Can AVC GNX Style Cluster work with a one piece speedometer cable?

MCF87GN

I have a 1987 GN with the AVC GNX style cluster and my speedo gauge is bouncing. I am looking for the top speedometer cable with no luck as everything seems to be one piece now.

I have two questions:
Will the AVC gauge cluster work with the one piece cable? I am unsure of where the vehicle speed sensor would get its reading - is there a mod that can be done?

Does anyone know of a source for the upper speedo cable, that is the portion of the cable that connects directly to the speedometer?

Thanks in advance for any help that can be offered.

Darren

I recently had the same problem. I have the 2 piece speedometer cable but couldn't find the short piece that connects the speedometer to the VSS in the engine bay.
Here is the cable I finally found that works perfect: http://m.ebay.com/itm/SPEEDOMETER-C...%3A8db18fad15b0ab4d707e8f80ffffb8a3%7Ciid%3A1

I also ended up replacing the VSS because one of the wires broke right at the sensor. It was difficult finding a 2 pulse sensor but I finally found one that worked. Here is where I bought it:
http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/SpeedSensors_Speedometer.html

It's part number 2PRS

This is helpful. Will the cable you referenced work with the stock VSS as well?

Thank you!

???? stock vss is part of the stock dashboard speedometer
the avc uses a vdo 2 pulse vss signal generator inline on the speedo cable and that signal gets wired into to the OE vss buffer under the dash
with the short cable the vdo vss sender installs inline under the hood , you could use a one piece speedo cable but you would have to order the right length from ebay auction and install the vdo vss sender at the transmission

Unfortunately, when i bought my car it already had the AVC dash installed so i wasnt aware it was part of the original speedometer. The VDO 2 pulse VSS that was under the hood was damaged and not sending any info. The only replacement i could find was the one i linked above. I believe that there are conversion kits to be able to use more commonly available VSS signal generators. That is just what worked for me.

???? stock vss is part of the stock dashboard speedometer
the avc uses a vdo 2 pulse vss signal generator inline on the speedo cable and that signal gets wired into to the OE vss buffer under the dash
with the short cable the vdo vss sender installs inline under the hood , you could use a one piece speedo cable but you would have to order the right length from ebay auction and install the vdo vss sender at the transmission

Thank you for the response. To clarify, how would I wire the VDO VSS sender at the transmission? I am not clear on how this can be accomplished. Thanks for any help that can be offered.

Darren

the vdo sender has the male and female speedo cable ends, just instead of installing it under the hood with the two piece cable it could be screwed in at the transmission and then screw the one piece speedo cable on and just run the signal wires from the vdo sender to the vss buffer under the dash by the radio