Can I beat him?

BOP4ever

Maybe wrong place but anyway...
My friend at work just purchased a 03 mustang gt .. I rode in it he never got on it but it has cold air k&n and a loud exhaust which sounds pretty good. I don't know if it's got any other mods.
Car felt pretty torquey compared to mine just cruising around then his is a manual. I know it's s matter of time before we end up side by side at a light... I drove my GN last night and it is running good just feels softer but does shove you back at 22-23 psi.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I feel you always have a chance against a stick car no matter how power they are making.

Scenario 1 - he's faster but blows the tires off due to inexperience.

Scenario 2 - your car is faster but doesn't feel that way because its a smooth automatic, heavy, suspension wise non responsive, quiter..etc.
Its a mental game as well...you are posting the question on a forum.

Thinking about getting some 275/50/15 nitto drag radials in case it happens from a dig instead of on the roll. Just for added insurance .

I have had quite a few mustangs. But when I bought my Buick GN new in 87 ( my first one ) I had a Kenne Bell chip, slicks, test pipe, and a open dump. I laid wast to many , many Mustangs back then. Only recall one loss. Mine went 12.98 a 12.99 and a 13.01 on one cool day in 88. FF to now, I still have a 88 LX Vert Mustang 5.0 ( slow ) and my son has 2000 GT , pretty much stock and its a auto. I know my latest fairly stock GN will embarass it . So unless he has done quite a bit to that mod Motor in that Mustang , you should not have much to worry about. Now if its a Cobra with a super charger, different story....

I just read in a mustang magazine a story where a guy had this 2000 gt and turned a best if 14.0 with a little work . I ran a 13.8 according to my iPhone app with the stock turbo, so I should be able to hang with him.

Of course he swapped in a 2012 5.0 crate motor coyote and ran 11.0 at 125 in that story too !!!!

Last edited:
If you have drag radials you will beat him badly. especially running 22 psi. In my opinion the real question is how many
car lengths can you put on him:D

A cold air kit and exhaust in a 03 GT is not gonna beat your GN if that is truly all he has done to it....Set the boost to 20lbs or better build some boost on line and peddle it out if you have to...A TE-44 will spool quick ,so long as you don't get to excited and send it sideways off the line and have to let off you have em covered!! Hell you probably could still reel him in if that happened!! A buddy of mine has a set up similiar to yours and went bottom 12's with a crappy 60ft and no tuning!!

my stock turbo,intercooler, motor Ttype went mid to low 12's @ 111 mph. My stepson's 02 mustang with exhaust, intake, tune, and 410 gears ran 13.50 at 101. Both
cars had drag radials. That's why I think you should beat him badly. You should definitely get drag radials for your car.

Maybe wrong place but anyway...
My friend at work just purchased a 03 mustang gt .. I rode in it he never got on it but it has cold air k&n and a loud exhaust which sounds pretty good. I don't know if it's got any other mods.
Car felt pretty torquey compared to mine just cruising around then his is a manual. I know it's s matter of time before we end up side by side at a light... I drove my GN last night and it is running good just feels softer but does shove you back at 22-23 psi.

Not much on the street can hang with a PROPERLY tuned te44 car with traction from a dig when running 25psi+. The stockish GT won't stand a chance if your car is right

He'll be busy trying to get it to hook and go through the gears. You'll just keep pulling away. After you race him, send him this picture of what the front of a GN looks like, as he will know what the back end looks like. :D

Let us know how it goes.
Happy Spooling.

Mike Barnard

Hmm just my opinion but for a fairly stock gt your gonna probably need around 28- 30 plus psi respectively. Get a minimum of 116 octane race gas. Your gonna also need a 15 psi launch if at the track. If on the street your gonna somehow need 18 psi off the foot rake if possible. This will give you a good race with your supporting mods. I predict you can edge him out by a fender considering those gt's ran well into the low 15s if not high 14s.

Hmm just my opinion but for a fairly stock gt your gonna probably need around 28- 30 plus psi respectively. Get a minimum of 116 octane race gas. Your gonna also need a 15 psi launch if at the track. If on the street your gonna somehow need 18 psi off the foot rake if possible. This will give you a good race with your supporting mods. I predict you can edge him out by a fender considering those gt's ran well into the low 15s if not high 14s.

Ha ha...good one! :D