Champion intake

toomanymodz

Weber has started building my new stroker engine. It will have GN1 heads and a 218/212 billet roller. I'm debating about the intake right now. Since this is a fresh build, I have no intake to give them for a core. Some websites will sell a ported intake and charge a $250 core charge.

I'm looking at the Champion Intake with billet rails:
http://www.gbodyparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=918&osCsid=0b7dfadd8d5586984cc2dad122b3f189

Since I'll be spending over $550 for a ported stock intake, I'm thinking about just spending another $200 and going with the Champion.

I know this manifold is probably 'overkill' for my goals, which is mid 10's on race gas and low 11's on straight 93 octane. Will this manifold hurt drive-ability and/or throttle response?

This car will mainly see street duty and occasional track use. I drive 2 hours each direction to the track and I'd like to keep doing that. Any comments are welcome.

Save yourself a few bucks...and port match your existing intake to match your heads. Just my 2 cents.

That's alot of intake. Get one from a board member. Save you a ton! Bet Grumpy has one.:biggrin:

i had the same decision to make when i built my motor. i went with the champion intake, it comes with fuel rails and new doghouse (extra coin added to the stock ported intake) saved my stock intake for another project. (saved shipping back and forth) anyway, i drive mostly street, have noticed no adverse effects at low rpm's etc. runs better up top too. if u have the coin i say do it.

..........................Since I'll be spending over $550 for a ported stock intake, I'm thinking about just spending another $200 and going with the Champion.

I know this manifold is probably 'overkill' for my goals, which is mid 10's on race gas and low 11's on straight 93 octane. Will this manifold hurt drive-ability and/or throttle response?

You will be spending more than $200 to go with the Champion. :eek:

It will need to be port matched to your heads, and it will need to be machined to fit properly on your heads.

We have done many of these, and always need to do work on them like most all aftermarket parts.

You are having a "custom built" engine, and you must fit the intake properly. Even most stock intakes require machining to fit and match properly on rebuilds.

I am sure you will get the same story from Weber as they do quality work. :)

My opinion, go with the Champion now while you are in process of a new build, you will not regret it! :cool:

You will be spending more than $200 to go with the Champion. :eek:

It will need to be port matched to your heads, and it will need to be machined to fit properly on your heads.

We have done many of these, and always need to do work on them like most all aftermarket parts.

You are having a "custom built" engine, and you must fit the intake properly. Even most stock intakes require machining to fit and match properly on rebuilds.

I am sure you will get the same story from Weber as they do quality work. :)

My opinion, go with the Champion now while you are in process of a new build, you will not regret it! :cool:
I have the Champion on stock unported heads. Yes I bought it for it's beautiful craftsmanship.:redface: I did not though have to do any work to make it fit properly. Is there something I'm not aware of? I have it back off right now swapping lifters. Now would be the time to correct something if needed, otherwise it fits like a glove. Thanks.

I have the Champion on stock unported heads. Yes I bought it for it's beautiful craftsmanship.:redface: I did not though have to do any work to make it fit properly. Is there something I'm not aware of? I have it back off right now swapping lifters. Now would be the time to correct something if needed, otherwise it fits like a glove. Thanks.

Even though we do street builds, I have never had to opportunity to install a Champion intake on unported heads. :confused:

On serious ported heads, it is necessary to use large port gaskets of varying thickness to obtain proper alignment. On unported heads, the ports are much smaller than the intake manifold ports, so proper alignment is not necessary for the ports.

We also see the fit to the intake surfaces may be mis-aligned so the gasket is not a tight fit across the entire surface. If oil is on a used gasket at the bottom edge and up a ways, this would indicate machining is needed.

Place the intake in place w/o any gaskets and run a feeler gauge along the edges to be sure you have a uniform fit top to bottom on the surfaces between heads and intake manifold.

Good. I'm glad it doesn't have any adverse affects during street duty (i've done a few kills this week). Weber didn't mention anything about extra machining. They've installed many of these, so I trust they know what they're doing and all. I don't mind spending the extra coin. I'm a single guy, so I won't get beat up by a "significant other" if I splurge on this thing. :)

Good. I'm glad it doesn't have any adverse affects during street duty (i've done a few kills this week). Weber didn't mention anything about extra machining. They've installed many of these, so I trust they know what they're doing and all. I don't mind spending the extra coin. I'm a single guy, so I won't get beat up by a "significant other" if I splurge on this thing. :)

If you have the COIN I say do the Champion Intake. ;) A little over kill but what the heck. Some will say the stroker is overkill.:p Another WRE Stroker in the works!!:biggrin: I don't know how mine runs but it sure LOOKS purdy!! You made a good choice!!

We have the Champion ported & non ported in stock ready to ship. We also will drop ship it for you.

Thanks Nick. I've been running it few several months with zero issues. I'm actually using the stock Felpro valley pan gasket. I hope to upgrade to better heads in the near future but all seems to work good so far.
Even though we do street builds, I have never had to opportunity to install a Champion intake on unported heads. :confused:

On serious ported heads, it is necessary to use large port gaskets of varying thickness to obtain proper alignment. On unported heads, the ports are much smaller than the intake manifold ports, so proper alignment is not necessary for the ports.

We also see the fit to the intake surfaces may be mis-aligned so the gasket is not a tight fit across the entire surface. If oil is on a used gasket at the bottom edge and up a ways, this would indicate machining is needed.

Place the intake in place w/o any gaskets and run a feeler gauge along the edges to be sure you have a uniform fit top to bottom on the surfaces between heads and intake manifold.

You made the right decision. Go with the Champ intake and be done with it!
Conrad

Does that intake accept a stock style (Accufab) regulator or does it require a fancy one?

yes, i have my (stock style) kirban's rail mount on my champion intake, only thing is u need little spacers. i think the intake comes with them, however i lost mine b-4 installation so i improvised and made my own. no biggie