verify no pre load on the TV valve. In my case I have no immediate reaction to the TV valve movement until the cable is at about 50% out and I verified that the v valve is moving at the slightes throttle movement. In my conversation with Chris today he stated that the total cable pull should be about 5/8" and mine is 1.5" so we must be talking about something different. My cable buries the TV plunger at full throttle and yet my overall pressures are low and I have no pressure increase off idle.

Have you ran it through the gears with the back tires off the ground?
Could it have some air trapped somewhere?

No emails received.Give us a ring at the shop and we can try to figure out the dilemma.

No emails received.Give us a ring at the shop and we can try to figure out the dilemma.
Chris I tried sending you some photos and videos but I get a message that you are screening or limiting e-mails, could just be AOL issues but I'll try again and give you a call later today, Thanks.

Also getting some low reading on mine. What did you do to yours to fix the issue?
Unfortunatly I have been out of town on buisness since before Christmas and have done nothing with it yet, Chris felt it had something to do with the TV cable but that checks out fine. As soon as I get a moment I will be working with Chris to resolve the issue and will post the result.

Hi Michael,
What were results after you talked to Chris?
Hi Wiseman, sorry for the delay in responding, been out of town on buisness.

I pulled the tranny Monday and dropped it of at CK Tuesday, waiting to hear back from Chris as I write this, I'll keep the forum posted .

If i lived closer id be dropping mine off as well. This is my 2nd one from CK that has went out in about 100-150 miles most of them being easy cruising miles... I cant afford to keep paying install and for fluid.... its breaking me..... Just want the darn thing right! It acted weird with real high shift point 1-2 from the get go on this one. The first one shifted great but just started slipping 3rd for some reason and now this one started slipping as well but in any gear it seems... didnt beat on it after it slipped once to know... Im at a loss until i can get Chris on the phone. :(

Looks like we all got our tranny's around the same time. What is the deal? Mine is shifting 1-2 at 5mph with really low pressures. Hope I didn't wast $2400

I feel pretty strongly about putting a pressure gauge on a TV operated trans during initial install. Over the years of building, selling, and installing these units I've learned that a pressure gauge will save the builder and the customer a lot of grief.
Simply put, it's critical to the transmission, and most enthusiasts and even some shops just don't get the TV cable correct. The safe answer for the builder is to make it fixed line pressure, but it's not always doing the customer a favor.
Another common issue is sticking TV valve. I don't really know the reason but we see sticking TV very often on fresh rebuilt units. I suspect it's clutch material from break-in. We do mods to prevent a sticking TV and check it closely before installing the valve body, but they still stick occasionally on the dyno. How it can be perfect on a bench, and 3 hours later on the dyno sticking blows my mind but it happens. This is another reason the pressure gauge is important during initial install.

Mine was fine as far as pressures on install. But the shift points have always been wrong on this last trans. Wanting to shift 1-2 6-6100 RPM and 2-3 at about 56-5800 depending on temp. After letting it go through the gears a few times at WOT it would turn the shift points down a couple hundred RPM.....

What did you want the shift points to be?

After getting it thoroughly warmed up the fluid viscosity can change the shift points slightly.

They were set and tested at 53-5400rpm But never did that in my car. Chris is taking care of it. Has some great customer service.

I got a 2004R done by a local shop here in southern California, mine shifts at 6k 1-2 @WOT and 6,200 on the 2-3 every time without a hiccup, been beating up on it for about 1 yr and so far so good, on the streets it drives like a dream and it shifts nice and solid without your neck snapping every time at light throttle..the trans has all billet internals and a 3,500 stall from Dusty..

Still waiting on my replacement trans.... Now its supposed to be here first of the week. I will let you all know how it turns out.

Still waiting on my replacement trans.... Now its supposed to be here first of the week. I will let you all know how it turns out.

Curious how you made out. I purchased a trans from CK Performance also that has a few minor issues of various leaks.