Chicom Junk receiver/driers

Roger

All 3 of my China receiver/driers leak at the fitting to the evaporator.

They only leak at high pressure, a normal installation does not check for leaks under high pressure, only at low pressure. This makes the leak almost undetectable when working on the A/C system. Low pressure at the receiver/drier is seldom above 50 pounds during A/C operation. When the A/C is shut down, the pressure equalizes throughout the entire system - normally more than 100 pounds in the receiver/drier.

The Chicoms are resurfacing the sealing surface in a smaller diameter than original at a depth of more than 40 thousands deeper than original. This resurfacing at deeper & smaller diameter creates a step which cuts the "O" ring seal & causes the evaporator to not fit in far enough for a good seal.

I trashed my original 'cause I'm installing a new one & now I have to have another shipped - more delay. I'll have to put it in the wife's oven when she's at work to dry it out.

Hi,
The oven doesn't work with an accumulator. The dessicant only lasts so long,and can not be purged of moisture. After a while, the thing disintegrates,and will be all through your system.Plus, unless you are going to charge with R12,it doesn't work, even if you had an OE replacement part from yesteryear. You are planning on R134a aren't you?
I had not heard about the problem with these new accumulators not seating properly,but would not doubt your claim. Would a thicker oring help? I don't doubt this is very frustrating. What method of leak detection are you using?

System was designed for R12. 134 only works on the highway & doesn't cool as well at a looooong stoplight - have to adjust temp & blower speed. You probably are correct concerning the dessicant issue, however, I can open it up & replace the dessicant - thanks for alerting me.
I tried stacking o rings & thicker & whatever - no dice - still leaks.
Currently expecting a call from Brian - hope he has good news.
Local dealers can get something on special order - don't know where it'll be from. Wanting original GM.

Hi,
Any OE part is gonna be history by now, as far as the dessicant is concerned. As far as cutting the accumulator open, how good are you at heliarcing? It's going to be lots of fun to get that back together without a leak. Good luck with your project.

Roger, local parts store has a Delco replacement dryer made in the USA for ~$28.

Will call you later tonight..

Roger, local parts store has a Delco replacement dryer made in the USA for ~$28.

Nick,

Which "local" parts house? I may have to have it sent here.

My local Advance & NAPA & the dealer all have the China with the improper (leaking) resurfacing.
Roger

Hi,
Sorry to bug you again, but I wanted to let you know that it is unlikely that you will find anything short of an OE part that is not made in China. Unfortunately,the Chinese have cornered most of the automotive parts industry. Some Chinese stuff is OK, but a lot is just painted up to look like an OE, but is not. It is a sad commentary about our world, but times are changing. In our quest for cheap stuff, we are selling ourselves.

Hi,
Any OE part is gonna be history by now, as far as the dessicant is concerned. As far as cutting the accumulator open, how good are you at heliarcing? It's going to be lots of fun to get that back together without a leak. Good luck with your project.

If I have to cut open my receiver/drier, the hard part is I haven't researched avalibilty of dessicant.

Welding is for me a snap - not me, my local welder is a retired Navy welding instructer - wish I could weld. Will welding burn up the dessicant?

Napa wants $24 for Four Seasons. Oreilly wants $33 for a Murray, which they said is made by 4 Seasons. Are these any good?

Four Seasons makes at least 2 different reciever driers for the GN. I have one of the competitively priced on order from Rockauto.com. Rockauto shows pics on their website & the more expensive Four seasons & the acdelco will not fit the GN. Rockauto said they have only had 2 returns - 1 in 2009 & 1 in 2006.

All locally aquired (8 at last count) leak or will not fit our GNs.

Hopefully it'll arrive before the weekend. I have a tracking # & will keep checking on it.

hey roger, i had dans auto air weld the oem neck to the new evap core. but funny thing. i vacuumed down and it held 30 then next day 25. so i put in freon now 2days later its gone.. i think my china dryer maybe be leakin too?

i put dye in tonight but could find the leak. it blows cold rifght now but maybe if i let it sit like you stated above it will leak?

autozone is where i bought the dryer from. they had two and one was a adjustible? i dunno

Four Seasons makes at least 2 different reciever driers for the GN. I have one of the competitively priced on order from Rockauto.com. Rockauto shows pics on their website & the more expensive Four seasons & the acdelco will not fit the GN. Rockauto said they have only had 2 returns - 1 in 2009 & 1 in 2006.

All locally aquired (8 at last count) leak or will not fit our GNs.

Hopefully it'll arrive before the weekend. I have a tracking # & will keep checking on it.

Rockauto lists 5, from $16 to $66. Which would you guys recommend? Or should I just buy a 4 Seasons from Napa for $24? Mine is only about 2 years old and is leaking from the weld. It's probably a 4 Seasons with a one year warranty. Probably explains why Rockauto had only 2 returned- they crap out one year after the warranty expires.

I ordered the $16 receiver drier from Rockauto. I considered the Denso, however, I didn't want to wait two more days. The $66 unit won't fit our cars.

I'm getting paranoid, finding so many of poor quality workmanship. Apparantly my local auto supply stores are getting them from Texas & Texas is getting them from China & China butchers the seal surface. The dealers are getting them from acdelco & acdelco won't fit our cars.

side note

I found leaking schrader valves on two of my buicks,
charged em , worked fine, few days later, no freon,
both leaked on low press side, replaced them, now its just fine,

I ordered the $16 receiver drier from Rockauto. I considered the Denso, however, I didn't want to wait two more days. The $66 unit won't fit our cars.

I'm getting paranoid, finding so many of poor quality workmanship. Apparantly my local auto supply stores are getting them from Texas & Texas is getting them from China & China butchers the seal surface. The dealers are getting them from acdelco & acdelco won't fit our cars.

I just ordered one from the Buick dealer, $35. Has a 1 year warranty or 12,000 miles. I gave him the VIN. Why do you say the AC Delco doesn't fit? Is it too tall, too wide, or both? I'm hoping a little extra quality goes into the Delco unit than the parts store brands, even if it IS made in China.