CK Performance Full Billet 2004r

I'm not surprised to hear you all are having problem with him..It seems I hear this more and more from people, Good luck.

I had nothing but problems and smoked 2 of their full billet roller trannys and the 3rd was about smoked when i took it apart AND it didnt have all the parts he pffers in it either which id expect it to being the biggest build he does for them!! I have 3500$ invested with CK as i had to pay for trans fluid etc odds and ends every time i changed it. Had my drive shaft break on the dyno this week and it ripped the trans off the engine so i was forced to pull it apart to use its internal parts " the internal parts that are worth re using anyways which sure arent the clutchs or valve body or governor.." in my BRF trans i have here that was original trans for the car. Had a good trans guy pull it apart that was instructed my Vince Janice of all people and the stack height etc was wrong in 3rd and was signs of the clutchs he used slipping pretty good already with maybe 150 miles on it mostly easy driving and hwy and about 20 hits on it on the street with tires spinning and 1 dyno pull and was using clutches that shouldn't be used over 400hp im told... VERY disappointed. The last 2 trannys he sent me NEVER shifted correctly EVER and neither did this one i have now. SO i got took for 3500$ and SOOOO much time and frustration and now going to have to redo this trannys correctly and spend more money on parts and labor..... I mean you would think he would know how to set up the stack height AT LEAST and use GOOD CLUTCHES!!! He knew my car was going to be a high HP car. Its just a low 10 sec car now but soon will be well into the 9s..... Been nothing but a frustrating time consuming wasted $ pit of a deal. And after seeing inside the trans of this last one it wouldn't have lasted too many more pulls until it was slipping..... I honestly feel like i should get some $ back but its not going to happen so i guess im eating 3500$!!! LESSON LEARNED! Anyone that wants more detailed information just PM me. Frustrated right now and probably didnt go over everything well. There is a bit to the story ive had to deal with over the past months....

To be honest, I am just trying to be optimistic and save myself the stress of thinking that I wasted a pile of money.

I decided to just buy new pan gaskets (2) from Advance Auto which are a black rubber type and made by Felpro. I did get new duraprene ones from CK Performance (free replacements since the trans leaked fluid out of the pan from day one :( ) but since the gorilla shippers decided to fold the box in half and smash it all to hell I didn't trust even using them. To be honest, I think the duraprene ones are garbage especially if you have a stock pan. Before I installed the new gaskets, I decided to try and get the pan as flat as possible (something that seems was never done from what I can tell before CK installed the ~30~ year old pan). Both front corners were bent which explains why I had such a bad leak from day one. I took my time to get it back perfectly FLAT and got the pan installed using the "better to me" gaskets from Felpro. No leaks now :)
I also pulled the electrical plug housing and cleaned everything real good and put a small bead of black RTV around it just in case the O-ring decided it didn't want to do it's job again. That leak is now fixed as well :)
Now after spending all this money on a transmission, I can finally DRIVE my car without leaving puddles everywhere I park and hopefully find that everything internally is working as it should be. I did notice a few tiny metallic flakes in the pan already, which I hope is 'normal' for a rebuilt transmission(?)

I decided to just buy new pan gaskets (2) from Advance Auto which are a black rubber type and made by Felpro. I did get new duraprene ones from CK Performance (free replacements since the trans leaked fluid out of the pan from day one :( ) but since the gorilla shippers decided to fold the box in half and smash it all to hell I didn't trust even using them. To be honest, I think the duraprene ones are garbage especially if you have a stock pan. Before I installed the new gaskets, I decided to try and get the pan as flat as possible (something that seems was never done from what I can tell before CK installed the ~30~ year old pan). Both front corners were bent which explains why I had such a bad leak from day one. I took my time to get it back perfectly FLAT and got the pan installed using the "better to me" gaskets from Felpro. No leaks now :)
I also pulled the electrical plug housing and cleaned everything real good and put a small bead of black RTV around it just in case the O-ring decided it didn't want to do it's job again. That leak is now fixed as well :)
Now after spending all this money on a transmission, I can finally DRIVE my car without leaving puddles everywhere I park and hopefully find that everything internally is working as it should be. I did notice a few tiny metallic flakes in the pan already, which I hope is 'normal' for a rebuilt transmission(?)
It could be from new bushings taking a seat, but really should not be much. Good Luck and keep us posted.

It appears now that the servo(?) is leaking as well. The pan leaked so bad initially that I couldn't tell that the servo (the round thing on passenger side of trans) is puking fluid.
Anyone have any tips on something to try? I believe that it takes a special tool to remove it but I was thinking of trying to tap on it a little and hope for a miracle(?)
I'll never invest this kind of money into something that isn't built locally ever again: Lesson learned for sure.

Just use a prybar and wood on the floor pan. There's an O ring in there and it maybe not seated correctly.

FYI CK has the most problems of any tranny vendor on this site, just search. Next time use Extreme Automatics, Dave Huesk, Vince Janis. Ck has good parts awesome shift kit...but terrible customer service IMO....just from my experence over the years. Everyone has a bad day, but he seems to get more than his share of posts like yours.

I went into this thinking he was the best out there going by what some others have said. I never thought I would spend this much on a transmission, but I finally talked myself into it and thought I would truely be buying a bolt-in and go unit. After I purchased the trans, I starting coming across alot of bad feedback via google searches/etc. I was hoping I would get 'lucky' but it seems that isn't the case. In what little driving I could do in the last month or so, I noticed other issues that aren't quite right (like the trans shifting into overdrive at WOT and then violently shifting back/forth between drive/overdrive until I let out of the throttle).
I am now broke since the only reason I could afford this trans is due to a kickback from uncle sam. I don't have ~$522~ for round trip shipping. I never thought that would be required for a trans that is 'tested in a car before shipment'.
There isn't anyone in my immediate area that I found who can even build one of these transmissions which is why I felt confident (in the beginning) going with CK Performance.
Even *if I finally get all the leaks corrected on my own and figure out why the trans shifts irratically between D/OD under WOT, I still wouldn't recommend CK Performance simply because these are issues that ~should~ have been detected during testing (IMO, anyways).
Hopefully the rest of my summer isn't spent buying extra trans fluid and chasing leaks.

I am too far to help, not sure of anybody up that way. If you send it back it will comeback and still have issues. I received PM's about his units,I have toredown one that was not what it was supposed to be parts wise and I have read enough threads to know stay away. But some guys have had good luck so definitely hit and miss with them. He offers a lot of nice CNC parts etc. I would ask for some sort of refund and use the guys suggested above.

You are using OD @WOT? What gears are you running?

The car is an 86 MCSS with a 350 which is making an estimated 360HP. It has 373 gears. I live in a rural area so I travel roads with long straightaways which allow a person to open it up and shift through every gear if you want. I didn't have any problems with my 87 SS (with stock 2004R) and this 86 SS (when it had the stock 2004R) running it that way. It would shift from drive to OD under WOT and then stay in OD (like the transmission is supposed to I do believe) and not violently slam back/forth between drive/OD.
I have a 2400-2600 stall lock up converter that I orderd through CK at the same time I bought the trans. I haven't notice it "lock" ever or maybe it locks as soon as it shifts into OD(?) I have been running a 2004R in my summer daily driven car(s) for the past 6 years so I am familiar with how they ~should~ operate. This trans doesn't seem to be quite right, IMO anyways. I am alarmed by the amount of brass colored shavings in the fluid (not a ton, but still....should there be any?) Also, the trans shifts HARD in every gear. Almost too hard to me. Seems like alot of attention is focused on making the trans shift hard instead of firm/positive like it should be I'd imagine.
I have noticed that te trans shifts hard into all gears (including OD) which is fine I guess but the shift into drive worrys me since it shifts firmly into drive but then seems to slip a little immediately afterwards. Reading Blevin's comments in this thread about his transmission woes from CK has me even more alarmed.
I am a member on montecarloss.com and several members replied to a thread I had over there when I was looking for a good place to purchase a performance 2004R stating how CK Performance was the "go to" guy according to members from this site for a solid 2004R.
I am now realizing that this may not be such a definite. I wish I would have seen some of the posts I've read since purchasing this trans BEFORE I spent $2500 there. Knowing what I do now, I would have probably went with someone else.
Live and learn I guess.

86 MCSS NA said:
It appears now that the servo(?) is leaking as well. The pan leaked so bad initially that I couldn't tell that the servo (the round thing on passenger side of trans) is puking fluid.
Anyone have any tips on something to try? I believe that it takes a special tool to remove it but I was thinking of trying to tap on it a little and hope for a miracle(?)
I'll never invest this kind of money into something that isn't built locally ever again: Lesson learned for sure.

My ck servo leaks bad. One day has a 2 ft puddle under it. I tried everything I also developed a fucd up 1 2 shift after a few hundred miles. Its a full billit. Might go with a different style servo

QUIP'6' said:
My ck servo leaks bad. One day has a 2 ft puddle under it. I tried everything I also developed a fucd up 1 2 shift after a few hundred miles. Its a full billit. Might go with a different style servo
it shifts back and forth violently going into second at wot

I did get the servo to stop leaking by 'flexing' it in/out several times with a prybar and piece of wood on the floorboard. I guess I should be happy (*knock on wood*) that my trans waits until the last shift transition D-OD before it does the violent back/forth shift. If mine did it going into 2nd, I would be even more upset.
"Testing every trans in a car before it leaves" would show some of these issues, would it not? :(

Hate to see anyone get screwed and I hope you get the trans sorted out. But, I am happy to see this thread as it is more truth about CK and he does alot of bs chest pounding and thats about it....he screwed me for near 2000 bucks several years back as well as many ive came across. Hope this thread helps deter people from buying from him.

Was there any resolution to the original poster's problem? I'm about to pull the trigger on a 200-4R from CK but I'm noticing that my issue is almost exactly the same as two others on this board using CK components. I'm nervous as hell now.