Ceramic coatings for automotive paint?

TR87386

Since I value the advice I have gotten here over the years I am curious if any of you have experience with the professionally installed/applied ceramic coatings out there? I just purchased a new truck here in New England. The conditions are obviously brutal on a vehicles finish in the colder months. It’s a darker color (I usually buy white trucks) and I am considering paying to have this done to preserve the paint as much as possible. This process is pretty expensive (I have read anywhere from 500$-2000$) For anyone that has had this done or maybe has experience installing it I’d love to hear some feedback. I know there are consumer level kits that you can DIY but from what I have read they don’t perform as well. Thanks in advance guys. -Patrick

Attachments

• 995D43A5-CF62-44B1-B68B-2B64C254198D.jpeg
    995D43A5-CF62-44B1-B68B-2B64C254198D.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 51
Very nice truck. Just my opinion but think you should concentrate on the undercarriage and body panels done with Krown. That's where all the problems will be. The paint for quite a while has been very good on the GM trucks. Its the brake, fuel, etc lines and frames that are getting beat up.
I sprayed all my panels inside in 2006 with LPS-3 and a couple times since and knock on wood there's no rust at all, underside seems to be a constant battle, didn't know about Krown back then. Also had the whole rocker panel area from fenders to end of the box sprayed with Line-X and has kept anything from hurting that area that takes the brunt of what the tires kick up.

Oh it’s getting the Krown treatment as well. I have never coated the underside of any vehicle I’ve owned but regretted that I didn’t on the truck I’m trading in as the frame/brake lines etc are getting crusty (2013 Sierra) And thanks!

A friend had a ceramaic coating done on her Mustang last year. Until that day, I'd never seen bird poop bead up and roll off a car. But it did. I haven't seen the car recently to see how it's held up, but it was definitely impressive after the first two weeks.

For the stuff to work, they have to do a full paint correction. Then the pricing is based on how many coats and what the warranty provided is.

I have had it done I my GN. I would do it three times over. I absolutely love it all ceramic coatings are goodsome better than others? Don’t know. But from my experience and I shopped around different shops that apply it before I committed to one.
It’s all in the prep work. Some shops hire anyone off the streets with no experience so be careful to what shop you go to.
The shop I went to the guy told me the type of paint I had, stage 1 lawyer eighties paint. He went through his whole process. I visited his shop several times during the week. All he had was high end cars and some
Everyday cars. But his work was the cats meow. My car finish looks like glass. Remember ceramic coating is not scratch proof it isscratch resistant. There is a misconception. Every time I used to pull my GN from the garage after a few weeks of not driving it. There would be a layer of dust. So I would carefully dust it off but would always get those dam swirl marks. So I would spend a day coating it, polishing, waxing it and sealing it. A whole frocking day. Then I would be to tired to go for a ride. Now with this ceramic coating. I use a my leaf blower to blow off the dust and it is good to go. Car show days I use a waterless spray and man it is like I just finished waxing it. In my opinion it is worth it. Again it’s all in the prep, paint correction. Do your homework and visit the shops. I went with Ceramic Pro. Not pushing one product over the other Here is my car after blowing it with a leaf blower this weekend. Also A quick video after getting it washed one weekend.
Also I don’t drive my car everyday. It’s a garage queen. But I am very pleased with the coating. I also got my wheels done. And man the brake dust just blows off With the leaf blower and when they are extremely dirty with brake dust I use the water hose and the shit just slides off.

Attachments

• 25B93B42-3CA1-4A54-9BA5-6C032D8A2F20.jpeg
    25B93B42-3CA1-4A54-9BA5-6C032D8A2F20.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 63
  • B81134A9-533F-4A25-8F44-68900102D29C.jpeg
    B81134A9-533F-4A25-8F44-68900102D29C.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 65
It's all in the prep work but you can do it yourself. It is especially easy on a new car since there is almost no paint correction to do. I use McKees 37 and it's fairly easy.