Century transmission by mike kurtz

Well my car is not that fast yet but he has built plenty that run in that ET range. I think mine is a stage 3 ish. Most of my internals are upgraded or billet. Whenever I go to his shop I always see a turbo Buick or two and usually some other high performance cars as well. There have been a lot of articles about his transmissions over the years in GM High Tech Performance magazine.

Mike has been building these trans for a long time. I believe he's buick was in the 9s or low 10s . I will have him build all of mine. He knows his buicks.

I meet him about 17 years ago when I bought my first gn. That man save my butt big time. That's why I will stick with him because he didn't try sticking it to me . being new to the buick world. He just a good guy.

I recently went to Mike Kurtz at Century Transmission to freshen up an older build that he did. After trailering the car three times to him and spending $3300 on a freshen up, I finally had to just get my car away from him. Shifted at less than 100psi (in 3rd before I exit intersection) . The only shift you could feel was the clink on all downshifts. When we went for a ride he said feels ok to me. I would call the guy a total freaking idiot but I did pay him to screw up my transmission.

All I can say is ask him some semi technical questions and you will find out for yourself that he is an idiot.

His claim to fame is “I had the first tb in the 9’s”. Read the article on his wall...he didn’t even build that transmission. He doesn’t even know what IAC #’s are supposed to be.

Total fricking idiot!

Century has been around forever and they have done lots of people well. Husek is a great choice and a pretty cool guy.

I recently went to Mike Kurtz at Century Transmission to freshen up an older build that he did. After trailering the car three times to him and spending $3300 on a freshen up, I finally had to just get my car away from him. Shifted at less than 100psi (in 3rd before I exit intersection) . The only shift you could feel was the clink on all downshifts. When we went for a ride he said feels ok to me. I would call the guy a total freaking idiot but I did pay him to screw up my transmission.

All I can say is ask him some semi technical questions and you will find out for yourself that he is an idiot.

His claim to fame is “I had the first tb in the 9’s”. Read the article on his wall...he didn’t even build that transmission. He doesn’t even know what IAC #’s are supposed to be.

Total fricking idiot!
That is disappointing to read. I assembled my own after having experiences like you describe with dealers when my car was new. Mike was always good to the Buick guys so I hate to hear you had a poor experience.

I'd try David Husek or Vince Janis. Again I've not bought from either but know guys who have and both answered questions for me when I was researching my build. Unfortunately the 2004r is a dinosaur of a trans and hasn't been put in a production vehicle in almost thirty years. That isn't to say it isn't a good trans, just that there are "secrets" that need to be adhered to when assembling one to have it perform satisfactorily. Not every trans shop can put one together and have it perform. Fortunately there are still a few.

Total fricking idiot!

$3300 to freshen up?why didnt he just build you another unit.
If you are in the Houston area Id love to have a ride in the car.
I've built many 2004r's for the local guys , I take care of more than a few old Century customers.

That is disappointing to read. I assembled my own after having experiences like you describe with dealers when my car was new. Mike was always good to the Buick guys so I hate to hear you had a poor experience.

I'd try David Husek or Vince Janis. Again I've not bought from either but know guys who have and both answered questions for me when I was researching my build. Unfortunately the 2004r is a dinosaur of a trans and hasn't been put in a production vehicle in almost thirty years. That isn't to say it isn't a good trans, just that there are "secrets" that need to be adhered to when assembling one to have it perform satisfactorily. Not every trans shop can put one together and have it perform. Fortunately there are still a few.

Yes, those are all good names. I would even throw Steve V in the mix.
Like you said , I eventually end up building everything myself. It just makes everything easier.

The only reason that I went to Mike was because of his reputation on the Buick forums. It wasn’t till I spent time walking the shop and talking to him that I realized that he had very little specific knowledge of our cars. Semi-knowledgeable of vehicles in general ( he bows own a shop) but knowledge of the turbo Buick’s was minimal at best.

I can understand that shit happens and sometimes things don’t go right on a build. Believe me, I know. I took my Century fully built in because I had some 2/3 slipping. Called me a week later said it’s done. Pulled the trailer an hour and a half to get it. $3400 and he said it still slips 2/3, shift manually and bring it back and he will replace the valve body for another $500, no labor charge.....

Lonnie’s valve bodies are about $290.

He charged 100-175% markup on all the parts and tells me I’ll just have to shift manually???? When the problem was a $290 Valve body the whole time.

Oh well it is what it is. Let’s go for a drive..... slides into 3rd at 20 mph and clunks on every downshift. I look at him and say wtf. Feels fine to me he says. At that point I found the one thing I can’t fix, which is stupid. Loaded up my fully built to the hilt $8000 Century Transmission and took it to the house to fix it.‍♂️

I've built many 2004r's for the local guys , I take care of more than a few old Century customers.

Exactly, was supposed to be a freshen up. I tripped when he told me it was that much. Then he wanted another $500 to fix it.
I figured that it’s all good if it holds the power. It wasn’t till we went on the test drive that I fully realized that he had know idea how to “build”.

4 C's Transmission in LA will do it right.
Jus' sayin'.