Can't Compete with This

lithium.jpeg

I was driving a 2016 Hyundai Veloster Turbo on my daily commute. It’s a decent round trip every day, +$12 in gas. The new Bolt EUV does it for less than $3/day. That’s what I’m talkin’ bout. Plus it was cheap to buy and is just as zippy as the turbo was. Won’t be going on any road-trips with it but works great as a daily!

WOW! Chuck and I agree on something!
OK, enough of the snarkiness, and apologies to Chuck!
One of the biggest problem in the world today is engineers continously justifying their existence by re-engineering EVERYTHING every few years to justify their own existences and the bean counters too.
They, as a group just don't understand the idea of "economy of scale" as did their previous counterparts. Defined, it means that the longer we can use an existing item and make more of them, the less the engineering, tooling, stocking, and advertising, costs per item become. Not to mention less area for retailers to have to warehouse all of this odd ball crap!
Look at the common "screw in" home light bulb, it is still using the "Edison base," you guessed it, it was designed by Thomas Edison! It still works, it does what it was designed to do (back in the 1800s!), it is universal, and has survived iterations in: incandescant (as it was designed for), CFL, and modern LED bulbs. Look at the wall plug/ socket design, same one for about 80+ YEARS!
Cars from the 1950s up until the designers had to justify their existence in the 90s, made do with 1157, 1034, and 1156, tail, turn signal, and stop lights. The engineering, tooling, retail and wholesale stocking and distribution chains were well established, but, go into a parts store now, how many ways do we have to make a freaking light bulb to do the same job?
Small block chebbies, designed in 1953-4 used the same rocker cover (one small change, but, a new dual pattern bolt location in 1958), intake manifold, exhaust manifold, distributor, water neck, timing cover, and oil pan gaskets (and even when they switched dipstick locations to the other side, due to clever engineering, allowed the continous use of the same gasket!).
Almost all of the same size and length fasteners were in continous use too!
Now look at A/C, D/C charger adaptors, no standardization! Variations in voltages, AC, or DC, pin sizes, spacing, and polarization lugs. Co axial types not only use about 6 diameters, but differing + - polarization schemes as to whether the inside or outside is positive or negative! I have a box of about 50 of these adapters, I can't bring myself to toss/ recycle (not enough of one material to make that practical) any of them because just maybe I may need one out of that box!
Now, get into my latest project, 1987 Turbo V-6. It contains metric and American fasteners, fine and coarse threads in about 30 variations!
We did an injector replacement a few years back on a 90s Toyota pickup truck.
I called my local parts wholesaler, they said:"dealer only." Dealer said "we got 'em." When my runner got there, I was informed that they used about 14 different injectors in THAT YEAR/MODEL truck! ALL DIFFERENT IN: 2 pin, 3 pin, rectangle, round, D shaped, or square plugs, some also identified by plug color too! NONE INTERCHANGABLE! Of course we had to pay up front, and go back to pick them up in about a week!
This shit really started when Richard Nixon, in a short sighted attempt to keep Werner Von Braun and his German team of captured and defected to the U.S. team of rocket scientists happy by working with the common to them metric system. It was soon figured out the tool companies could force us to buy complete new tool sets to make millions off us! So, soon after, other marketers decided that nothing should be standardized any more, and manufacturers could get richer.
This rant has gone on too long, but you get the picture!
TIMINATOR

We used to have 2 or 4 headlite systems, in round and later rectangle shapes, NOW look at what you have!
Have you needed windshield wipers lately? About 12 lengths and a half dozen "throw them away because we don't need them" adapters included! How many dinosaurs needed to die and rot to make millions of adapters that we throw away!
The "can do" society of the 40s and 50s, has been replaced by an "it doesn't fit, we don't stock that" FUBAR!
TIMINATOR

Emperer Timm executive orders:
Stop all foreign aid!
Build the wall.
Right to work law in all states.
No political contributions by any buisness, only individuals.
No one may make any political contribution to any campaign in another state, city, or county. F--k George soros!
TWO Term limits on all elected offices!
No plea bargains! You are charged with and prosecuted for every crime committed and found guilty of.
No mail in ballots. Except military personally stationed in other countries.
Official English in all signs, documents, and official business. No interpreters or free lawyers for non citizens.
No federally funded NASA probes, or telescopes, spend the federal cash solving problems on Earth!
More to come...
TIMINATOR

Emperer Timm executive orders:
Stop all foreign aid!
Build the wall.
Right to work law in all states.
No political contributions by any buisness, only individuals.
No one may make any political contribution to any campaign in another state, city, or county. F--k George soros!
TWO Term limits on all elected offices!
No plea bargains! You are charged with and prosecuted for every crime committed and found guilty of.
No mail in ballots. Except military personally stationed in other countries.
Official English in all signs, documents, and official business. No interpreters or free lawyers for non citizens.
No federally funded NASA probes, or telescopes, spend the federal cash solving problems on Earth!
More to come...
TIMINATOR
You should run for mayor of Phoenix.

It's a start!

The stupid cunt in charge now is so out of her league.

Same with the new Governor.....but all of the new libbies that moved here from Cali love her......

They are just bringing their failed policies over here with them...... Fucktards.

Last edited:
All political candidates must be natural born American citizens.
End birthright citizenship. NO baby will be an American citizen unless it is born to two American citizens.
Congress is no longer allowed to pass any law giving themselves a raise of any type of increased compensation.
The congressional full payment retirement package is hearby rescinded.
Their full medical insurance package is rescinded, and they must pay for their own insurance.
American import duties from foreign countries will be matched to the import duties charged to American goods.
No one except an American citizen or wholly owned American company may buy, or own any real estate in America.
Welfare will be only paid for one calendar year in every ten year period.
No social security cuts will ever be allowed, since it is entirely funded by its recipients.
All governments, city, state, or federal are required to have balanced budgets.
All sponsored congressional, state or local bill/laws must deal with only one issue, NO COMBINED OR OMNIBUS BILLS OF ANY NATURE.
ALL proposed legislation must have a 90 day comment period published publicly before any hearings of passage is allowed.
No state may pass any gun control nor vehicle smog control laws without congressional approval.
A federal driver's license, with an equal set of qualifications for all 50 states shall be implemented. No licenses will be issued to non American citizens.
No bank accounts of any type will be allowed except to American citizens.
Any foreign national working in America that seeks to send any quantity of funds exceeding $100.00 outside of the U.S. in any calendar year will have a non refundable charge of 20% withheld to the IRS.
No foreign national will be allowed to live in a foreign country and work in America without a mandatory 20% tax remitted to the IRS.
This is a good start.....
In the immortal words of an ex Chicago Mayor: vote early, vote often, but vote for me!
TIMINATOR

engineers continously justifying their existence by re-engineering EVERYTHING every few years to justify their own existences
You use that engineer term in a very liberal fashion :p

I was driving a 2016 Hyundai Veloster Turbo on my daily commute. It’s a decent round trip every day, +$12 in gas. The new Bolt EUV does it for less than $3/day. That’s what I’m talkin’ bout. Plus it was cheap to buy and is just as zippy as the turbo was. Won’t be going on any road-trips with it but works great as a daily!
I think generally an EV requires much less maintenance, problem that has been pointed out is the battery size, life, and reliability, otherwise could be best lifecycle cost. Electricity may not be as cheap in the future, the politicians are destroying the whole thing. If we stay on the current trajectory, electricity will be very expensive in the future. When the Texas grid nearly collapsed a few years ago in the cold snap they had, the electricity bills for some approached $1000 for that month, not sure if something was worked out on paying those. Europe is facing the same crap, due to natural gas supply and the mix of renewables they created. Coal is fairly cheap, nuclear could be abundant and cost effective, but that is not the route the politicians will let things go.

I think generally an EV requires much less maintenance, problem that has been pointed out is the battery size, life, and reliability, otherwise could be best lifecycle cost. Electricity may not be as cheap in the future, the politicians are destroying the whole thing. If we stay on the current trajectory, electricity will be very expensive in the future. When the Texas grid nearly collapsed a few years ago in the cold snap they had, the electricity bills for some approached $1000 for that month, not sure if something was worked out on paying those. Europe is facing the same crap, due to natural gas supply and the mix of renewables they created. Coal is fairly cheap, nuclear could be abundant and cost effective, but that is not the route the politicians will let things go.
The thing that worries me is the battery going dead. Not sure what to expect..... Will it last 300K miles? Great! Will it only go 150K? Don't want to be the owner when that happens..... Currently a new battery is $16K-$18K, making the Bolt a "throw away" car. But maybe that will change in a few years who knows. Aftermarket parts and battery service companies may pop up over time. One thing that feels great is ignoring the gas prices and not sending my $$ to saudi arabia. (Except for the 6 other gas and E85 powered turds laying around here)
Gonna give it a try and see how it goes. If gas comes back down I'll go back. The bolt is kind of an exception, it's one of the only cheap EV's out there right now even without a tax credit. The credit just makes it really really cheap.

Scoob , see all the electric earth moving equipment they are using !!
I spent a lot of my career with that equipment.
The rear dump trucks are most likely diesel/electric powered.
Once the capacity gets close to 100 tons, mechanical drive is too expensive.
So, here comes the locomotive power system.
Very large diesel engine with an elaborate electric gen/control system on it.
Wheel motors by GE, etc.
When I retired, we were up to about 200 ton capacity. LOTS of diesel fuel is still necessary.

During harvest here in central Il. we leave the combine(JD S780) in the field over night to get an early start.
It requires around 250 gl.of diesel to fill after a regular days run, some times more.
We have fuel/support trailer to facilitate this process,usually takes around 15 minutes to do this.
I have no idea how big a battery would be needed to match that "energy density"but I doubt it could be charged in 15 mins.