Chevy S10 swap

XJOSHX

Looking into syclones and typhoons it got me thinking. As much as I would like to have a syclone, I would almost feel guilty modding it to hell and back. I would mainly feel bad because of how rare they are. All this got me on the ball of thaughts and now I am pondering doing a buick 3.8T into an S10.

Since i have never really looked into swaps I am not to sure about the motor mounts. Are the buick motor mounts the same as SBC ones?

As far as transmissions I think I would go th350...what exactly do I have to do to get a TH350 to work with the 3.8?

As for the whole project I was thinking mid 90's S10, 3.8T with new cam, ported heads, alky injection, and TE44 (to start out with) TH350 with 3500 stall and POSSIBLY a tranny brake. Send all that to either a 9" or an 8.8" rear end. maybe narrow the rear jsut a tad and mini tub it. I personally wouldn't mind seeing low 11's or possibly high 10's with a set up like this.

Has anyone ever seen this swap done before? I keep searching here and turbobuicks.com and have not seen anything.

I guess I am getting rusty, I can't even remember the stock weight of a GN anymore. anyone care to refresh my memory?

Thanks in advance everyone!!!

I have an 88 S10 set up for a 87 GN engine. They actually made a 8.5 rear factory for the S10 and its a bolt it. Thats what I have in my truck. The Buick V6 doesnt bolt in as easy as the Chevy V8, the frame had to be notched. Also a S10 weighs a lot less then a GN.

Originally posted by S10xGN
HELLO!

You must have missed me. :p Check out my web...

damn I guess so. Seems as if as soon as you stop looking it jumps out at you. Thats a very very very nice truck you got there.

anyone know how much those early 90's s-10's weigh compared to the foreign mini's?

I saw a guy at the track who's 87 S10 weighed 3050lb. with a chevy 350, 350 tranny and 9" rear . 2700 seems about right.

That's alot lighter than my '96! I weighed with me (235#) and a half tank (10 gals = 65#) and weighed in at 3750#. That would make my truck 3350#, but I also have a 'glass bedcover and full spare (125# + 50#) without which it would be a svelt 3175#.

In a few months my 88 S10 will have the new engine installed(rebuilt 87 3.8 turbo) , and I'll get it weighed at the yard I sell my alum. too , my S10 is pretty stripped down, non power steering, non AC , weld wheels, and no heavy chevy V8. I've pushed both GN's and my S10 both with engines installed and there is a huge difference in weight.

on a scale from 1 to 10, how hard do you think it is or was to put a GN engine in a early s-10? id like to do it but was curious what id be up against? to bad i couldnt find one done...lol

There was a Blazer on here for sale a few months ago, with a GN engine in it. I thinkthe price was $1800 , pretty cheap.

yeah i saw that not really a blazer fan though....how hard was your swap Intercooled88??

My truck had the GN engine in it when I bought it. The frame was notched , modified crossover pipe, caspers wire harness, modified down pipe and they made some pipes to connect the intercooler to the engine. I'm in the process of doing the truck over and fixing the mistakes the previous owner made. I wouldn't say that its a hard swap. My truck is a non AC truck so it maybe a little more difficult with AC. If you need ideas I can send you pictures of the mods they made in my truck. To make it fit.

I've got a 93 S10 I am going to do a swap in starting probably this winter at the college I am going too. I need something to keep me busy and the 2.8 is just to darn slow for me. So, I am sure I will be posting later for some ideas and help. I was also thinking of putting a T56 behind it and see how I like it. It will be a daily driver when I am done. Perfect for the drive between my house and college because it is about a two hour drive. Just imagine the gas mileage it will get with a six speed. Who can really say they have a 12 second street truck and get 23 or more miles to the gallon.

Deron L.

I have an 88 S10 GN powered, if you have any questions , I can give you the details of how my truck was done. It may help. Feel free to e mail me direct if I can help with any questions. My e mail is Fortune628@aol.com .