Center Caps Melted - Brakes Smoking

A friend has a Ford 150 puck up. His driver side front wheel got so hot you couldn't touch it. He said the brake hose probably deteriated inside and didn't let the fluid release the caliper all the way. Might want to change your brake hoses.

A friend has a Ford 150 puck up. His driver side front wheel got so hot you couldn't touch it. He said the brake hose probably deteriated inside and didn't let the fluid release the caliper all the way. Might want to change your brake hoses.
Thanks rick. Probably going to do that next weekend. Have some stainless lines.

I had that happen once on my gmc truck the whole caliper failed

My guess would be if he lives in an area where they love salt it finally made the caliper stick. Personal experience have never had a rubber brake hose fail. The Grass Doctor mentioned a GMC, whatever possessed GM to change a brake caliper design that has worked great for decades and switch to a pos like they did.
I guess that's what happens when you put a woman in as CEO. Hewlett-Packard and Xerox are 2 more examples.

I’m not sure what you mean by this. When I put it in it was aligned to what I thought was good.
The fact that the m/c is correctly aligned, has nothing to do w/ the problem. It either fits, or it doesn't.
Easy test.
Pump the brakes, check to see if the wheel is locked. If yes, crack the bleeder. Does the caliper release?
Yes: Obstruction between the caliper and the m/c.
No: Either the hose is plugged, or the caliper piston is stuck.
To check my suggestion, pump the brakes up. Check to see they are still locked.
Yes: Loosen the nuts holding the m/c to the booster, and pull the m/c out a bit.
If the brakes release, the m/c pushrod is too long, or the pedal p rod is too long, or the m/c is the wrong one.

The fact that the m/c is correctly aligned, has nothing to do w/ the problem. It either fits, or it doesn't.
Easy test.
Pump the brakes, check to see if the wheel is locked. If yes, crack the bleeder. Does the caliper release?
Yes: Loosen the nuts holding the m/c to the booster, and pull the m/c out a bit.
If the brakes release, the m/c pushrod is too long, or the pedal p rod is too long, or the m/c is the wrong one.
My brakes aren't locking up when on the rack. i think I was just a bit hard on her that day. Anyway, I have some stainless hoses to put in this weekend. I don't like i have 33 year old hoses on there but have never seen a brake hose fail.

My last GN made it 3/4 of one lap (stock brakes) around Eagles Canyon Raceway. 3/4...of....one....lap.

Easy test.

Did your test more thoroughly. Pumped the brakes, wheels weren’t locked. I think I was just a bit too hard for one day. But man, I’ve never had that happen before. 80s GM, gotta love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just an update. I went in to replace my brake hoses and did t have proper wrenches so decided to wait. Anyway. Did some maintenance anyway. Got some caliper grease and greased anywhere there would be movement lightly. Took a c clamp and pushed the caliper cylinders back in as well. Put everything back together and let the fronts gravity bleed for an hour. Buttoned everything up and pumped up the brakes to get the pistons back out. Went for a ride and had a massive pull to the right for about the first mile when braking. After a mile things started to get better. I still have a pull to the right slightly when braking so I think my next steps are hoses and calipers.

Took a highway ride at normal speeds for about 15 miles and came back to check temps. Not nearly as hot this time but the rims get to about 160F on each side.

A dragging brake makes a stink that's hard to miss. The smelly one is the sticking one lol. Maybe none of yours stick.

A dragging brake makes a stink that's hard to miss. The smelly one is the sticking one lol. Maybe none of yours stick.

They aren’t sticking at all. I think I was just beating on the car that day to make them smoke. Bearings and everything look fine. Moving on.