Car sits to high?

ApullinV6

I just put a set of 275/60/R15's on my car and car looks like a 4x4. My friend has exact same set up and his car sits down really nice over the tire. What can cause these cars to sit so much differently? What can I do to get car down in rear end.

Car has new upper and lower tub. control arms, larger sway bar, and air bags. (removed air completely and car still sits up in rear)

I am kinda in the same boat. You will need to change the rear springs. But do some research before you buy.

I was just doing some research and I saw where RED and Geno were talking about cutting stock springs to lower rear of car. That's all I want to do, Is lower the rear down around 1".

Anybody done this?

My shocks are KYB to. didn't mention that earlier. That would be about the only difference between my car and my buddies. He has 50/50 drag shocks on the rear.

ApullinV6 said:
I just put a set of 275/60/R15's on my car and car looks like a 4x4. My friend has exact same set up and his car sits down really nice over the tire. What can cause these cars to sit so much differently? What can I do to get car down in rear end.

Car has new upper and lower tub. control arms, larger sway bar, and air bags. (removed air completely and car still sits up in rear)

Did you tighten down the new control arms when the suspension was hanging(e.g., did you snug everything up and then lower the car), or did you lower the car and then snug everything up (with the suspension under load - easiest on a lift)? If you did the first, then your suspension may be binding, especially if you have polyurethane bushings.

Well, I couldn't remember so I went under the car with the suspension fully loaded and loosened everything, including the sway bar. Put my weight on the rear bumper and jumped a few times and then re-tightened everything. No Difference in the height.. My car, from the ground to the fender lip is 28 1/2". My frriends car is 27" and let me tell ya. His car's profile looks a lot better.
I just got back in town tonight. First thing I did was go out there in the shop and do the above items. After that, I took the springs off to cut them, but can't get the nerve to do it. I'd like to drop my car down atleast a inch and possibly 1 1/2". How much would I need to take out of the spring??

Why don't you buy a pair of lowering springs? I think Eibach makes them to drop the rear around 1 inch. Check out the summit catalog...or any of the vendors here. This way, you don't have to cut yours.

ApullinV6 said:
Well, I couldn't remember so I went under the car with the suspension fully loaded and loosened everything, including the sway bar. Put my weight on the rear bumper and jumped a few times and then re-tightened everything. No Difference in the height.. My car, from the ground to the fender lip is 28 1/2". My frriends car is 27" and let me tell ya. His car's profile looks a lot better.
I just got back in town tonight. First thing I did was go out there in the shop and do the above items. After that, I took the springs off to cut them, but can't get the nerve to do it. I'd like to drop my car down atleast a inch and possibly 1 1/2". How much would I need to take out of the spring??

I know the front spings can be trimmed as they just fit into the spring perch and do not need to be clocked (set in a certain direction). However, the back springs set in the perch in a certain direction (need to be clocked)/manner, so if you cut them, they may not fit in right. I would find out for sure (before you start cutting), or better yet, buy some Moog 5413 springs which should drop you about an inch.

More information is needed to make a correct decision here.
Was your car always setting too high?
Did it set too high only after the tires were installed?
Did it set too high only after the Control arms & sway bar were installed?
What equipment is your friend running? springs? shocks?
Body bushings replaced/installed? Poly body bushings or factory rubber? How about your friends?
I would first find out why your car sits higher than your friends and why your car sits so high before installing new springs, although you probably need new springs anyway? There are lots companies selling lowering springs & spring sets and going this route would be much better than cutting yours.
Doing a search will also bring some results.

Both cars have stock springs, his car has about 65-70k more miles on it. His car has stock boxed in control arms with stock sway bar. My car has umi control arms and larger sway bar. His has drag shocks and my car has kyb shocks, soon to be changed. His car sits at 27" and my cars at 28 1/2".

My next door neighbor races the stockers class in the NHRA and just so happens to build a lot of camaros. I'm going to get a set of springs from him and see if those springs make a difference. If car doesn't come down, then I'll cut those springs to make car sit the way I want. I did a search and seems that a lot of people have done this..

My guess would be that his stock springs have sagged considerably more than yours, and/or that the drag shocks that he is running compared to your KYB shocks could have a sizeable difference in height.
My 19K mile turboBuick with most suspension components replaced sits at 27" to maybe 27 1/8" front and rear both, side to side even. HTH.

Went down to my neighbors car lot today got two different sets of springs today. Both out of camaros, one being a aftermarket spring (pink in color) and the other set, fact.

Put fact. set in the car today and car came down to 27 1/2" on drivers side and 27 1/4" on passenger side. Thinking about putting the pink springs in just to see what they do. They feel alittle softer, easier to compress anyway.

Anybody have a clue what brand, kind these springs may be. Pink in color and came out of a camaro??

Car looks a lot better now, tire looks really fat now sitting under car. :D

Pink/Purple in color and aftermarket?! Thats probably Intrax...those will SLAM it....like 2" ...maybe more.
I recommend Susp Tech 1" or Eibach pro kit.....why not do all 4? The fronts are most likely sagged to a 1" drop after 20 years....atleast get a better spring rate and handling qulity to boot!