Car lugging

joegngs

don't know if it's the correct wording and I've look through all the posts in this section. Took my 4400 mile GN ot the other day,after driving on the highway for about 30 miles then going stop and go through town at lights and stop signs the trans feels like it's lugging and sometimes sounds like the drive shaft klanging.The car has always shifted fine but hard.Also I have caspers chip installed.Never had the trans serviced and at this point am hesitant to open it up.Ive read all about this TV cable but never touched it. Fluid is fine also. Any ideas ?

Didn’t want to drop the pan after all these years. Been getting different feedback as far as repercussions from that

Didn’t want to drop the pan after all these years. Been getting different feedback as far as repercussions from that
What repercussions? Unplug the electrical connector on the left side of the transmission when it is cold. Take the car out for a drive and see if you still have the problem. If the problem is gone the problem is a sticking TCC solenoid. Replace it. It's easy to do. Just make sure you have a large pan under the transmission to catch all the fluid in case you don't have a drain plug.

Pretty sure the converter won't lock in first gear regardless of lock up solenoid condition. So if it lugs in first gear (which sounds like it does?), it's not the lockup circuit.

Last edited:
Pretty sure the converter won't lock in first gear regardless of lock up solenoid condition. So if it lugs in first gear (which sounds like it does?), it's not the lockup circuit.
The transmission doesn't downshift into first until the car is almost stopped. This will load the motor down to almost stalling. The OP noted it was "lugging" in stop and go traffic. This is a classic case of a locked TCC solenoid or something going on in the lockup circuit.

The transmission doesn't downshift into first until the car is almost stopped. This will load the motor down to almost stalling. The OP noted it was "lugging" in stop and go traffic. This is a classic case of a locked TCC solenoid or something going on in the lockup circuit.
Agreed.

Many years ago my TCC was staying locked all the way into first and before it let go. The car would chug and almost stall. The solenoid wasn't powered it was just stuck from being powered in 3rd and 4th. Replaced the solenoid, problem gone.

Thanks for all the help fellas, changed out the solenoid today and it definatly was the problem. Used the atp filter and gasket kit that worked out real well. Lost about 4.5 quarts then replaced with Dextron vi. Car still shifts nice and firm. No more lugging when coming to a stop. Joe