CJ5 Hot Air Transplant Input......

Notrightinthehead

Hello to everyone @ TurboBuick.com . I have spent the better part of this afternoon reading all kinds of interesting and informative threads here. So much good info that I had to join.

I am new to the turbo motors with the exception of my little 86' 2.2 dodge that I had as a young man (many-o-moons ago so bear with me as I read my gn repair manuals and threads on here...).

So starts my next project... my newly purchased 84' gn motor into my 76' cj5. Aftermarket jeep manufacturing pretty much makes the 3.8 a bolt in process....motor mounts, flywheel change, bell housing adaptation, radiator requirements and such....

So....here is the first of many....many questions to come. I understand there were never any stick shift gn's built. From other reading and such I have come to an understanding that when adapting this motor to a stick something needs to be done to release turbo pressure between shifts (a blow off valve perhaps??) in order for the turbo to be able to spool up as the trans is put in the next gear. Has anybody had any experience with this or know of modifications to help with this? I am adapting this to a ford 4 speed out of a pickup (a common adaptation in the jeep world when doing aftermarket motor swapping).

I welcome any and all input. I think this motor with the right modifications will not only be one hell of a conversation piece out and about but just a beast when it comes to mud/sand/that punk kid with the little 4 cylinder at the light that wants to TRY and beat me.

Again....any and all help and/or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time in advance - Scott.

I actually pulled the v6 out of my YJ for a SBC. I didnt like the v6 off road at all. I had an SM420 and dana 300 behind mine.

They work fine with a stick behind them. though you will find most flywheels are super heavy.

With this particular engine that you have, there is no way to add a BOV effectivly.

Good Luck

Thanks for the input. I'm at the stage where the reading has wandered off in several directions from my originally intended subject. Again, thanks.

I am doing a similar swap. i have a hot air in a first gen 4x4 toyota. it has an old school downey offroad 3.8 oddfire conversion. So now with the hot air im running all the toyota accessories and wiring. i had caspers build me a stand alone harness for the engine. just waiting on a fuel pump to run it. best of luck with your swap!

With a stick, won't you lose boost about as soon as you take your foot off the gas and press the clutch? Certainly by the time the next gear engages and you get your foot back on the gas?

Also, a V8 has 4 fires per turn of the crank, a V6 has 3. So a V8 already has torque where a V6 hasn't made it up the slope yet.

Man, I just noticed how OLD this thread is .... :D