chris ellis says turbo cars are not good braket racers??

national

He says a turbo car is inconsistent & dont make good braket racers..i havent had any problems with mine if i leave it alone & dont mess with it..if i leave at same boost everytime.pretty consistent to me..been 6 almost 7 years since ive raced though & he races every weekend..anyone wanna braket race him? hes in nashville tennessee & races at musiccityraceway.com.
im curious how many braket racers are on here that go every weekend that would know the answer to this

He says a turbo car is inconsistent & dont make good braket racers..i havent had any problems with mine if i leave it alone & dont mess with it..if i leave at same boost everytime.pretty consistent to me..been 6 almost 7 years since ive raced though & he races every weekend..anyone wanna braket race him? hes in nashville tennessee & races at musiccityraceway.com.
im curious how many braket racers are on here that go every weekend that would know the answer to this

No. But ill heads up race him:biggrin: . Imo bracket racing is gay. No offense

he has ran 6.20s but mostly runs 6.40-50s..eight mile..pretty quick but i know you being stage 2 should take him..hes not a betting man either..

he has ran 6.20s but mostly runs 6.40-50s..eight mile..pretty quick but i know you being stage 2 should take him..hes not a betting man either..

The s2 isnt in yet. Be a damn good race if mine stayed together.

In a way he's right! BUT! In our defence, in 90-91-92 I raced almost every weekend & have 250 timeslips to prove it. With almost no mods but good tires & airbags & a boost controller I would run 12.7-12.71-12.72 every run!!
Over & over & over! Came 2nd at Canadian GM Nats cuz I redlighted when I pushed thru (being too anxious) So they can bracket race, but the faster you go the harder it is I think. Need close to a stock car that you dont kill every run. JMO?

Turbos tend to be more sensitive to weather changes since barometric pressure, humidity and the resulting changes in A/F can affect spoolup, and that effects the way the chassis is loaded as well. The Pro-5.0 guys run 100mm turbos and run well into the 6's and are pretty consistent, but not as consistent as say a belt driven blower car, since peak impeller rpm is dictated by pulley ratios, not exhaust temperature and gas flow. You need to have one of those personal weather stations and know how to use it to tune and set up the chassis. If you run in the 12's or slower, it's not going to be as finicky. You can run them in bracket racing, but it can take alot more work and know how, which has a level of satisfaction in itself....knowing you need a brain to be competitive. Not just mash the gas and go.

Ive heard alot of people was leaving off the TPS! Once your all dialed in, I could see that being pretty consistent.

Imo bracket racing is gay.

Not any different than running on an index.

I have found my GN to be very consistent. As long as I show up and the tune is spot on off the trailer than I'm set for the day. I may not be pulling in my fastest time but I am pulling in the same time every run. I've had days were the runs were .001-.003 seconds of a difference. And I've been to tracks where the weather varied so much that the car would slow down a tenth or two in the span of a couple of hours.

I agree with Chris Ellis (whoever he is).

Most successful bracket racers (who compete in the NHRA divisional events every weekend and make it to the annual bracket nationals events) have cars with small block V8's, 2 or 3 speed automatics (with air or co2 shifters), 2 step rev limiters and transbrakes.

Their ET's are usually +/- 0.002 seconds and reaction times are extremely good.

For any Turbo car to be as consistent, it would have to leave the line at the exact same boost and rpm every time. That is difficult to do when you are trying to build boost while staging.

I've tried bracket racing without building any boost at all but as a result my reaction times were horrible, because it takes longer for the car to get moving and untrip the beams!

And as someone else already stated, weather has a bigger effect on turbo cars than n/a cars. Even the time between rounds can effect the performance of a turbo car because of the underhood temperature, temperature of coolant, oil, transmission fluid, intercooler, etc not cooling off the same between rounds.

I'd like to see the types of cars that have placed first in all the bracket classes at the buick gs nationals since the event started - I bet 90% or more of the final round winners are naturally aspirated.

well idont bracket race any.haven teven had the car to the track in a long time but when I did I never seen a big difference in my times as the night got cooler..no more than a reg apirated car did..I left same 5lbs of boost & was pretty dang consistent.Im not that fast of a car either as a fast turbo car may be more tempermantal..im sure the big boys in nhra are .002 consistent but the guys at my track are not..

Hi,
An old time freind of mine, who is a weekend warrior,says don't try to be consistent with a turbo Buick. He runs an '67 Fairlane with a big block,has his situation dialed down to a science. His name is Mike Ulrey, and he runs at tracks all over the south east. I guess I can respect his opinion, but that doesn't mean I agree with him.He's a great drag racer, but beleives in normally aspirated power only.Stick a turbo into the equation,watch out!

Well, wrong or right he's entitled to his opinion. Just like those that think bracket racing isn't real racing. :)

theo ne timei had my T Type at the track- an 1/8th mile track- on a friday night grudge night, i made 10 runs, and they all were within a couple thousandths of each other. this was done during the evening between 8pm and 11pm, with the temp dropping about 10 degrees and the sun setting during that time.
i was also able to cut near perfect lights every time- ranging between .001 and .003.
so, yes, i'd say that atleast my turbo Buick was consistent.

Why does he have to prove it..dang man..he says it im sure hes not lying about it..I have had about the same results when i raced..i was racing whiel the sun was out till it got late & colder..Ill take a pic of my trophie that night..its all the proof I have..

Prove it.
Scan and upload all ten timeslips.

Why does he have to prove it..dang man..he says it im sure hes not lying about it..I have had about the same results when i raced..i was racing whiel the sun was out till it got late & colder..Ill take a pic of my trophie that night..its all the proof I have..
As 83ttypecooled stated..someone running a natural aspirated car again like chris ellis is stating not to run a turbo car because it is inconsistent..i never hear alot of turbo guys state they are not consistent..just mostly die hard old fashioned racers that know nothing about turbo cars..maybe they are not consistent..who knows..faster ones anyways maybe..

Prove it.

why is it that pretty much all the tracks down south are 1/8th mile? that just doesn't seem to be that much fun compared to 1/4 mile. i bet that alot of those guy's haven't been on the qtr, and just don't know what thier missing

Prove it.
i would, but i don't know what box all my timeslips wound up in a couple of years ago when i was moving.
there was one guy there that night that was a bracket racer, and he did ask me about my car and how it always seemed to run the exact same number all the time. he did say that he was considering getting GN or T Type becasue of the way my car ran run after run.