Champoin Iron Heads vs. Champion Aluminum Heads

sikhbuick

Deciding on a set of heads. What do guys recommend on a street use car, with a fresh .30 motor, 6262S turbo, 60 ibs inj, alky, front mount cooler, double pumper, 3" single shot exhaust

Also what type of Cam?

all suggestions much appreciated.

Aluminium,heads are easier to repair than cast iron. In case of a crack,valve breaks & drops down & takes out chamber ,etc.

but dont irons, take more abuse and are more forgiven?.. at least thats what i was told and the reason i went with irons

I heard you can run 1/2 point higher compression w/aluminum heads,dissipates heat better? Aluminum Chamber expands after engine is warmed up & therefore drops comprssion?

I think some problems are that the deck surface might not be thick enough on some aftermarket heads? = sealing problems?

I would always run aluminum heads over cast iron,simply because they are much easier to repair.

All i will say from my experience is that irons will bolt on almost every time with little work. Aluminum heads may require extra work to bolt on. Aluminum will give the user a big advantage in valve springs if the engine is being built around 5700+ rpm. Below that there is little difference in performance.

I heard you can run 1/2 point higher compression w/aluminum heads,dissipates heat better? Aluminum Chamber expands after engine is warmed up & therefore drops comprssion?
You can run any compression ratio you want. I opt for 9:1 or more myself iron or aluminum heads, dissapates heat better yes, expands more yes, drops compression, absolutely not.
I think some problems are that the deck surface might not be thick enough on some aftermarket heads? = sealing problems?
Thinking this and actually having proof of this are two different things completely. The truth is the aftermarket heads available from the Champ and TA have a lot more material in the areas where the stock heads tend to deflect on the intake side of the combustion chamber. Detonation causes the sealing problem most often.
I would always run aluminum heads over cast iron,simply because they are much easier to repair.
What aluminum heads are you running?

I will be using this cyl head. Chevy 250 L6 3/4" thick deck 320 CFM @ .600 lift
DSE4linkCamaro69Sissellcylhead005.jpg

DSE4linkCamaro69Sissellcylhead006.jpg

DSE4linkCamaro69Sissellcylhead008.jpg

DSE4linkCamaro69Sissellcylhead009.jpg

DSE4linkCamaro69Sissellcylhead015.jpg

I have cast irons on my Syclone.

I will be using this cyl head. Chevy 250 L6 3/4" thick deck 320 CFM @ .600 lift
DSE4linkCamaro69Sissellcylhead005.jpg

DSE4linkCamaro69Sissellcylhead006.jpg

DSE4linkCamaro69Sissellcylhead008.jpg

DSE4linkCamaro69Sissellcylhead009.jpg

DSE4linkCamaro69Sissellcylhead015.jpg

I have cast irons on my Syclone.
I remember seeing that head. Its a serious head. What boost levels and spring are you going with. I remember the old thread

I remember seeing that head. Its a serious head. What boost levels and spring are you going with. I remember the old thread

I am thinking the boost range of 25-30 psi.

I have to purchase springs,but IIRC 1.550" Seat pressure of 350-400

I let my friends shop take care of that part of the engine,they are the experts;)

Solid rollor camshaft has .600 lift w/a 1.8 rocker 240 duration @ .050
on a 117 lobe center. I think a little much for a street engine,but for now that's what I got.:cool:

I am thinking the boost range of 25-30 psi.

I have to purchase springs,but IIRC 1.550" Seat pressure of 350-400

I let my friends shop take care of that part of the engine,they are the experts;)

Solid rollor camshaft has .600 lift w/a 1.8 rocker 240 duration @ .050
on a 117 lobe center. I think a little much for a street engine,but for now that's what I got.:cool:

Thats a 1200-1300hp cam there. What turbo?

I am looking at tens in the quarter. It appears Irons are they way to go, at least for a streetable application.

Thanks guys for the advice.

Thats a 1200-1300hp cam there. What turbo?

Yes,
I agree, but it was the only cam I could get from Isky @ the time so I chosen that grind so I could regrind it w/more appropriate specs for my combo.

I am looking for about 1000 HP,,,turbo ,,I am thinking of a BB Turbonetics Super T-76. "S" trim wheel & since it will be a street car,about a .84 A/R on the turbine housing,,that might choke it a bit to make 1000 HP,but I think if I can make 800 HP, I would be pleased I believe w/800 HP.:cool:

What other turbos would you recomend of something simular to the Turbonetics Super T-76,Precision,Garrett?:cool:I am shopping for a turbo.

Thanks

Yes,
I agree, but it was the only cam I could get from Isky @ the time so I chosen that grind so I could regrind it w/more appropriate specs for my combo.

I am looking for about 1000 HP,,,turbo ,,I am thinking of a BB Turbonetics Super T-76. "S" trim wheel & since it will be a street car,about a .84 A/R on the turbine housing,,that might choke it a bit to make 1000 HP,but I think if I can make 800 HP, I would be pleased I believe w/800 HP.:cool:

What other turbos would you recomend of something simular to the Turbonetics Super T-76,Precision,Garrett?:cool:I am shopping for a turbo.

Thanks
Honestly I would go with a Precision HP7675B .
It has a capabilty of 1200 HP and is available in BIllet wheel with Ball bearing cartridge also.
I have never been impressed with the T netics 76 S trim and "believe" its rated under 1000 HP.

Yes,

Thanks
after the TB.com dyno chalange on Monday, I will have a great 42-76 non ball bearing Precision unit for sale, with dyno #'s. I will tell you it will be a lot cheaper than the HP7675B Otto recomonded. :wink:

Honestly I would go with a Precision HP7675B .
It has a capabilty of 1200 HP and is available in BIllet wheel with Ball bearing cartridge also.
I have never been impressed with the T netics 76 S trim and "believe" its rated under 1000 HP.

Thanks for that.

Are the Precision turbo cartridges able to rebuild or do you throw away the cartridge when it gets damaged?

BTW,how much is the Precision HP7675B , got a link to that turbo?

I like the Turbonetics super T76 because it has a 4" discharge flange instead of a typicle 3"
What size discharge flange is on the HP7675B turbo?
Thank you:cool:

after the TB.com dyno chalange on Monday, I will have a great 42-76 non ball bearing Precision unit for sale, with dyno #'s. I will tell you it will be a lot cheaper than the HP7675B Otto recomonded. :wink:

Sounds good.
What are the specs on that particular turbo?
Price?

Thank you:cool:

Deciding on a set of heads. What do guys recommend on a street use car, with a fresh .30 motor, 6262S turbo, 60 ibs inj, alky, front mount cooler, double pumper, 3" single shot exhaust

Also what type of Cam?

all suggestions much appreciated.

Which heads did you end up with?
Which cam did you end up with?