Cheap 109 buildup goals

Look on the board for used forged pistons I was able to get a nice low mile set and IMO better than new hypers any day.

OH yeah a "budget" roller cam using the 90's FWD set up can save hundreds.....

If I were planning a budget build and still expecting a 11.00 time slip here is what I'd do:

No Caps. No Girdle. Stock turbo Crank. If you can tune the car with No Detonation you will be fine at this power level.

Keep the stock pistons if possible. The stock pistons are STRONG!!!! They are a bit heavy, but they will take a BEATING and come back for more. (Right Bison?) Hone the bores a couple thousandths oversize and coat the pistons to make up the difference.
Total Seal File fit rings. Control your ring end gaps.
Stock rods, carefully resized to the minimum bore dimension......save 100$ and skip the ARP bolts........NOT Needed!!!!
Flat tappet cam, good springs and lifters of your choice

Keep the rod and Main clearances TIGHT!!!!
.0016-.0018 on the rods
.0017-.0020 on the mains

Use a stock style timing chain, They last fairly well and they are not too expensive

Rework the stock front cover. Get a copy of the Buick Motorsports book. They describe the mods needed. Or check out Earl's write-up. Proven mods that flat work.

Don't waste a lot of time porting stock heads and buying expensive Manley valves. "Pocket Port" the bowls under the valves. That is where the most gain can be found.......ask any good head porter who checks his work on a flow bench.

Balance the rotating assembly. You free up horsepower when you balance an engine. You would be surprised how much imbalance exists in a factory rotating assembly.

This is some of the best advice I have read in a while. Dave guy knows what he is talking about. Thanks Dave:cool:

I ran a low 7 (1/8th mile) again last night in some serious heat and humidity. Boost was 21 PSI with 110 race gas and Erics 110 race chip.

Stock crank...stock pistons...stock caps....stock rods...reworked oil pump/gears...file fit rings...stock timing chain/gears...balanced rotating assembly...212/212 flat tappet...8445 ported/polished large valve heads. I beat on this at my local track most weekends. Remember...NO KR.