car keeps eating turbos

ok the oil filter was cut open and checked out and there was no metal at all found!! i feel relieved. but joey to answer your question i don't have pics of it when it messed up really bad. this last time it messed up instead of putting a new wheel in i believe they just repaired it because it wasn't major. i will check it out and see about getting pics up. it didn't look melted it look like something just blew through it and chipped pieces of the turbine.

ok the oil filter was cut open and checked out and there was no metal at all found!! i feel relieved. but joey to answer your question i don't have pics of it when it messed up really bad. this last time it messed up instead of putting a new wheel in i believe they just repaired it because it wasn't major. i will check it out and see about getting pics up. it didn't look melted it look like something just blew through it and chipped pieces of the turbine.

they look like that when they melt.

did it look anything like this
turbine.png

kinda did look like that. from what i remember it wasn't every single blade messed up it was only a few. that's def something ill look into when i get it back together. there is a scan master on the car..does that throw a code if its running lean? how else would i check without having an afr guage?

Get a wide band...for a few hundred, its worth the investement....but for only running a little bit, it had to get hot fast.....like ignition timing way off fast or something of that matter..or maybe fuel burning in the exhaust....have a heat gun handy and see what kid of temps you are getting....ive seen cherry red exhausts that people never noticed in daylight. That kind of stuff will do it.

thanks for all the advise! i will get the wideband! i think the car was running really rich. there was like black soot covered on everything inside the manifolds and exhaust after only running a short time. would that also cause this? what should i look for to fix that?

There is no way he's melting turbines. The turbine is a tungsten alloy. If he's melting turbines his exhaust valves are all shot. If the turbine has blade damage debris is going through it.

been a while but finally back at it. car is gonna be put together sometime in the next couple weeks. have to buy head gasket, and afr guage. Never did find a problem with anything while it was apart?? as far as oil pressure goes...im pretty sure that guage was acting funny, think it did it once before. im going to put a new gauge on it to verify this time. from what i remember the car was running super rich. i have the TT alky chip. when i selected the chip i put max boost as 28(being when i take it down the track) is this chip still ok to drive on the street at say 14 #'s or do i need to order a street chip.

How was the turbine hitting the housing if there was no thrust bearing failure?

i have no clue. the last time i sent it to precision i was told something went through the exhaust and messed up the turbine wheel. i thought the whole time that the bearing was going bad and causing the wobble. only because i heard the nasty noise of the wheel hitting the housing. its been a while but im pretty sure that they said the bearing wasn't in that bad of shape but they replaced it anyways. if the turbine wheel was messed up and wasnt balanced anymore that couldn't cause enough wobble to hit the housing if the bearing is still good. i'm lost if i bump the starter and it throws a bunch of oil from the turbo line. i dont know how the bearing could have failed either? i took the whole thing apart and saw nothing wrong so no explanation to what was going through the exhaust either.

Someone mentioned trash in the exh....Have those headers been welded on?? If so, there could well be sugar pellets coming from the inside of the welds...Those WILL total that turbo, in a flash............

there is no evidence of the problem...could have been one of many things. i guess im gonna double check everything and clean everything before i put it together and cross my fingers. i don't know what else to do

Just a guess, header gasket material?

check the ignition timing.If for some reason is retard you are
blowing unburn fuel thru the headers. Also check the inteke
air filter,intercooler maybe is sucking debri from somewhere.

Timing is controted by the computer chip unless he has changed it I doubt that has any thing to do with it. debri has had to gone threw it something has had to hit the blades unless the bearing was shot and it was wobbling enough to hit the housing if the debri was in the oil I would have thought you would have seen evidence in the main and rod bearings I still thing it was something blew out the exhaust. I doubt the oil could have got past the seal unless the debri in the oil trashed the bearing caused extra clearence it the shaft thus hitting the housing with the blades I don't think that would happen in 30 seconds

hmm header gasket material.. that is something i have not checked and thats very good possibility. i think i still have the old gaskets. ill take a look at them. i have the TT alky chip with whatever settings came on it. for as rich as it was running i would say it had to be blowing unburnt fuel through the exhaust

if the turbine wheel was messed up and wasnt balanced anymore that couldn't cause enough wobble to hit the housing if the bearing is still good. i'm lost if i bump the starter and it throws a bunch of oil from the turbo line. i dont know how the bearing could have failed either?
Yes and something was definitely going through your exhaust.

yes i replaced cam
When you replaced the cam did you do a proper break in? What cam break in procedure did you use?
Did you add fuel ( a bunch of fuel ) to it when you did the break in since that part of the chip is really lean?
Were your headers glowing during break in?
Have you looked at your your exhaust guides, you wouldn't be the first guy to have them go through the turbo.