Centering Rear End?

Royal-T-Ltd

Am I correct in thinking that if the rear end is closer to the left side, shortening the right side lower control arm would shift the rear end over to the right.... correct? (This is with non-stock, adjustable control arms)

I will be doing it right with measuring and using a plumb bob but wanted to make sure I have a clear picture in my head first....

Thanks to all who respond - aaron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It seems to me that adjusting only one lower control arm would move only that side forward and backward and bind up the whole thing (axle).
I'm thinking adjustable upper control arms are required to shift the axle side to side. Loosen one side half turn, tighten the other side half turn.

It seems to me that adjusting only one lower control arm would move only that side forward and backward and bind up the whole thing (axle).
I'm thinking adjustable upper control arms are required to shift the axle side to side. Loosen one side half turn, tighten the other side half turn.
thanks for the response ! [I have adjustable uppers and lowers for clarification]

I am just trying to find information or instructions somewhere to center rear end when you have adjustable suspension components. Recently while working on my car, i noticed its sitting closer to one side wheel well than the other and figured i have adjustable suspension - i should be able to center it perfectly..... than i guess i would just need to make sure pinion angle is correct .

Any write ups anywhere?... ive been looking for past week or two and haven't seen any clean cut write-ups. First hand experience would be awesome too.

-aaron

thanks for the response ! [I have adjustable uppers and lowers for clarification]

I am just trying to find information or instructions somewhere to center rear end when you have adjustable suspension components. Recently while working on my car, i noticed its sitting closer to one side wheel well than the other and figured i have adjustable suspension - i should be able to center it perfectly..... than i guess i would just need to make sure pinion angle is correct .

Any write ups anywhere?... ive been looking for past week or two and haven't seen any clean cut write-ups. First hand experience would be awesome too.

-aaron

Don't measure from the fender lips. Measure from the control arm mount points.

Shortening a side will indeed pull the axle to that side. It will also pull that side towards the front of the car and mess up your thrust angle. You really should make the adjustments on an alignment rack so you don't end up with a car that dog-tracks like it's been in a wreck. If you change the thrust angle in back, you'll need toe adjustments up front to keep the car going straight.

Measuring from the fender lips will expose a body that's not centered on the frame. That's also easy to fix. Loosen the frame bolts and use a ratchet strap to pull the body back to midline, then snug the bolts down. Also, it's not unusual for the front fenders to be different shapes side to side. I had my car checked on a frame rack. It's perfectly square, but I have 1" more distance from the outside of the front left fender to the tire than on the passenger side. The fenders aren't exact mirrors of each other.

Sorry Aaron, I don't have first hand experience yet.
Something to consider is the bodies aren't all square with the frame either.
The inside of my tires, both left and right, kiss the frame just a bit once in a while during hard cornering.
I replaced the upper control arms with UMI non adjustable upper control arms that have poly bushings and installed poly bushings in the axle housing as well to help with this.
I'm wondering if I should have went with adjustable uppers just in case.
I figured I'd measure from the frame. I'm not that far yet.
If your axle/ tires are square with the frame it may be necessary to shift the body over. It depends on how------ ahh------meticulous you are. Lol

Best of luck,
George