Can I pass Mass emissions w/o cat?

j-lantern

Car has stock injectors, turbo, IC, and 170k. Gutted cat, 160 stat, aftermarket duals (not sure whose) and Joe Lubrant street chip. I don't have any of the parts to go back to stock. Can I pass, and if so what do I need to do? If not, what is the absolute minimum I can do to get her to pass?

Thanks for any help

i tried passing yesterday with my hollowed out cat and extender chip that doesn't even use EGR...guess what...I FAILED!:D

Originally posted by j-lantern
Car has stock injectors, turbo, IC, and 170k. Gutted cat, 160 stat, aftermarket duals (not sure whose) and Joe Lubrant street chip. I don't have any of the parts to go back to stock. Can I pass, and if so what do I need to do? If not, what is the absolute minimum I can do to get her to pass?

Thanks for any help

I would borrow a cat from someone. I don't think you will pass the NOx without it. The 160 t-stat affects the emissions as well but with a cat I can make it through without changing the 160 t-stat.

As has already been said, you can get pretty close without a cat, but NOX will more than likely get you. FWIW, I added a Champion ported intake this year without an EGR port and I still was able to pass with a CAT and a Casper's street chip.

kinda funny because i ran a hollowed cat yesterday and an extender chip which eliminates EGR and i pass the NOx numbers...i registered 2.84 GPM and the standard is 3.00 GPM

???:confused: :confused: :confused:

Originally posted by d0n_3d
kinda funny because i ran a hollowed cat yesterday and an extender chip which eliminates EGR and i pass the NOx numbers...i registered 2.84 GPM and the standard is 3.00 GPM

???:confused: :confused: :confused:

I don't remember what the limit is in Mass, maybe that number you are allowed is higher than what we are allowed. They are pretty strict here and get stricter each time they tweak the test limits.

Originally posted by Night Train
As has already been said, you can get pretty close without a cat, but NOX will more than likely get you. FWIW, I added a Champion ported intake this year without an EGR port and I still was able to pass with a CAT and a Casper's street chip.

What part of Mass are you from? I am from the Worcester area.

I just tried to pass City of Memphis (TN) emmisions without a cat and failed both Hydrocarbons and Carbon Monoxide. I also run a Joe Lubrandt street chip but have 009 injectors. The car passed with the cat installed. Here are some numbers:

Hydrocarbons (HC):
Standard: 220.00 ppm
Vehicle Results: 362.48 ppm (no cat) FAILED
Vehicle Results: 196.23 ppm (with cat) PASSED

Carbon Monoxide (CO):
Standard: 1.2 %
Vehicle Results: 1.41 % (no cat) FAILED
Vehicle Results: 0.28 % (with cat) PASSED

Conditions were identical. No other changes were made except swapping downpipes and installing the cat.

Matt

You may fail without a cat. If your going try it without a cat I would at least do the engine top cleaner procedure to get rid of the carbon buildup. Of course you would have a better chance of passing with a cat and an emissions chip.

I have an emissions chip for stock injectors I could sell cheap. ;)

Dannyo

I thought NOx was mostly a function of the EGR valve and the cat was mosty HCs and such. I have pased with everythign in good working order and no cat 3 times in Houston so far. This past year I failed on the roller dyno because I found out that when I had the heads fully ported, the EGR hole was welded shut and then redrilled , but the head was put on the wrong side so I had no EGR and all I failed was NOx but just barely

Originally posted by JDSfastGN
I thought NOx was mostly a function of the EGR valve and the cat was mosty HCs and such.

The three-way- cat is use to control NOx and HC and CO. The reduction bed of the cat removes and saves O2 (the substrate is coated with material that attacts O2). In the reduction process, the combustion is suppressed and the temp reductions are used to control NOx. Pass the reduction bed is the oxidation bed, and the O2 is released to promote combustion. In the oxidation process, HC and CO is combined with O2 to created CO2 and H2O, the byproducts of perfect combustion.

Originally posted by Night Train
I'm in Whitinsville/Northbridge

If you live in an area that dyno test emissions using I/M240, it will be somewhat difficult to pass with a marginal cat, let alone no cat at all. Jus' my humble opinion.

Originally posted by gofstbuick
If you live in an area that dyno test emissions using I/M240, it will be somewhat difficult to pass with a marginal cat, let alone no cat at all. Jus' my humble opinion.

Yeah it is I/M240 statewide.

Originally posted by JDSfastGN
I thought NOx was mostly a function of the EGR valve and the cat was mosty HCs and such. I have pased with everythign in good working order and no cat 3 times in Houston so far. This past year I failed on the roller dyno because I found out that when I had the heads fully ported, the EGR hole was welded shut and then redrilled , but the head was put on the wrong side so I had no EGR and all I failed was NOx but just barely

You got me thinking. I rebuilt my engine. Since then the EGR passages have been plugged. I thought the felpro gasket didn't have provisions for EGR and that is why the passages are plugged. But are you saying that on the factory heads, only one is drilled for EGR. I don't think I mixed them up during reassembly. But I'm just wondering:confused: