Canadian car purchase

RossGN

Considering buying an Ebay car from Canada. Any potential problems other than standard risks of buying a car off Ebay? Is there a lot of paperwork required?

Thanks

Where in Canada?? Not that hard to bring one from U.S. to Canada but not sure about the other way around. For me to bring a car from the US to here I had to have some paper work sent to the border crossing I was going to go through 72 hrs. in advance, it was pretty straight forward.

It's not that bad if you plan on meeting the car at point of entry. Find out what paperwork your state requires, US Customs will take care of the rest. It took about an hour. I called ahead to the point of entry and let them know what I was wanting to do, and it was simple and straight forward. Mine may have been a bit easier as it was a US car to begin with.

easiest way to do it is to have the canadian owner drive the car past the border for you, then complete the transaction on the US side.

if you try to ship or if you try to drive it yourself they will give you a full rectal examination, and if anything is missing, even something small like the door jamb sticker then it won't go.

Copy and paste from another post I made on the subject...

Went through this last year. Meeting the seller State side is the easiest, however that is not always practicable. I live on an island so I went with one company that handled the brokerage and transporting. They took care of all the required paperwork. I did have to pay a border fee of 1% of the purchase price. You should also look into what is needed to get it registered as it can differ State to State. Here is what I needed to get it registered in my State:

1. Copy of 'Personal Property Registry Search Results Report' to prove there are no liens recorded on the vehicle
2. Copy of Vehicle Registration Certificate (in Canada)
4. Bill of sale
5. Bill of Lading
6. Insurance

There are a few extra steps involved but the process is not that bad especially if you live in the lower 48. In my case the car needed to be shipped across the ocean and there were not many companies that could handle the logistics and paperwork as one package. I literally spoke to nearly a dozen companies before I found one that said they were willing to take the job but that's another story. Lol.