Charcoal Canister

Big Dawg

Hi again,

Quick question about the Charcoal Canister. Since I have got the car back on the road after sitting parked for almost 20+ years, everytime i go to fuel up after about 20litres the gas starts to overflow out of the filler neck, I know for certain that the tank is not even half way full.

Could this be because of a bad or plugged up charcoal canister, preventing the air to vent and letting fuel fill up without overflowing?

I was thinking of just getting another canister and replacing it, or is it even needed? I was thinking if I get rid of it, what would be the negatives and positives.

I have been reading a bunch of threads on various forums and there are people saying get rid of it, keep it, or relocate.

Thanks guys,

TType85

Did you replace the gas tank by any chance? I have heard the newer spectra tank has issues like that filling the tank. They made the baffles better than the previous tank but it is hard to fill.

I would keep the charcoal canister to cut down the gas smell when it sits.

Big Dawg

Did you replace the gas tank by any chance? I have heard the newer spectra tank has issues like that filling the tank. They made the baffles better than the previous tank but it is hard to fill.

I would keep the charcoal canister to cut down the gas smell when it sits.
Hi, I actually did replace the tank with a Spectra Tank last Aug. Hmm who would have thought that a better built tank would cause a spillng issue.

Also I decided to keep the Canister I just relocated it between the fender and steering box. How long does the Canister last? I blew the Vent line from the tank to the tank while it was unplugged just make sure there was no obstructions.

I also ordered a Charcoal Canister off Amazon that was a direct replacement for an '85 and it turns out that it doesn't have the sensor plug in. It was a Standard Motor Products Part # CP1022. Im just going to send it back.

Thanks

Last edited: