Charging issue,

TXGS

Good Morning All,

I was replacing my alternator of my GN yesterday because of a charging issue. While removing the electrical connections I noticed that one of the two wires that go to the main plug of the alternator was cut and left uncovered (not my doing). The car does not charge and car will run until battery runs low. I read about the dash light and my voltage light currently works when I turn the key and goes the light goes out. I am new to the GN world but not classic Buicks, any thoughts would be great.

Phil, had the car been hot wired for the FP?

Post up a pic if you can.

Good Morning All,

I was replacing my alternator of my GN yesterday because of a charging issue. While removing the electrical connections I noticed that one of the two wires that go to the main plug of the alternator was cut and left uncovered (not my doing). The car does not charge and car will run until battery runs low. I read about the dash light and my voltage light currently works when I turn the key and goes the light goes out. I am new to the GN world but not classic Buicks, any thoughts would be great.

Sounds like someone installed a new plug. On the stock '86/'87 Buicks only the L terminal is used (lamp). At key-on, engine-off if the dash Volts lamp doesn't light up the alternator won't charge.

RemoveBeforeFlight

David, the previous owner hooked up the external FP by running it off of the stock sender system. When I installed the new sender and fuel pump, I just unplugged the connection and connected the new electrical lead. no wires were altered up to the weather pak connector where the sender connects.

RmvBfrFlght, I have the volt light on when the ignition is on but motor is not running.

With the dash light working the alternator should charge. At least if the volt light turns off once the engine is running. If you can get to the cutoff wire in the connector, and it is the F terminal, jumper it to a +12 volt source. If the alternator now charges then the regulator is bad (internal to alt).

RemoveBeforeFlight