Cars you wish you could have kept

hemi8

Goin Sideways
Looking at the outrageous prices the cars of my youth are pulling in I have to think really hard to remember how bad they were to drive everyday. Me and all my friends in HS had muscle cars and we worked on them, all the time. In our subdivision we had it all, Superbird, Roadrunner, GTO, SD455 Trans Am, SS Camaro, W-30 442 etc. None of them drove as nice as today's hot rods, today's cars are waaay better, but I like some of the old stuff.
68 GTO 4 spd. my first car (thanks pop). This is one I will seek in my retirement, I liked the way it drove, handling was good, engine was brutal, Love the Pontiac Big engines.
66 GTO, automatic. I liked this one as well, it was a real nice driver, I don't think I want another one though.
70 Chevelle SS 396, automatic. Looked really cool, black w/white stripes, didn't really drive as nice as the GTOs, 396 was not very powerful. Love the looks but would rather have a GTO.
73 Z28, 350 4spd, did not like this one at all, doors are too long and heavy, 350 engine not very powerful, handling not very good, was glad to get rid of it.
69 Dodge Coronet 440, this was my baby, built 440, 727, loved the car but it was too big, loved that 440, very fast.
(85 Mustang GT, 91 Mustang GT, 95 Z28) loved them all but would not want them again.
In the early 80s the used car lots around me were filled with muscle cars, you could buy anything you wanted for under 5k. Now they have the Hellcat, just unbelievable what you can buy, never would have believed over 700hp from the factory would be a reality.

Mike

Lockman

Appreciate and Admire other' s Knowledge
!969 El Camino SS 396 @ 375 HP , TH400 , QaudraJet, Kelley Green, Crager Magnesium wheels & completely Stock .
I'll add some others later, but this one I should have never let get away :cry:

TurboTGuy

Gray Beard Member
The 86 GN that was stolen out of my driveway whilst me buddy's GN was in my garage for upgrades...... That was '96. :cry:

My first car, a '65 Ford Fairlane 500, baby blue, 260 V8, 3 on the tree. Bought it for $600 from a Sun City in 1976 little old lady. It was pristine. Rolled it Thanksgiving night 1978.

A '70 Malibu SS, beautiful car, ran like a dream, then a palm tree ran right out in front of me...........

A 2001 Ford Ranger, loaded with every beeper and buzzer imaginable. Drove the snot out of that little truck. It miled out and my company got me a 2006 Accord. That was a nice car, too.

Lockman

Appreciate and Admire other' s Knowledge
Man, I recall that those Fairlane's were pretty hard to Roll ? Of Course, This from a Jeep guy's perspective ;)

TurboTGuy

Gray Beard Member
Man, I recall that those Fairlane's were pretty hard to Roll ? Of Course, This from a Jeep guy's perspective ;)

No, they were 2 door, short wheel based cars back then.

Flip off some old person for making a dumb move on a 45 degree curve, while a little drunk and a little high, and trying to go around them..... See just how straight your forward projection on that same curve remains, and, then...........you're in the dirt, over correcting............ Oh, shit!

Mine didn't have Crager's.

But I sure as shit told that old man what I was thinking........... OH shit!! Kathump, Kathump, Kathump!!!!!!!

1618021291944.png

Last edited:

TurboTGuy

Gray Beard Member
& then......... " What now, Batman ? " :oops:
A tow truck and a really cool cop happened........

The car. Totaled.

The tow truck driver, made his nut that night.

The cop, he had the dispatchers call her and let me go in my 17 year old girl friend's custody. I needed to get to the hospital. I was bleeding from my eye brow like a stuck pig. Had a couple broken ribs, too.

I was one lucky SOB just to be alive that night, no less not end up being in police custody.

Last edited:

KC87

No, they were 2 door, short wheel based cars back then.

Flip off some old person for making a dumb move on a 45 degree curve, while a little drunk and a little high, and trying to go around them..... See just how straight your forward projection on that same curve remains, and, then...........you're in the dirt, over correcting............ Oh, shit!

Mine didn't have Crager's.

But I sure as shit told that old man what I was thinking........... OH shit!! Kathump, Kathump, Kathump!!!!!!!

View attachment 364217

First thing I noticed was the galaxy roof. The 66-67 2 doors had real nice lines and set if SS wheels with some good tires really set it off. Let alone a strong running engine and 4 speed.

KC87

Looking at the outrageous prices the cars of my youth are pulling in I have to think really hard to remember how bad they were to drive everyday. Me and all my friends in HS had muscle cars and we worked on them, all the time. In our subdivision we had it all, Superbird, Roadrunner, GTO, SD455 Trans Am, SS Camaro, W-30 442 etc. None of them drove as nice as today's hot rods, today's cars are waaay better, but I like some of the old stuff.
68 GTO 4 spd. my first car (thanks pop). This is one I will seek in my retirement, I liked the way it drove, handling was good, engine was brutal, Love the Pontiac Big engines.
66 GTO, automatic. I liked this one as well, it was a real nice driver, I don't think I want another one though.
70 Chevelle SS 396, automatic. Looked really cool, black w/white stripes, didn't really drive as nice as the GTOs, 396 was not very powerful. Love the looks but would rather have a GTO.
73 Z28, 350 4spd, did not like this one at all, doors are too long and heavy, 350 engine not very powerful, handling not very good, was glad to get rid of it.
69 Dodge Coronet 440, this was my baby, built 440, 727, loved the car but it was too big, loved that 440, very fast.
(85 Mustang GT, 91 Mustang GT, 95 Z28) loved them all but would not want them again.
In the early 80s the used car lots around me were filled with muscle cars, you could buy anything you wanted for under 5k. Now they have the Hellcat, just unbelievable what you can buy, never would have believed over 700hp from the factory would be a reality.

Mike

Same here, first car I got when 15 was a 68 Goat. 360hp but rebuilt the engine with a better cam and few other things so who knows the actual hp but it sure ran like a scared cat. Super clean top and bottom. Would love to have that back, sold it for what I bought it for, $900, lol.

Grumpy

Thread killer
A little advise for the younin's here. We had a lot of the cool guy mid/late 60's cars. Was a blast. Now I do hallucinate some when I look threw auction sites. Then reality smacks me in the head. They ride like crap. Don't handle for crap. An they don't go for crap. Pretty to look at . Case in point.. What is the most fun car an fastest ? Cobra all alum 427 FE. 22/2300#s. Mazda a wimpy V6. 3000#s :unsure:
HVhu0wRl.jpg

V6sleeper

Not mine (but would have been) my fathers 1969 427 L88 4spd corvette 1 of 116 we sold it in 1983 for $5500 :rolleyes:
I still have nightmares

KC87

A little advise for the younin's here. We had a lot of the cool guy mid/late 60's cars. Was a blast. Now I do hallucinate some when I look threw auction sites. Then reality smacks me in the head. They ride like crap. Don't handle for crap. An they don't go for crap. Pretty to look at . Case in point.. What is the most fun car an fastest ? Cobra all alum 427 FE. 22/2300#s. Mazda a wimpy V6. 3000#s :unsure:
HVhu0wRl.jpg

I'd like to drive a 60s gto or chevelle that's been redone with today's fancy body and suspension bushings, a nice set of springs and a few other pieces along with the much better tires just to see how the handling would be. Not really much today that can replace that cool factor of the 60 muscle cars, they had real character.

TireFryer

Now I know how clouds are made...
I'd like to drive a 60s gto or chevelle that's been redone with today's fancy body and suspension bushings, a nice set of springs and a few other pieces along with the much better tires just to see how the handling would be. Not really much today that can replace that cool factor of the 60 muscle cars, they had real character.
Guy at the local body shop has a 66 Chevrolet that has all qa1 drag suspension on it on ET street radials, brand new paint job... 540 inch Big block Chevy, turbo 400 with gear vendors OD unit, runs on pump 93 with a 300 shot of laughing gas... runs 10.20’s NA... Something special about a car like that...

Sagecoach

Here's a couple cars that I sold and still keep me up at night. Almost ashamed to admit.

1962 Chevy Belair bubbletop 409 4 speed (6 cylinder transplant, as most of them are) . Insurance issues -think it was about $2200 a year back then. And I was going away to college and needed dependable transportation. $750 (not a misprint)

1962 XKE roadster. Was getting married (that still keeps me up at night also) and needed dependable transportation again and a car that my new wife could drive. Early 1970s insurance and gasoline crisis. Had low oil pressure at idle after warming up which scared off most buyers. $900 (again, not a misprint)

I have been trying to build a machine from 2x4 s, hinges, a rope and pully and a large boot to kick my ass every morning when I wake up.