CAS v4 vs powerstroke

bttwracing86T

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE 6!
Will I see a difference... I also like setup because I have drop springs and drop spindles my v4 shroud caught a tire gator a few months back so not worrying about that as much if I do psic. I have no motor in car now and don't mind modifying the core support. Any advice this is a budget saver to

The Powerstroke is way better than any stock location IC as we have lots of data on this comparison.

I ran a PS in my race car for years, and it is now in my "street" car.

A local GN we built ran a 9.40 with a PS.

We do not cut the core support to install a PS.

The battery is relocated to the trunk so we can run the tubes through the openings behind the headlights as to PS outlets are modified 90 degrees to point outboard, and we use a 3" 90 deg silicone hose to go into the engine compartment.

Library - 1270.jpg
Library - 1271.jpg

Nick can you please post the data comparing a CAS V4 and a Precision SL? I was under the impression that they were nearly as good as front mounts, especially when spraying.

OK so I need to modify the outlet to go to the side then use 90* elbows and have a hose made. Anyone make hoses to do this other than walker exhaust pipe stuff. Will the intercooler pipes and hoses that are universal on eBay work

I found this pic of the unit out of the car which shows how we modified the original intercooler as I did not want to cut up the car.

The 3" pipes are actually from a Ford PS diesel truck, and only rather simple mods were made to use them on a Buick!

I used the PS on my race car for years before I stepped it up and replaced it with the RJC mega-intercooler. The data logs did show a slight decrease of air inlet temps over the PS at the end of a pass, but they were very close.

A friend had a Precision FMIC at the time when we were racing, and his inlet temps were higher by 30+ deg.

Another GN with a similar build had a V-4 stock location IC and he would run 50-70 degrees higher at almost a second slower, meaning much less HP.

One of my street cars with AC and the PS intercooler is a low 10 sec ride, and during the summer in 105 deg. weather the coolant temp runs at less than 200 deg. at highway speeds which is about the same as a GN with a large stock location IC.

The basic design of the PS is very efficient, and the large area will allow lots of airflow for good efficiency of the IC, and still lets the radiator get ample air for cooling as well.

PS Intercooler mods.jpg

Hey Nick, not to get off subject, and since you're discussing ic comparisons- didn't you do some testing with a Meese 24 row SLIC one time? how did it do? Thanks, Joe

Yes, we did comparison tests on various stretch SLIC including Meese, V-4, Mark Jackson, Precision and a couple custom built ones and all with a 3" outlet performed rather close.

From a cooling aspect the front always would outperform a stock location, but with moderate upgrades on a street car a good stock location unit will work well.

As the power level approaches 450 HP in a competition situation, the FM will do a better job as it does not heat soak like a SLIC, and can provide more consistent times during an event.

On a good day, my RJC unit will provide a lower air inlet temp at the finish line than at the start of a run!

Testing a stock GN at the track last week, inlet air was over 220 degrees at the end of a pass, mine was under 80 degrees, almost a 30 degree drop from the starting line. :)