Chevy II

DailyDrifter

The Slow and the Curious
has anyone put a GN drivetrain into a Chevy II. I'm debating on eventually putting my engine in one of these cars bacause nobody makes body panels for these cars and I always had a little soft spot for these cars, plus they are light as can be

The 1st Gen, 2nd Gen, or the 3rd Gen Chevy II? First 2 you will need to get an aftermarket front clip to really fit and get rid of the eviling handling from the primative semi IFS setup. The 3rd generation is the same as the 67-69 F-body and people have done that swap.

Yes the 3rd Gen X-body was known as a Chevy II for the first 2 years I believe.

Tiny thats exactly what im looking for. although I couldn't pay 16500. I guess I would go with a 2nd gen 66-67ish. I also saw they they selll new front clips for about 3500, and they make floors, door skins, rear quarters, and about everything else for these cars

hey tiny t,that is the first and only car i instantly thought of. i loved the blue and the conversion was done very nice. where did u pull it up from?

I am in the process of putting a GN motor in a 63 chevy II. I tried it with the original front end but had HUGE issues. The pan hit on the steering and the exhaust manifolds had a major clearance problem. I purchased a front clip from Checkered racing and all those problems are gone. But I did have to do some customizing with the down pipe because the width of the frame rails on a chevy II are very narrow. I bought the 5" down tube kit from RJC racing and fabbed a custom downtube from the first bend off the turbo out. It looks real nice. I can post some pictures if you would like to see them. Have a good one,Turbo6man

hey tiny that is a nice notch. i was going to buy a stang and the notch is the only one i would get.take off the badging try to keep the exhaust quiet and next to a t.r they are good sleeper cars

I'm going to tint the windows to hide the cage. I think a set of 10 hole stock wheels, flat hood, and quiet exhaust. Once the 3.8 Buick motor is in, things should go smoothly.

agree. flat hood stock rims. and get a 3inch single shot exhaust from the turbo,so it looks like a 4 cylinder notch.then it will be a perfect sleeper

I am in the process of putting a GN motor in a 63 chevy II. I tried it with the original front end but had HUGE issues. The pan hit on the steering and the exhaust manifolds had a major clearance problem. I purchased a front clip from Checkered racing and all those problems are gone. But I did have to do some customizing with the down pipe because the width of the frame rails on a chevy II are very narrow. I bought the 5" down tube kit from RJC racing and fabbed a custom downtube from the first bend off the turbo out. It looks real nice. I can post some pictures if you would like to see them. Have a good one,Turbo6man

post those pics man i would like to see how they fit as i have access to a nova like that

63 chevyII turbo pics

Here are some pics:smile: I finished the motor mounts and all brackets which were required to be manufactured for the checkered racing front clip. Everthing is all back apart, and I just got the it back from powder coaters.

Attachments

• 100_5849.jpg
    100_5849.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 406
  • 100_5850.jpg
    100_5850.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 390
  • 100_5851.jpg
    100_5851.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 401
  • 100_5714.jpg
    100_5714.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 392
  • 100_5721.jpg
    100_5721.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 400
a few more pics

Here is the frame powder coated. Notice the indent in the passenger side of the firewall. I fabbed this to allow the RJC 5" down tube go to 4 inch exhaust and not rub on the tire at any part of the suspension travel. Also if you look just below the windshield wiper motor hole on the earlier not painted pics you will see an opening which is welded in with metal on the later pics. This allowed me to put the motor in the original location and still be able to remove the valve cover.

Attachments

• 100_6032.jpg
    100_6032.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 391
  • 100_6034.jpg
    100_6034.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 388
  • 100_6035.jpg
    100_6035.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 374
  • 100_6036.jpg
    100_6036.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 379
  • 100_6033.jpg
    100_6033.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 374
Chevy2

Those Chevy2's have always been my Favorite. That is way cool that your transplanting an LC2 in a Chevy2. So far the work you've done is off the chain.

Thanks for the nice reply's

Thanks guys, I will post some more pics when I get the fenders on and the motor in.:smile: