Car Craft Real Street Eliminator (RSE) Contest Winner!!

Hot Air

E85 and S.E./Carolinas Moderator
Staff member
Dan Howe put hurting on late model cars at this years RSE competition (Car Craft Magazine January 2014 issue).
I don't know if Dan is on our site but congrats anyway. He drives an 84 Monte Carlo with Schwartz chassis and a mild 383 LS1. He won the autocross and launch box competition for his class (Late Model) but came in 7th in dyno at only 388 HP. He needs to put a Buick V6 w/turbo next year! He has the overall quickest time in launch box and overall 2nd quickest autocross time! We need to help you with the HP thing. Way to go Dan!!
Conrad

with a 12k$ chassis i hope hes placing well . its an awesome setup though for sure . Conrad,have you ever thought about going that route? i would if i had the $$.. do it! that would be sick!

Too rich for my blood! But, I'm glad someone has gone that route. He obviously needs more HP!
Conrad

Top horsepower was a GNX! Nearly 1,000hp. Hope they do a feature on that car.

That lack of HP will hurt him on a road course against those other guys! What hurts us on any Auto-x is our little v6 power plant! If you put Howe's engine into my car I would guarantee I could match his times! Yes the Schwartz chassis is MUCH better vs Stock "BUT' is it much better than say mine or Conrad's? I would be willing to bet it will not be noticeable on any Auto-x or the street that's for sure... I was really hoping Howe would have made it to this years RTTH event but he didn't show, I wanted to see how close the cars were....

I am curious, what do you think hurts us with the v6? Is it overall power, torque curve, turbo lag, etc?
Instant Torque! We just dont have it coming out of the tight autocross corners. We have it once the turbo comes in but until then its just the torque of a little v6 VS the others with 500- 700+HP V8's and T56 trans...

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

How do you think a 274" stage motor with a smaller bb turbo would do in this situation ? Should have near instant spool and a lot more torque down low.
I would think this would work well but what's your opinion ?

How do you think a 274" stage motor with a smaller bb turbo would do in this situation ? Should have near instant spool and a lot more torque down low.
I would think this would work well but what's your opinion ?

Not sure if a stage engine would even matter at that point..... We have done testing with my turbo and Brian (Bison) took my little TE 44 and put a stock Garrett exhaust housing on it to help spool it, I have a 3000 stall non lock up converter too and this thing spools instantly but the V8 guys are still killing me out of the tight turns...Straight aways are a different story! :D

Are you letting off the gas pedal in the turns? Just keep the gas pedal down all the time then you are at max power. :p

Scott are you manually shifting your trans? I would think if you could keep the revs up you would be able to come out of the turns with boost. Would a blow off valve help here? I mean it would seem the key with the turbo car is to keep the rpms up and keep the turbo spinning. A blow off valve would release some boost but not jam the pressurized air back through the compressor wheel which actually stops the wheel from spinning. Releasing the boost and or recirculating it might help keep the compressor wheel speed up allowing quicker response out of the turn. Idk just thinking out loud here.

And as far as the bigger motor goes,I think a bigger bore stroker 4.1 would have to have some advantage over a 3.8. More torque in the lower rpm range and more exhaust flow to build boost quicker. I mean think of a 274" spinning a 66 or 67 bb turbo. It should give you not only instant boost but your making more power with the bigger motor. I'm sure it would take a matched converter but you could possibly get away with a slightly tighter converter too.

Scott are you manually shifting your trans? I would think if you could keep the revs up you would be able to come out of the turns with boost. Would a blow off valve help here? I mean it would seem the key with the turbo car is to keep the rpms up and keep the turbo spinning. A blow off valve would release some boost but not jam the pressurized air back through the compressor wheel which actually stops the wheel from spinning. Releasing the boost and or recirculating it might help keep the compressor wheel speed up allowing quicker response out of the turn. Idk just thinking out loud here.

It's actually a good idea to use a BOV in this case Joel. The catch is that you need the outlet to go back into the inlet of the turbo, not just the atmosphere. While most of the members scoff at using one they do have advantages and will help, not only to keep the turbo moving, but to keep the pressure up so the lag is cut down slightly.

More food for thought maybe a 3:73 gear swap. It's not like the top end speeds are really that high.