Can anyone share some good coma recovery stories?

Dan K

I don't want to get into things too much, but my girlfriend was in a car accident about 5 weeks ago and has been in a coma since then with a severe head injury.
I guess she is technically out of/coming out of her coma, but it seems like the last couple of weeks have shown no improvement. She can open her eyes and move her arms and legs a little, but she isn't quite responding to us yet. It just crushes me to see her and to be able to look into her eyes and not be sure if she even knows what happened or what is going on.
According to the neurosurgical team that she had while in the hospital, they expect her recovery to be a long road and that she will probably have some permanent deficits. But I'm still holding onto the chance that she might be the same person she was before her accident.

So, does anyone have any stories about family or friends that they'd like to share that might give me a little bit of hope over the next couple of weeks/months as I try to get through this?

11 ¶ And it came to pass the day after, that he went into a city called Nain; and many of his disciples went with him, and much people.
12 Now when he came nigh to the gate of the city, behold, there was a dead man carried out, the only son of his mother, and she was a widow: and much people of the city was with her.
13 And when the Lord saw her, he had compassion on her, and said unto her, Weep not.
14 And he came and touched the bier: and they that bare him stood still. And he said, Young man, I say unto thee, Arise.
15 And he that was dead sat up, and began to speak. And he delivered him to his mother.
16 And there came a fear on all: and they glorified God, saying, That a great prophet is risen up among us; and, That God hath visited his people.
17 And this rumour of him went forth throughout all Judaea, and throughout all the region round about.

:)

Good scripture.

Here is a story I am not sure will help but I will relay it.

I used to work for this mom and pops pizza place a few years ago. There was a guy, I forget his name, but the owner hired him as a delivery driver. He seemed like a normal guy, a bit slow, but normal.

His story was this, he was an alcoholic and a harley guy. He was riding his harley drunk one night and went under a semi truck. He had no gear on and basically painted the road with his blood and skin. He was barely alive when the paramedics arrived but they did their job and shipped him off to a hospital in a coma. He was in a coma for over six months with no brain activity. He was pronounced dead and a priest was summoned to read him his last rights. After the priest did his thing they disconnected him from life support to let him die. One problem, he woke up.

That was probably twelve years ago. The guy is still married, doesnt drink, and will never get on a bike again. He can walk, talk, drive a car, and do most normal things but somethings just seem to make him stop. He has to have more time to process things but once you get to know him you respect him that much more for being a dead man walking in real life.

I guess what I am trying to say is that he made about a 95% recovery and was pronounced dead. That aint bad, I think your girlfriend could make a better recovery. I trully wish she is well and will come out of it being like she was before the accident.

Strikeagle, excellent response....put your trust in the Lord and believe that he is taking care of her.

i almost cried reading that, been goin through some hard times in a realationship that i just got out of and it felt really good to read that.

thanks

i died 5 times after a log fell off a logging truck and hit my car, i was in a coma for 5.5 months.....2yrs later and now i drive a log truck for a living. i always liked big trucks and i quite often would follow them on the highway and just watch and listen, i guess i got too close that day. so miricles can and do happen my man, hang in there...you woman will need your support and patience

My wifes cousin was in a bad car accident a while back. He layed in Shocktrama (?) for at least a month in a coma with head trama. We made more than one bonzi run to the hospital because he wasn't going to make it though the night. They were going to cut a piece of his skull out and put it in a freezer so his brain had more area to expand. Now several years later he has some issues but he is fine. Impulsivness is his only problem. He does things with out thinking it through.
Basically listen to the doctors but take the information with a grain of salt. They have alot of information on brain injuries, but they still have a long way to go. Keep the faith and hope for the best.

i had a bad head injury about 10 years ago. fell off a 10 ft ladder and landed on my head. although i wasnt in a coma for more than 3 days im ok now except for some nerve damage on the left side of my face. keep your spirits up and pray when ever you get the chance, it does work. good luck and ill keep ytou in my prayers.

I hope this helps. You have my prayers for her safe and speedy recovery.

For my first job, I worked in a fitness studio that my neighbor owned. I worked there for several years and finally became old enough to be trained as a fitness trainer.

After my training was complete, I was assigned to one person specifically. A boy, a few years older then I was at the time (maybe 20 or so). This kid had been in a severe accident in which he was driving. The passenger in his car was killed and the boy was in a coma for 3 months.

Anways, when I met this kid, he had just come out of the hospital and was starting his rehabilitation. He came to our fitness studio with a very specific rehab schedule. There were many trainers on hand available to help this kid, but the job was left to me (with supervision, of course). Week after week, for more then a year I worked with this kid and watched his progress. We spent many hours while he was rebuilding muscles from atrophy that had set in. He told me a lot about his accident and how he felt about what had happened to his friend. Told me how lucky he felt to have a second chance at life. Along with other not so serious topics, like which chick in the room was looking best that day.

After a while, I moved on to another job and slowly lost contact with this kid. A few years later, my neighbor passed a long a message that the kid said 'hi'. I was a little puzzled. I didn't think he would still be in rehab training. Come to find out, he wasn't in training any more. He became a trainer at the same studio that I worked at doing the same thing I used to. Training rehab patients.

I can't say that I see this 'kid' very often these days, but he turned out to be a very important lesson in my life about faith, hope and devine irony.

Like I said.. my best hopes and prayers are with you and your girlfriend. If and when your girlfriend has fitness training, be weary of the fitness trainer. They're very flirty. :)