catalytic converter

brandnu6

Hello everyone. Happy 4th of July. Wondering if anybody else hates smelling like exhaust after driving with "test pipe" in place of stock/restrictive catalytic converter? I know what you're thinking, but there are "high flow" cats available. The problem is overall length, 3" inlet, 2 1/2" outlet with 4 bolt flange. By the time you buy cat, get a flange, weld it on. It's going to be an expensive P.I.T.A. The test pipe measures 13"'s I believe. Magnaflow makes an 8" cat w/ 3" outlets both sides, good quality # 59959. Has anyone built one of these? Or does anybody sell these? I have to rub "air freshener tree" on my cloths when I go out to eat! Just kidding. Let's do some research together. And see If we come up with something here. Thanks...

Appears that for $119 and a trip to your local muff shop you are in business.

Might need to work on your tune. Sounds like it might be a little fat.

Though a cat would keep it on the "right" side of the law.

Might need to work on your tune. Sounds like it might be a little fat.

Though a cat would keep it on the "right" side of the law.
Hi there. How are you. Yeah, I thought of that. I haven't been able to get a hold of Eric Marshall. Can't even leave a message, "Voicemail is Full!" I hate when that happens. I've got his 93 octane chip and 42lb injectors. Maybe he could burn one a little leaner? I don't know. But I do know that having a "High Flow" cat would make a difference. The problem is It's not a "stock" item once you change "downpipe." Factory cat to big and way too restrictive. That's why I am reaching out to the community. I need some help making this happen. By the way, has anyone spoken to Eric lately? I've called all hours of the day for a week, no response! Thanks for your response, take care...

Not sure how you are trying to contact them but it is a holiday weekend. I would give it a few more days and retry.
Not sure which chip you are using but some of the offerings have the ability to adjust the fuel and spark advance. Might look into that to see if yours has that option.

Not sure how you are trying to contact them but it is a holiday weekend. I would give it a few more days and retry.
Not sure which chip you are using but some of the offerings have the ability to adjust the fuel and spark advance. Might look into that to see if yours has that option.
Hi again. I tried calling him all last week. Beginning Last Monday. He could have gone on vacation I suppose. I'll try next week, after the 4th. And yes, his chips are adjustable. But I still want to talk to him first before I go messing around with adjustments he told to "leave alone" when I first installed. Thanks for feedback. However, I still want some input regarding catalytic converter in place of 13" test pipe. It is especially bad when idling at a light. It's made to go into "open loop" for smoothness! That's when it really smells of exhaust.

Post the BLM number from your Scanmaster with the engine warmed up in Park. If you gave Eric the correct info then you don't have to adjust anything for daily driving.

Dumping fuel into a converter isn't good for its longevity, and just installing a cat doesn't solve a poor tune or other issues. What does your O2 look like when idling? is it cycling up and down? You could have a worn out O2 sensor.

Hello SCOOBY DOO, Thanks for getting back to me. BLM's couldn't be any better. 127-128. All settings are within parameters, including fuel pressure. I have an electric "Auto Meter" gauge in the car. I also have a "wideband" O2 in the car. Scanmaster as well. I see what is going on as It's happening. The car runs great! It just leaves me smelling like exhaust! By the way, I checked for "exhaust leaks" under the car. There aren't any.

Dumping fuel into a converter isn't good for its longevity, and just installing a cat doesn't solve a poor tune or other issues. What does your O2 look like when idling? is it cycling up and down? You could have a worn out O2 sensor.
Hello Mr. T. The car is in perfect tune. The reason I suspect the "cat." being the issue is because I just had a similar situation with my other car. 1984 non-turbo 3.8. Apparently, the previous owner "gutted" the cat. I purchased a new one with "air tube" has air pump. 100% stock! No more "exhaust cologne" on my clothes.

Attachments

• WP_20191207_008.jpg
    WP_20191207_008.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 61